• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Thinking of buying R129 SL280

stigsblade

Hi all, long time since I posted, since had to part with my W124 E300D's (Now have company CRV) however I just cannot get the MB thing out of my head and am now planning to buy an R129 SL280 v6 "For my wife". I looked at the bigger engined and newer models of the SL but to be honest they are just too pricey for my budget which is £5-7,000 and the car has to be used daily. I would also like to be able to do most work myself. Does anyone have any good tips to pass on when looking for one of these? feel free to talk me out of this and suggest other variants.

R129s are fantastic cars, and extremely well built. I've put a thread here where I share some thoughts on my SL300-24 with a few pics.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/memb...edes-sl300-24-slr-pic-thread.html#post2064017

You might find a 280 or 12v 300 a bit lacking in power, the R129 is not a light car and both output under 200bhp.

A 320 or 300-24 will give you a bit more overtaking performance when you need it and real world fuel economy will be similar. Not to mention likely to hold their values better not being the base model...

You might find a 280 or 12v 300 a bit lacking in power, the R129 is not a light car and both output under 200bhp.

Yup - 0-62 for the SL280 is approx. 10 secs ... make sure you drive one and are happy with the performance. Fuel economy won't be significantly better than a bigger-engined version either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom