• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Steering wheel off center

LUSKY75

Car
Mercedes c220 cdi amg sport plus estate
Can any one help?

I've just had some work done On my w204

Bottom.ball joints both sides, and Anti roll bar bushes.
Now the steering wheel is of centre , why??

Can any one help?

I've just had some work done On my w204

Bottom.ball joints both sides, and Anti roll bar bushes.
Now the steering wheel is of centre , why??
Because the wheel alignment needs to be reset.

Who did the work and why did they not do this?

Alignment can be perfect and the wheel still crooked. It needs the wheel re-centred by adjusting the track rod ends. If each is adjusted by the same amount the tracking will remain as it was.
Given that this situation arose after garage work, I'd take it back for rectification. There's an outside possibility that the garage swerved this as it didn't fancy tackling corroded track rod end adjuster threads.
There's no obvious reason why replacing the lower ball joints should cause this though. There is a possibility that incorrect assembly of the ARB could. Does it drive straight (hands off wheel) with the wheel crooked, or are you having to steer it straight and the wheel angle is then off centre?

Alignment can be perfect and the wheel still crooked. It needs the wheel re-centred by adjusting the track rod ends. If each is adjusted by the same amount the tracking will remain as it was.

Given that this situation arose after garage work, I'd take it back for rectification. There's an outside possibility that the garage swerved this as it didn't fancy tackling corroded track rod end adjuster threads.

There's no obvious reason why replacing the lower ball joints should cause this though. There is a possibility that incorrect assembly of the ARB could. Does it

There's no obvious reason why replacing the lower ball joints should cause this though. There is a possibility that incorrect assembly of the ARB could. Does it drive straight (hands off wheel) with the wheel crooked, or are you having to steer it straight and the wheel angle is then off centre?

drive straight (hands off wheel) with the wheel crooked, or are you having to steer it straight and the wheel angle is then off centre?

Hands off the wheel it goes to the left

When I let go of the steering wheel ,it goes to the left

Hi mate, when I let go of the steering wheel, it shoots to the left

You have been given the answer several times.

The wheel alignment (or "tracking") needs to be adjusted to centre the steering wheel.

Take it back to the garage that carried out the work.

Then there's more going on than merely the track rod ends needing balanced. I've just replaced the track rod ends on my Chevy and as I drive down the road the wheel is circa 20 degrees to the left - but the car runs down the road straight hands off the wheel. Adjusting the track rod ends will sort the wheel crookedness.
That yours is veering left suggests something more and I'm not convinced that replacing the lower ball joints has thrown the (tracking) alignment. Contrary to popular belief, a degree of steering self-centring (and steering stability) is accomplished by the weight of the vehicle acting through the steering geometry. A badly fitted ARB will load each side differently and the 'balance' that self-centres the steering will be lost.
I'd return the car to the garage and insist they rectify the problem suggesting that they check the ARB work first.

A badly fitted ARB will load each side differently and the 'balance' that self-centres the steering will be lost.
I'm not doubting this, but I'm interested in how?

I would have thought that a set length rod, with 2 pre defined fixing positions would merely exchange like for like.

I'm not doubting this, but I'm interested in how?

I would have thought that a set length rod, with 2 pre defined fixing positions would merely exchange like for like.
The problem is much less likely to be caused by the actual bushes the ARB rides in but in the drop links. The OP wasn't specific as to which bushes were changed but there's the possibility that the drop links were disturbed and if reassembled with the bush/washers/etc out of place then preloading of the ARB is possible.
I'm not saying that the ARB is the cause - only that given how easy to check it is it should be checked before digging a bigger hole.
If not the ARB, the question remains as to how rigidly fixed in space ball joint replacement could cause the OP's symptoms - at which point the ARB theory gains plausibility.

edit PS.
Four not two fixing positions for the ARB. It needs all four to function.

Four not two fixing positions for the ARB. It needs all four to function.
I'm not sure we're talking of the same component.

I'm not sure we're talking of the same component.

The four fixing positions I am referring to are the pair of bushes that mount the ARB to the chassis and, the other two at each end of the ARB connecting to each drop link.
Looking at the link in the link, it's less likely that the problem is with the ARB. When I wrote what I did, I had in mind the type of link that passes through a wishbone and has rubber bush/washers either side of the wishbone - as per photo below.

1717761061542.png

Last edited:
Reactions: m80
Thanks, I was concerned I was doing summat wrong. And it's good to learn :thumb:.

Garage knew nothing about the steering job they did ..i know it happened to me .Took three garages to pit it right ..Steering wheel should have been locked in place in the dead ahead centre .Before any work id done on the front end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom