Surrey Get Together - 23/09/2006

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W210 Fan

MB Enthusiast
Car
W140 S500L W208 430
Dont know if any of you are familiar with The Albian Tavern in Farnham but after Sebmbcgtg Ii we decided to hold a Surrey get together there as there are a few of us members who live in this great county, I know the manager there very well (its the missus) and she said we could have a bit of a GTG there in her car park, date wise I am thinking Saturday 23rd September 2006,

I hope to see lots of people there, new faces are obviously welcome,

Directions, postcodes etc as follows;

2 Hale Rd
Farnham
GU9 9QH

http://www.farnham.gov.uk/businesscdc7.html?b=38

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse....blic&addr2=&quicksearch=GU9 9Qh&addr3=&addr1=

Please let me know attendees numbers incase we out grow the car park, any probs then PM me,

You can count me in :)

Will

I've been looking to go to or organise a gtg in Surrey for a while - though to be honest I'm not a fan of turning up to a pub car park. Are there any events going on? There is another thread for a gtg in Surrey for the Bisley NRA Open Day.

Last weekends mini-GTG was a success, as are similar ones such as the recent Northern GTG (also at a pub/bar I think)

It gives you an opportunity to meet and relax in hospitable conditions (eg toilets/availability of a drink/food) and with decent parking allows people to look at each others cars easily :)

Also gives an alternative for friends/partners who may not be such serious petrolheads as us lot or shelter in case of bad weather ;)

I think with W210 Fan being on such good terms with the proprietor it has all the makings of a great venue :rock:

Will

Sept. 23rd is possible for me at the moment, will need to confirm nearer the time.

BTB 500 said:
Sept. 23rd is possible for me at the moment, will need to confirm nearer the time.

Me to.

Gentlemen I am afraid to say that no official type of meet may be had in the car park due to the top managment (thats above girlie) not wanting it so I am afraid the meet there is a no go, I will still be in the pub as there is an open mike night..........

stats007 said:
I've been looking to go to or organise a gtg in Surrey for a while - though to be honest I'm not a fan of turning up to a pub car park. Are there any events going on? There is another thread for a gtg in Surrey for the Bisley NRA Open Day.

Second chance at that if anybody is up for it. The Sept. open day was cancelled due to flooding at Bisley but is now rescheduled for Saturday 14 October.

http://www.nsc-bisley.co.uk/common/asp/openday/openregister.asp

Great advantage is that there are lots of other things to do when the conversation on the merits or otherwise of Silv... Shiney Grey paint palls. i.e:

*Air Rifle
*Gallery Rifle
*Shotgun
*Target Rifle
*Practical Rifle
*Precision Snap Shooting
*Sporting Rifle
*Match Rifle and F Class Rifle at 1000 yards
*Black powder Pistols and Shotguns
*Historical Firearms (that's me)
*Archery

Probably worth a mention in the Air Rifle thread - I'm up for it if the weather is nice.

BTB 500 said:

Will be away now. The Bisley GTG sounds good.

BTB 500 said:
Me too, but don't you have to pre-register to get in?

There is a pre-registration system available on the National Shooting Centre and NRA websites and in person at the NRA Bisley Offices.

http://www.nsc-bisley.co.uk/common/asp/openday/openregister.asp

Spaces are limited and to avoid some waiting time do that now.

A further Registration form needs to be filled in on arrival. A form of identification (eg credit card, driving licence etc) is required and at that point and you buy vouchers to be redeemed at the events of your choice. Trick is to turn up early.

If it rains all is not lost unless gets to flooding! The NSC clay complex has under cover firing points and all the Gallery ranges are enclosed. The Century & Stickledown ranges are open air but the 300m firing points are under cover.

Some other firing points will have various forms of tented protection but otherwise you can get a bit wet. But we sneer at such trifles

Satch said:
Some other firing points will have various forms of tented protection but otherwise you can get a bit wet. But we sneer at such trifles

And I compete (and judge) at dog agility shows in rain, mud, snow etc. But I'd rather not get the SL wet and muddy ;)

Not clear about registration for this event. Is it mandatory in order to get into the venue, or only if you want to fire guns? Likely that I'd have OH plus 2 small kids in tow ... would they need to register?

I haven't been into Bisley since I used to shoot there with my grandfather in the late 60s / early 70s :)

BTB 500 said:
Not clear about registration for this event. Is it mandatory in order to get into the venue, or only if you want to fire guns? Likely that I'd have OH plus 2 small kids in tow ... would they need to register?

Only need to Register if you want to shoot otherwise non shooters wander about. There are a load of stalls selling all manner of stuff so on that level it is a country fair with the sound effects of a modest war in the background, especially when somebody gets bored and lets off a blank charge from their cannon.

After Registration get a wrist band which identifies you as being permitted access to the firing points, which is very strictly controlled. Once you are allowed onto the firing point supervised 1:1 for everything the whole time (by people like me).

Kids of 11-ish can shoot if deemed fit & capable by the presiding Range Control Officer and also accompanied by a parent at all times. This is because we treat everybody the same, i,e as if they are children:rolleyes:

Last time round had quite a few kids who fancied their chances with a Lee Enfield (Long Lee, SMLE and No4's, L39's or Envoys) Moisin Nagant or a Mauser K98, at which point gave the smaller ones my heavily padded target shooting jacket to wear or a pad to stop them getting beaten up by the recoil. Quite a few OH's as well had a go.

BTW you can still shoot handguns as long as they are muzzle loaders. So there will be folk cracking off with modern repros of cap and ball black powder revolvers that last saw serious use in the 1860's or a modern take on them such as the Ruger Old Army. (If you feek brave ask them to have a go with a Walker Dragoon replica if they have one this time)

Found these old pictures last night - Bisley as I remember it in the late 60s!

Plus a shot of me practising with (IIRC) a Webley & Scott .22 CO2 pistol in my grandparents' back garden.

bisleya.jpg

bisleyb.jpg

bisleyc.jpg

shooting.jpg

Wow I didnt realise that Jack Nickelson was your dad.
I'm a great fan.

nigel cross said:
Wow I didnt realise that Jack Nickelson was your dad.
I'm a great fan.

That's my step-Grandfather ... bit of a gun nut! Into cars and bikes too, he commuted into London on a Honda 400 and drove a showroom-condition Jaguar XK 150S with the reg plate "S150". It ended up in a museum somewhere, the one at Gaydon I think.

EzsJag.jpg

Oh yes, he carried a sword stick! :eek:

The old pistol gallery ranges at Bisley still exist in much the same state (complete with ye olde hand winding target retrieval system) although they have not been used for a few years now.

And I really must start a new thread with the right date....

Satch said:
The old pistol gallery ranges at Bisley still exist in much the same state (complete with ye olde hand winding target retrieval system) although they have not been used for a few years now.

Used to enjoy shooting "advancing men" on those :)

BTB 500
Was your Great grandfathers name John Steed by any chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom