Supercharge problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
b1g1an said:
If a pump was replaced by an MB dealer anyone know if it would it be the 010 pump or the original weak version?

Hello mate I have just replaced my original ic pump with a Johnson unit from Andy at PCD this weekend. Well worth the exchange! I would suggest go for the Johnson item. Give Andy a call he will put you in the right direction:)

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Does it happen at a specific RPM or across a wider rev range while cruising?

Good point, thanks. Will check that out.

Would it be a certain issue if it was at a certain RPM, its certainly from low down revs, ie around 1500 - 2000-ish, will confirm tonight.

Thanks!

This is the rev range that the SC Clutch will engage when under increased load.

I have a theory and have been able to replicate it and showed the data to a couple of tuners who agreed that it is plausible but didnt have a definitive answer or solution.

While cruising the ECU will go into closed loop to run at opitimal efficiency and adapt according to the data it see's, under load the ECU should switch to open loop and use the ECU's predetermined settings or map as it tends to be called. Our cars have a separate system for each cylinder bank on data loggers it is normal referred to as fuel status or OL status (open loop), and displays as on or off.
Majority of the time my car does this as it should but on occasions one or both of the cylinder banks stays in closed loop.
At the rpm you are referring to the SC clutch comes into play so under increased load the supercharger clutch engages creating boost and increased air but if both cylinder banks stay in closed loop there is a hesitation. From what I can see this is a fuelling issue mostly and only happens if both banks stay in closed loop at the point the SC engages.
When both banks are in open loop at the time the SC clutch engages and you increase the load the car just accelerates without hesitation.
You can drive around the issue but do as you have which is putting a slight load giving the ECU the time it needs to switch and then increasing load.
The issues seems to stem from the adaptations that the ECU will perform over time as after a default initialisation in STAR the issue will go away but will slowly return after several journeys that include light cruising.

Hello mate I have just replaced my original ic pump with a Johnson unit from Andy at PCD this weekend. Well worth the exchange! I would suggest go for the Johnson item. Give Andy a call he will put you in the right direction:)

Appreciate the response but mine's got an MB warranty on it so if it's in need of replacing I'll take what they're offering for now. Not planning on doing anything drastic to the car, hence the question and I'd also got the impression it was take your pick between the Bosch 010 and the Johnson, both being a huge improvement on the original Bosch.

I went for a track day yesterday and encountered this actual issue.

When i originally queried a different issue that i thought could possibly related, i think that could be down to a dodgy coil, lead or plug as i have noticed a slight misfire.

The first lap was fine, then subsequent laps it kept losing power, felt like it was on about half power!

Will get around to ordering a new IC pump soon.

Thanks for the info in the thread.

Have a look at the eurocharged ones. Not too badly priced either.

W126 said:
Thanks for the tip. It wouldnt be often but might be worthwhile at the same time. Any thoughts on supplier / cost?

We can supply.

Go with olly as he will be cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom