Thoughts on the E320 CDI?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I gave up looking at cars for sale in small dealers years ago - too much bullsh!t. I'd rather buy from a main dealer with some sort of reputation to keep or buy privately and meet the previous owner.
Warning signs are 1. admin fee 2. deposit to view 3. only 3 month warranty.
Re the car today - my bet is that a rear brake pipe has corroded and burst and no fluid in part of the system.
See if Mercland in Nuneaton has anything of interest - Jay has been on here for years and I have only seen (many) good reports about the way he preps the cars and looks after the customer - somewhat unusually even after they have bought the car.

I gave up looking at cars for sale in small dealers years ago - too much bullsh!t. I'd rather buy from a main dealer with some sort of reputation to keep or buy privately and meet the previous owner.
Re the car today - my bet is that a rear brake pipe has corroded and burst and no fluid in part of the system.
See if Mercland in Nuneaton has anything of interest - Jay has been on here for years and I have only seen (many) good reports about the way he preps the cars and looks after the customer - somewhat unusually even after they have bought the car.
Very true mate…the last five years Iv bought my BMWs and Mercedes from Main Dealers….always have the 12 months warranty and the reputation of the dealer. But I’m purely after a cheapisj workhorse and a C63 for weekend. I sold my M235i to part fund both and took out a small loan I allow me to get another C63.

Mercland do seem great but my budget to be honest for my commuting workhorse is around £6k….still plenty of money but I may even lower my sights and look at something from
ford.

At this price point I would buy privately, ideally from a seller who has had the car for a while and is well enough off that he can afford to repair the car rather than offload it. Have a look on carandclassic - some 211s appear on there. The earlier inline 6 3.2 litre engine is a gem - probably more reliable and easier to work on than the v6.

I assume that you have seen this ad?
Cherished and loved , yet they slap grease on the brake pipes .

If a brake pipe was leaking it would lose all the fluid. I bought a 211 with much the same problem; replacing one of the rear calipers sorted it.

I would have thought a burst brake line unlikely

A leak and or poorly bled brakes more likely.

It says a lot about a garage that will let a car go out for a test drive in such poor condition. Especially when they use such a patently stupid excuse to try to explain the fault.

The garage in question. Still waiting for my £250 deposit to be refunded. Ignoring my emails. Will give them til 3pm today otherwise they will be getting a phone call.
I lost £200 on a Passat ,after I turned it down due to not being ready on time , I rang trading standards who told me nothing in writing from the garage regarding a returnable deposit and then it's my fault the deal fell through. The garage done their bit apparently. I'd never ever leave another deposit unless I was 100% sure.

Cherished and loved , yet they slap grease on the brake pipes
The root cause of the problem is the cheap crappy brake lines that MB use. I use waxoyl on them to stop them going rusty before they do. So it may have been a caring owner - or of course it may be someone covering up a rusty pipe.

Finally just got the refund back guys…
Good. I would not pay a deposit before seeing a car, it is a sales tactic to make you feel committed to buy rather than to view. Next time you are asked tell them that you've been stung before so you're not doing it - up to them do they want you to come and view the car or not? If not then you have flushed out the next crap dealer to be avoided.

And greasing them will be part of a proper Independent garages full service regime.

I can understand people who do care and spend alot of time and money on preventative maintenance, but seeing a cars history of MOT's and seeing brakes pipes corroded on one mot then subsequent MOT's saying brake pipes covered in grease is a clear statement of hiding rot or being to greedy to have them replaced and PaSS it off to the next owner . If applying grease to already rotten brake pipes stops further corrosion then everyone's a winner. Myself personally I'd look elsewhere for different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom