The good, the bad and the ugly....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palmball

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi R8 V10+ & BMW M5
Evening all!

Well then, after a couple of years away from Mercedes sampling the utter sh!tness of Audi reliability (in an R8)...followed by the wonders of Porsche perfection (911, Cayenne, Macan and briefly 718 Boxster....but the less said about the 718 the better), I find myself in the tricky situation of having twins on the way. F**k!

I've therefore acquired one of the most preposterous family wagons I could and what is clearly Mercedes' most desirable model....:D

ORG_DSC09038_Fotor_zpsjbbifxav.jpg

ORG_DSC09036_Fotor_zps1v1z5yde.jpg

ORG_DSC09052_Fotor_zps0nhdiydl.jpg

ORG_DSC09047_Fotor_zpscvieussg.jpg

ORG_DSC09058_Fotor_zpsgvgqfuyj.jpg

What a beaut eh! :p

Despite the undoubted marmite effect this car has, I reckon these AMG SUV's are tremendous pieces of kit. I had a couple of ML63's previously so you could say I really rate them.

In fact, by comparison I actually bought a Range Rover Sport SVR to start with but, quite frankly, the quality was a bit sh!t so I rejected it within the first month and sourced this instead. I honestly reckon it's better in almost any objective measure compared to the SVR, although I accept there's some subjective areas it falls behind (such as perceived prestige).

Sure, a Cayenne probably drives a bit better (they're more agile) but they don't sound as good and unless they have the anti-roll PDCC fitted, they don't have the cast iron body control of the GLE, which has AMG's version of PDCC (Active Curve System) fitted as standard. Cayenne's are also a bit common and they lack many of surprise and eight features of the Merc....I mean, the star hologram is surely worth the purchase price alone! :laugh: One could never accuse these AMG's of being common (there may be a reason for that) and indeed, they're quite rare so getting a used one in the spec/colour I wanted was quite hard - no complaints with this though, it has every option ticked.

Should prove adequate to shuttle the new family about.

OK, it goes downhill from here. Admittedly, I got the ‘good’ one out the way first but now we must move onto my second recently acquired AMG…..the 'bad'(ass), 'ugly' one :p

Maybe this will be more to everyones taste?

IMG_0304_zps7wnsyki3.jpg

IMG_0313_zps3cpnp4q8.jpg

IMG_0306_zpszxdyzmz0.jpg

IMG_0316_zps7oarzccb.jpg

IMG_0319_zpsdj4hs78w.jpg

IMG_0323_zps3lvk9km7.jpg

Some may remember that I tried one of these when they first came out but I only had it for a few months before moving onto the new R8 (the Audi was a fabulous piece of kit but it proved to be one of the least reliable cars I’ve ever had).

I’m a huge AMG fan but honestly, even I find these AMG GT’s less than immediately endearing cars. They're very raw (much rawer than the Porsche Carrera 4 GTS I had earlier this year) and they’ve taken one of the best steering racks in any car I've driven (the SLS AMG) and almost ruined it by turning up the power assistance too much….so it remains super direct but far too light.

I didn’t really give my first AMG GT a chance before moving it on but, fast forward a couple of years and I was offered nearly as much for my 911 (after 4 months and 6k miles) as I paid for it new, so I was on the lookout for a replacement. These AMG GT's are now great value used, so I thought I'd give one another shot and what an example I found - here we have another car with every option (bar the expensive Solarbeam yellow paint) ticked.

And you know what, it’s still a hard car to get used to. It’s that steering, which is actually quite feelsome and wonderfully direct, but far too light. And with the Dynamic Plus Pack fitted, it has a very robust ride so it does move around quite a bit.

However, I've persevered with it and I've learned to appreciate some really good aspects - the amazingly well-controlled damping once you look beyond that robust ride quality, an amazingly stiff chassis structure like nothing else I've driven (even the half carbon tub R8 did not feel as structurally stiff as these spaceframe-structured AMG's), excellent engine response which sounds really good (although it could do with a bit more aural zing at the top end if I was being critical, but I guess that’s the way with turbo’s) and utterly superb ceramic brakes.

All that said, it's the more subjective areas where it really scores because it feels way more special to look at and be in than the 911 ever was. As something to get in and drive, I’d say the latest 991.2 GTS has the edge as it had so much new tech that was so well integrated and so effective at doing the job of going down the road....fast. But as an ownership prospect, as something to makes you feel more special being in it and something that attracts extremely positive attention, I’ll give that to the AMG.

Last edited:
Both very very nice motors, whats the Bmw? 335d xdrive? Any good?

Both very very nice motors, whats the Bmw? 335d xdrive? Any good?

It was actually an M3 Competition Pack. I got it to tide me over after rejecting the Range Rover SVR until I could source a replacement big car for my wife.

We ended up keeping it for a couple of months but I have to say, I'm not a fan.

It looked tremendous, and it had superb seats, a great driving position and impressive technology (BMW are so far ahead in terms of telematics and real time traffic displays). However, it had truly terrible steering (heavy and wooden), poor traction, it didn't sound great, the gearbox felt quite dated for a dual clutcher and the body control was only OK. The Competition Pack is materially better than the standard one but, for given it's an M3, it wasn't good enough. I had a couple of the previous V8 M3's a few years ago and really rated them, but these days I much prefer the C63 (or even the new Alfa which is also supposedly a much better drive).

AMG GT ohmygodyesplease. When they've depreciated (a lot) I'll be all over one of those. Epic car list!
We have twins, now 13 years old. Nice leather on the GLE... wait 'til you have to pick bits of carrot out of the perforations with a cocktail stick... I recommend a watertight roofbox with isofix mounts inside :eek:

Firstly - congrats on expecting twins - your life is about to get hugely more busy!

Also wow that’s quite a set of car changing but par for the course for you palmball.

I’ve got to say that the GLE is a bit “special” looks wise to me. I’m sure it’s good to drive but I can’t get past the looks.

I did look at the AMG GT when I bought the 911 but it’s too wide to get in my garage, although mostly I preferred the handling/ride/tech/lack of depreciation(I keep cars longer than you) of the Porsche. I’ve got to say the AMG GT does have a great look - much better than the Porsche in terms of being distinctive. Did you consider the DB11? I’m thinking of another toy to go with the 911 and I’ve quite a list from Lambo’s to a Morgan Aero8 but only the SLS appeals from Mercedes.

Last edited:
Having had numerous “marmite” cars and loving them, then I think your GLE looks perfect. Menacing with a touch of class......

Jules

Hey Palmy, long time no hear from! Congratulations on the news of the twins, and congrats on the newly acquired twins of the 4 wheel variety!

Both awesome machines and both look well spec`d up!

hopefully see you at some of the meets if you can escape from the twins :)

I honestly reckon it's better in almost any objective measure compared to the SVR.

... Apart from noise ;) that F-Type lump with a silly exhaust makes that car an absolute storm.

Do you mind going into the issues with the R8? I've had the polar opposite in terms of reliability, where every Audi I've had has been bullet proof and the Mercedes absolute dogshit (£10k engine build for mine, and then 2 brand new courtesy cars break on me too). I was planning on getting an R8 this coming summer, so would be interesting to know what to look out for if there are issues.

Welcome back :)

I missed the twins bit! I have twin boy and girl, 6 years old now. When we knew we were going to have them, as we already had a (at that time) 2 year old girl it was a real transport quandary! 3 x baby seats in a car of some sort - I had a (ahem) Peugeot 407SW at the time and the wife a (ahem) Citroen C3....
The Pug went to be replaced by a Galaxy 7 seater...soon after the Shitroen was replaced by my first Merc- a C180K coupe....Things have moved on a pace- I have the E63, and we have a Volvo XC90. Not quite up to your standards!!

nice cars and nice house! you've done well, well done sir! Can we have a look at your garage? :D

The only thing i find a bit :confused: is the merc badge projection onto the floor, a bit 'look at me!'. I don't know what's worse, that or a projection of the word - Mercedes Benz.

Need to see more pics:D

Firstly - congrats on expecting twins - your life is about to get hugely more busy!

Also wow that’s quite a set of car changing but par for the course for you palmball.

I’ve got to say that the GLE is a bit “special” looks wise to me. I’m sure it’s good to drive but I can’t get past the looks.

I did look at the AMG GT when I bought the 911 but it’s too wide to get in my garage, although mostly I preferred the handling/ride/tech/lack of depreciation(I keep cars longer than you) of the Porsche. I’ve got to say the AMG GT does have a great look - much better than the Porsche in terms of being distinctive. Did you consider the DB11? I’m thinking of another toy to go with the 911 and I’ve quite a list from Lambo’s to a Morgan Aero8 but only the SLS appeals from Mercedes.

Thanks.

I didn't consider the DB11 (can't really get on with the looks and a bit too expensive still) but I did look at a slightly older (2015) Vanquish. What a pile of dogsh*t. I've always wanted an Aston and they look tremendous so I actually paid a deposit on one at AM Wilmslow just before I sold my 911. Went there to test drive it and finalise all the paperwork, came away with my deposit back.

It's got to be one of the worst cars I've driven in a very long time and to think that just a few years ago someone paid £200k for it....well, they were just buying the badge.

The engine was nice, but it felt slower than my considerably less powerful 911. Bit the chassis was the most disappointing where, on a high speed corner, the car would corkscrew. Then the gearbox, oh wow....the one I went to buy had the older ZF 6 speeder and I never remember it being that bad in any BMW or JLR product. Then I drove a newer 8 speeder to see if it was worth the extra and it was certainly better, but not a patch on what o was used to. The seats were cr@p and the build quality was the worst I've come across in any modern era car. Indeed, the sheer volume of creaks, clonks rattles and buzzes was eye watering.

This is my daily driver so, as someone used to the general engineering excellence of the big German brands I simply could not live with an Aston, neither get my head round the cost of it versus the very modest capabilities. So, so disappointing and both the 911 I had at the time and the GT now are in another league.

Having had numerous “marmite” cars and loving them, then I think your GLE looks perfect. Menacing with a touch of class......

Jules

Yep, the fact not everyone likes it (indeed it seems to upset people which is quite amusing) is one of the things I like about having it. It has so much presence (helps by its size) too, so people pretty much get out of its way.

Hey Palmy, long time no hear from! Congratulations on the news of the twins, and congrats on the newly acquired twins of the 4 wheel variety!

Both awesome machines and both look well spec`d up!

hopefully see you at some of the meets if you can escape from the twins :)

Hi mate, thanks and yeah, I'll probably be in much need of some relief in the new future. Will keep my eye out in events for some get togethers.

... Apart from noise ;) that F-Type lump with a silly exhaust makes that car an absolute storm.

Do you mind going into the issues with the R8? I've had the polar opposite in terms of reliability, where every Audi I've had has been bullet proof and the Mercedes absolute dogshit (£10k engine build for mine, and then 2 brand new courtesy cars break on me too). I was planning on getting an R8 this coming summer, so would be interesting to know what to look out for if there are issues.

I actually much prefer the sound of the AMG to the SVR. No doubt the SVR is distinctive and very loud, but honestly I found it a bit ridiculous. As someone who loves a nice V8 noise, I just found it was trying too hard and it was also rather contrived. One moment it was burbling along naturally and the next moment (at about 4K) it was screaming and it all seems a bit fake and forced.

No, I much prefer the more natural sound of the AMG engine which, although not quite as loud as the SVR at the extreme (but probably louder low down the rev range and still very distinctive and easily heard) is a lot more consistent and doesn't artificially change as you go through the revs.

Despite the AMG only having about 30bhp more, it feels like it'd drop the SVR in terms of performance.

The R8, where to start.

I bought one of the first gen-2 V10 Plus's and it was a fabulous thing to drive. But the problems ranged from the minor things like constantly creaking seats to more serious things like electrical failures (it needed a new virtual dashboard at about 8 weeks old), flaking paint, clonking / rattling front suspension (seemingly a design fault given three others I drove did the same) and onto things like actual breakdowns with fuel pump failures which they never got to the bottom of.

It was bad enough that after 6 months I successfully rejected it. Big mistake. The brand new replacement was worse with some different issues (the most annoying being a sticky / creaky steering rack that took months to fix) but many other issues were the same, including the failed fuel pumps leaving me with half an engine working.

The problems also put me into the hands of Audi dealers who, I think, are the most incompetent dealers I have come across. Maybe a bit unfair, but they're used to dealer with A3's and they just seemed out of their depth on the R8.

The selling dealer refused to deal with me after replacing the first car, so I used another one for all the issues the second one had. But I gave up after a further 6 months and decided to sue the selling dealer (who were delighted to hear from me again lol) to get my money back. I didn't get it all back, but let's say the process recovered thousands more than I would've got just trading it in.

I would love another R8 because, that clonking suspension aside, it was really fabulous to drive and I do toy with the idea every now and then, but it'd be a brave move to do it a third time.

I missed the twins bit! I have twin boy and girl, 6 years old now. When we knew we were going to have them, as we already had a (at that time) 2 year old girl it was a real transport quandary! 3 x baby seats in a car of some sort - I had a (ahem) Peugeot 407SW at the time and the wife a (ahem) Citroen C3....
The Pug went to be replaced by a Galaxy 7 seater...soon after the Shitroen was replaced by my first Merc- a C180K coupe....Things have moved on a pace- I have the E63, and we have a Volvo XC90. Not quite up to your standards!!

An E63 and XC90 I'd say is right up there, two very good cars! Our W212 E63 that we had a couple,of years ago was one of my favourite cars.

Thanks.

I didn't consider the DB11 (can't really get on with the looks and a bit too expensive still) but I did look at a slightly older (2015) Vanquish. What a pile of dogsh*t. I've always wanted an Aston and they look tremendous so I actually paid a deposit on one at AM Wilmslow just before I sold my 911. Went there to test drive it and finalise all the paperwork, came away with my deposit back.

It's got to be one of the worst cars I've driven in a very long time and to think that just a few years ago someone paid £200k for it....well, they were just buying the badge.

The engine was nice, but it felt slower than my considerably less powerful 911. Bit the chassis was the most disappointing where, on a high speed corner, the car would corkscrew. Then the gearbox, oh wow....the one I went to buy had the older ZF 6 speeder and I never remember it being that bad in any BMW or JLR product. Then I drove a newer 8 speeder to see if it was worth the extra and it was certainly better, but not a patch on what o was used to. The seats were cr@p and the build quality was the worst I've come across in any modern era car. Indeed, the sheer volume of creaks, clonks rattles and buzzes was eye watering.

Two weeks ago Mrs Red and I went to Aston Martin Sevenoaks and went through the same process. The cars look lovely but the moment you go in them it was like they were still stuck in the 90's inside. We quite liked the Vanquish Volante (but the back looks a bit awkward) The SatNav was woeful.

I didn't like the DB11 at all. The best looking car there was the DBS still. Or a very late model DB9GT - I just couldn't get on with the interior or the square optional steering wheel they all seem to have.

Unlike you I'm less bothered about driving dynamics as it's GT cars that appeal to me. Coming from an R8 or 911 GTS the Aston is about as sporty as a Bentley Continental so it's a bit apples and oranges.

If they could manage to do Aston Martin Exterior with Bentley Interior design and quality they'd be on to a winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom