Thermostat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

suty455

Car
E350 CDI
Hi all new member been lurking a for a while, bought my long looked for dream car last Tuesday and have a few issues I need to resolve, Its a 2011 E350 Blue efficiency Avant-garde Estate, the Thermostat seems to be failed in an open state as the car takes a while to warm will hit 80 in traffic but falls down below 60 on a run and obviously MPG is suffering, nobody has these in stock including MB nor can they give me a ETA as there are non in Germany, I can get the one without the sensor but not the one with it, so question is can the stat internals be changed from diagrams it looks like it can be but the wires to the sensor worry me, what exactly is it? if its left unplugged will the ECU think there is a problem?

Does anyone have a potential source of a stat for this at all?

Cold starting seems a bit hit and miss, injectors have been out and tested all ok, Garage has removed and checked Glowplugs they seem ok so am now looking at the relay which funnily enough is next to the stat 2 birds me thinks, however am not able to buy the beru one so will an oem such as Champion do? I would buy MB but its eye wateringly expensive for probably the same part truth be told.

Jobs done new wheels and Tyres (18s)
Aircon regassed
Full valet
Rear shock mounts replaced

to do Respray both sides due to poor key scratch repairs
Stat
Starting issue
Knock on rear n/s Airmatic on harsh bumps still not resolved

Attachments

• forum pic.jpg
    forum pic.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 8
Did you ask your mb dealer to check stock of other dealers for a thermostat. The sensor can be a small heater ,piggy backed to the ecu and maf for fuelling . As for the relay , beru are readilly available on ebay from around £86.

I've had a few 211 and had to replace the thermostat on each one. About £60 plus fitting if memory serves. I believe it can be a DIY job for some owners

Did you ask your mb dealer to check stock of other dealers for a thermostat. The sensor can be a small heater ,piggy backed to the ecu and maf for fuelling . As for the relay , beru are readilly available on ebay from around £86.
No I didnt to be honest after the call I called MB UK who are looking into it, have just tracked one down in Germany and paid for it online so hopefully will be with me soon

I've had a few 211 and had to replace the thermostat on each one. About £60 plus fitting if memory serves. I believe it can be a DIY job for some owners
Fittings no issue its availability its only 3 bolts and a plug so straight forward, its a S212 but similar stat to the 211

Fittings no issue its availability its only 3 bolts and a plug so straight forward, its a S212 but similar stat to the 211
One of those 3 bolts, the larger one, is a bit of a bugger to get out - a fair bit of other stuff has to be removed first. There's another thread in this section that goes into detail about it.

Pete

Too late for the OP, but I bought a new 'stat from MB Newcastle a few weeks ago - £164.

Too late for the OP, but I bought a new 'stat from MB Newcastle a few weeks ago - £164.
Have you got the part number?

Yes they list on Ebay as well but no stock MB UK has no stock nor do they have stock in Germany and no ETA, very poor if you ask me what was that old adage about being able to repair a MB anywhere in the world?
Have now got 2 on order one from Germany made by Metzger who are I believe the OE supplier to Mercedes and one from Gates who probably buy from them anyway but thats in the UK intrestingly nobody lists this stat for my vehicle they all list the non sensor one

"...repair an MB anywhere in the world..." Those days are long gone , and not necessarily just for MB . Legends like Toyota and Land Rover (unless you stick to the base models) can be just as difficult to repair 'anywhere in the world' ..unless taken to a main dealer :)

"...repair an MB anywhere in the world..." Those days are long gone , and not necessarily just for MB . Legends like Toyota and Land Rover (unless you stick to the base models) can be just as difficult to repair 'anywhere in the world' ..unless taken to a main dealer :)
Electrickery is a killer for sure but cmon a thermostat! granted it could be removed and driven but even so the great multinational MB has not got a Thermostat for one of its cars is a very bad thing.

suty try buying the pins and plate hardware kit for the rear brakes of a 2006 C55 from a main MB dealer . Despite the car standing outside in the car park and various photos of C55's being shown to the parts department of other C55's having exactly the same rear brake callipers (different to all other non AMG S203 C class) they insisted that the brakes had been modified because they did not match what was on their laptops screens .

A few days later I got the full set from a UK part supplier (Rochdale I think ?) for about £12 , it actually said 'Merc vented rear kit' on the invoice.

Fast forward a year or so while working in the USA I popped into local NAPA store , they sell parts for all sorts (mainly American cars, natch) I asked the bloke about rear brakes for 2006 C55 , no VIN or reg required and within moments he had on his screen the correct callipers with rebuild seal kit , spring plates , pins and a choice of pads . go figure as they say over there 🤷‍♂️.

I did reach out to that MB dealer with a personal visit later on but they were just not interested.

Note the rear on a C55 is the same as the C43 that went before it if anyone is interested.

Apropos the actual thermostat, apart from the little immersion heater down the middle the assembly is identical to those without said immersion heater, though four times the price of a non-heated bare thermostat off eBay from a reputable manufacturer like Gates. When I had mine replaced, I took a close look at the innards of the thing, and it rather looks as though the actual thermostat simply clips into the housing.

I can't see that the heating element does anything except during the warm-up phase, and I doubt it is crucial even then. If I'd been able to do the replacement myself, the first thing I'd have tried would have been to try to unclip and remove the actual thermostat from the housing, leaving the heating element in place. If that was possible, I'd have bought a bare non-heated thermostat to see if that would fit; I suspect it would have the same tunnel down the centre as the heated one, and would fit. If not, I'd have simply cut away the heating element until the non-heated thermostat fitted, fitted it, and gone with that as a repair.

If that threw up an EML, a suitable resistor in the wiring connector would presumably do the trick and fool the ECU into thinking the immersion heater was still there.

Apropos the actual thermostat, apart from the little immersion heater down the middle the assembly is identical to those without said immersion heater, though four times the price of a non-heated bare thermostat off eBay from a reputable manufacturer like Gates. When I had mine replaced, I took a close look at the innards of the thing, and it rather looks as though the actual thermostat simply clips into the housing.

I can't see that the heating element does anything except during the warm-up phase, and I doubt it is crucial even then. If I'd been able to do the replacement myself, the first thing I'd have tried would have been to try to unclip and remove the actual thermostat from the housing, leaving the heating element in place. If that was possible, I'd have bought a bare non-heated thermostat to see if that would fit; I suspect it would have the same tunnel down the centre as the heated one, and would fit. If not, I'd have simply cut away the heating element until the non-heated thermostat fitted, fitted it, and gone with that as a repair.

If that threw up an EML, a suitable resistor in the wiring connector would presumably do the trick and fool the ECU into thinking the immersion heater was still there.
Autodoc sell the stats separately. A quick push and twist and they pop out of the housing. Yet more extortion for mb owners ,buying the housing when its not needed.

suty try buying the pins and plate hardware kit for the rear brakes of a 2006 C55 from a main MB dealer . Despite the car standing outside in the car park and various photos of C55's being shown to the parts department of other C55's having exactly the same rear brake callipers (different to all other non AMG S203 C class) they insisted that the brakes had been modified because they did not match what was on their laptops screens .

A few days later I got the full set from a UK part supplier (Rochdale I think ?) for about £12 , it actually said 'Merc vented rear kit' on the invoice.

Fast forward a year or so while working in the USA I popped into local NAPA store , they sell parts for all sorts (mainly American cars, natch) I asked the bloke about rear brakes for 2006 C55 , no VIN or reg required and within moments he had on his screen the correct callipers with rebuild seal kit , spring plates , pins and a choice of pads . go figure as they say over there 🤷‍♂️.

I did reach out to that MB dealer with a personal visit later on but they were just not interested.

Note the rear on a C55 is the same as the C43 that went before it if anyone is interested.
Brakes international great place in my local Town, what they dont know about Brakes is not worth knowing tbh

Autodoc sell the stats separately. A quick push and twist and they pop out of the housing. Yet more extortion for mb owners ,buying the housing when its not needed.
Yes you can remove it, I now have 2 Stats which I imported from Germany made by the OE supplier to Benz wahler its identical but the Mercedes logo and part number have been filed off, so I will have one for sale soon if anyone wants one, the issue is the heater in the centre pin causes antifreeze crystals to form around it and eventually the stat seizes on the pin and sticks open I was able to fix mine but I swapped it anyway as a precaution and folks were right that long bolt is frankly stupid! now sits at 90 all Day long took about an hour and a half to do.

How did you get the long bolt out? Id there a way to do it without removing the section of turbo intake manifold that obstructs it?

How did you get the long bolt out? Id there a way to do it without removing the section of turbo intake manifold that obstructs it?
You have to remove a fair bit to get to it, the intercooler pipe needs to come off and the fuel pipe needs to be removed from its mount, tbh I followed a great video online, there are a few but this was by far the easiest, if you can speak German even better but the vids easy enough to follow anyway, btw the oil residue in the Turbo is normal big pools is not but that amount is
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I saw that when I was trying to do mine, and once it was plain that there was no way to get the long bolt out without further dismantling, I decided to leave it to Terry Gates's boys; the car was going in for a check over anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom