Tar spots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Claying tar will mar the paint. And also trash the clay.

I missed a spot of tar once and during the claying stage it quickly became apparent exactly where it was, absolute nightmare to get off and sort out

I missed a spot of tar once and during the claying stage it quickly became apparent exactly where it was, absolute nightmare to get off and sort out
It will come off, especially if you use harder clay, but it will mar more.

That's why the chemical decontamination stage is important.

If you are machine polishing the car, you can get away with it right enough, I just preferred to do it right, especially on a customers car.

as already mentioned. Use a dedicated tar remover. The Bilt Hamber range is probably the best IMO. In fact they are so strong that many of there products can be diluted with water 50/50 and will still work gar better than many others.
as for claybars Don't use clay to remove tar or fallout as it will damage the paint
its far safer to remove all contaminates with chemical than abrasive contact, and also far easier to top up your coating rather than removing paint defects.
BH auto wash is a great car shampoo and can also be used neat to remove tar deposits

What does it (even diluted) do to the wax on the car if it strips tar ?
It takes the wax off too - but it’s much easier to put the wax back on afterwards than it is to polish out the scratches that using a clay bar to remove the contaminants can leave.

It takes the wax off too - but it’s much easier to put the wax back on afterwards than it is to polish out the scratches that using a clay bar to remove the contaminants can leave.

I'm wondering what happens to the wax when you wash the car normally with the BH shampoo if it will remove tar.:)

Every time the car is cleaned no matter what you use wax is removed by touching it and pressure washing it.

BH shampoo is 5ml to 10litres so it's extremely diluted (2000:1? bad maths) it may not remove large deposits of tar but may remove pin head sized ones if left to dwell a bit. My car is black can't see the tar anyway lol.

BH auto wash is a great car shampoo and can also be used neat to remove tar deposits

Good tip I'll give this a try on the missus car it never occurred to me to use it neat on tar. I knew it could be used a pre-wash spot cleaner but didn't think it could handle tar.

It'd be worth keeping in mind though any tar remover will more than likely strip the treated area of it protective/sacrificial layer as that's what it is designed to do .... remove.

BH Auto wash is only around PH8.5 if memory serves.... its also good very good as a safe prewash for light soiling on the car... add 20ml to your cannon and top with water.

Use a dedicated tar remover for tar spots like mentioned - The most effective, and also cost effective ones are Autosmart Tardis or Powermaxed Tar Off. Just be aware that they will bleach black plastic and rubber. The way to get around this is to spray finely on the car and use a microfibre cloth to spread it. Leave to dwell for about 2-3 minutes and you should see the tar starting to break down.

Some tar spots are notoriously stubborn however, and will need a clay bar. Whilst the argument of "marring" is correct, if you're decontaminating a car, I would assume you're going to polish afterwards anyway in which case it doesn't really matter and despite what anyone says, clay barring is the most effective tar removal method

You may also notice brown rusty looking spots for which you need a fallout remover.

Worth remembering not to do any of this in bright sunlight as tar/fallout remover will dry on the surface, make it dull and need to be machine polished to remove.

First choice is tar remover, it doesnt take much to dissolve and wipe away, other times ill use a thumb nail to flick it off and polish away with wax

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom