Tailgate is open but it isn't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnightOwl1984

Car
B Class 180d 2015
Hi guys, I have a 2015 MB B Class 180d. The issue I'm having is for the last two days when the car is started the computer/centre display states that the tailgate is open, as part of that when you go into reverse the camera doesn't engage. On top of that, when the car is locked by the key fob the alarm intermittently goes off.... such as 2am, 4am. I've now go round the alarm issue by removing fuse 85 from the passenger footwell - this disables the siren when the alarm is triggered, but provides a light show when triggered. For locking I am currently opening the drivers door, pressing the door lock button so the boot and the 3 other doors lock and using the key in the fob to lock the door so the alarm doesn't engage.

I've had the tailgate stripped down and removed all plastic trim to check the electric contacts. In investigation the tailgate latch cable was covered in corrosion. After contact spray cleaner, brushing it all away to clean it up I thought I had cracked it, when I assembled the cables back and tested it worked straight away. After a few trips in the car, the issue has started again stating that the tailgate is open.
The pink connector is the latch. The yellow cable/pin was corroded.

Apart from getting the car plugged into an ODBII reader to see what codes are present, does anyone have any ideas what is going off here.

Appreciate the advice and guidance.

Regards,

Dan

Attachments

• 20210103_095742.jpg
    20210103_095742.jpg
    914.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210103_095719.jpg
    20210103_095719.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
It's usually the microswitch inside the lock that gets corrosion. You can try taking it apart and getting contact cleaner straight into it.

I had this on my car all b it a 2006, tailgate handle was issue and seal around it was letting the water in, the water corroed all connections, but there was a 2nd issue on my car that the micro switche in handle just wore out, would start to unlock but never go as far as actually moving the lock to open

So I removed the locking mechanism from the boot lid and as stated above it was corroded. Cleaned it out and applied contact cleaner, the 4 pins are now looking shiny again. Re-applied the locking mechanism and so far... it appears to be working.

Still got the issue with the alarm triggering when all doors are locked. Fuse 85 is still out of the board. Does anything think this is alarm siren module which is at fault?

Just want to thank you for your responses on here. The problems are now solved. Fuse back in the car and the alarm is no longer going off. This can be marked as resolved.

Thanks again.

Thank you very much for coming back and updating us. A useful thread with some helpful pictures and a fairly quick resolution. Plus I hope you saved big vs. chucking at the Mercedes dealership 👍

Thank you very much for coming back and updating us. A useful thread with some helpful pictures and a fairly quick resolution. Plus I hope you saved big vs. chucking at the Mercedes dealership 👍
Yeah here is some more information which you might find useful.

The handle strip part number is A2467401601-64 and the price for that is £88.20
The tailgate locking mechanism which was at fault in my case; the part number is A2467401301 and the price for that is £91+VAT

So a huge savings.

MB seam to be a leak magnet

Mine let water in from vents behind bumper, tailgate seal, rear light seals, tailgate handle seal, do a you tube search for your car and check floor of ya boot Inc spare wheel recess, and check if you have any electronica in this area it can get real expensive very fast

Tezz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom