• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Tailgate opening inconsistency

Car
2014 E350
Hi all, I've got an inconsistency when opening my tailgate on my 2014 W212. Upon using the button on the tailgate, it'll usually fully open as it should but sometimes it'll just unlatch itself an inch or so. On those occasions another press of the tailgate button fully opens it.
I had wondered if a quick touch was meant to merely unlatch it with a 'proper' one fully opening it but I don't see any mention of that in the handbook.
I 'think' it's always fine when using the key fob or the release in the driver's door.
Ideas?

It could be a loose connection in the tailgate button, or the button is beginning to fail. Think of the switch inside the lid to close the bootlid - it also functions as a stop button. So when the boot is opening, you press that once and it stops opening, you press it again and it starts closing. I think the tailgate button is the same, and when you press to open, it thinks you have pressed twice, so unlatches and then stops. Can you pull it apart and give all connections a good clean?

It could be a loose connection in the tailgate button, or the button is beginning to fail. Think of the switch inside the lid to close the bootlid - it also functions as a stop button. So when the boot is opening, you press that once and it stops opening, you press it again and it starts closing. I think the tailgate button is the same, and when you press to open, it thinks you have pressed twice, so unlatches and then stops. Can you pull it apart and give all connections a good clean?
Thanks. However it has also recently done it when using the button in the driver's door and the fob 🤦. I 'think' it tends to just be the first time each day but it's something I'll need to keep an eye on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom