Thoughts & Opinions on my S211 E500 Estate Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockits

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 E55K Estate; 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE;2004 E500 Estate;2005 Alfa GT V6;306GTi-6;206 GTi 180
Having just finally found an E55K Estate recently I am going to be putting my S211 E500 Estate up for sale. I bought this E500 a little while back as needed something for work use but really wanted an E55K and couldn't find one. So bought this one I saw as a stop gap until I could find an E55K that worked for me. I thought it might be a potential long wait so at least I would have this E500 as a decent ride in the meantime.

Before I do I'm not sure if I should sell it as it is cheaper car with a few bits to do or get the bits done and sell at a higher price.

Has anyone had the same and has any thoughts or opinions on the best way to go? I normally sell cars in a very good place with no issues. Just not sure it always makes sense sometimes to spend money on a car to sell at a higher price unless the difference is more than the cost to do the work. You might as well sell cheaper and give someone the option if they want a cheap car or if they want to do some or all of the bits it might need to get it tip top. Or they might want to do over time.

It is in pretty good condition and a great spec but does need a few bits doing if I would have kept it.

I’d sell it as it stands for a lower price. People will always mentally judge and price a car on its age/mileage, not whether you’ve just spent £1/2k fixing stuff or whatever.

Can always negotiate to get some of the work done before sale with a prospective purchaser if that’s what they would prefer after viewing etc? :thumb:

I’d sell it as it stands for a lower price. People will always mentally judge and price a car on its age/mileage, not whether you’ve just spent £1/2k fixing stuff or whatever.

Can always negotiate to get some of the work done before sale with a prospective purchaser if that’s what they would prefer after viewing etc? :thumb:
Thanks. That was kind of my thinking too. Seems the most prudent way to market it. Gives the buyer more options rather than being locked in at a higher price.

It drives pretty well and doesn't need anything immediately doing or anything that is catastrophic or disastrous wrong with it. The interior is pretty mint and being a 7 seater Estate with the 5.0 V8 is pretty rare really.

I would advertise it as is, everyone has there own take on condition and how best to carry out 'repairs'. If you don't get the interest you hope for, you can easily complete the jobs and try again.

At this age/price point, many of these sorts of cars are run by keen enthusiasts who like a bit of DIY/bangernomics - so they may not want to do all of the jobs and/or do the work themselves with lower cost parts etc.

I would advertise it as is, everyone has there own take on condition and how best to carry out 'repairs'. If you don't get the interest you hope for, you can easily complete the jobs and try again.
Amen.

As with selling property, your priorities are different to your potential buyer and you run the risk of spending money on things your buyer won’t appreciate.

Just clean it up and get it gone this Summer because it’s going to be a long dark winter, even with Sadiq evicting the diesel estates & SUV’s of Greater London.

Did you sell it, or still available?
No, put up for sale just yet so not sold. Just going to get the E55K booked in for service and get some bits done then will look at getting the E500 dealt with afterwards. So I still have currently. Still not sure if I will sell as is or will spend some money and sell for a bit more but seems to make sense not to spend anything at the moment and sell cheaper.

Did you post it on this forum? Given the way we know you treat cars, may be an easier sale?

Did you post it on this forum? Given the way we know you treat cars, may be an easier sale?
Not yet. I will do once I've had the E55K serviced and checked over soon. I can use the E500 for a bit while the E55K is being serviced, checked over and fettled. Just has a couple of little jobs I'd like done to get it up to scratch and I want it checked over, kind of PPI'd if you like, to make sure it is a good example before I decide it is a keeper then start investing some cash into it.

The E500 is not up to my usual high standards just yet so an odd one for me. It was a pretty cheap car and needs a couple of bits doing. Just thought it would tide me over until I found a decent E55K as was expecting to be waiting a long time to find one. Then found one quite quickly in the end!

Not yet. I will do once I've had the E55K serviced and checked over soon. I can use the E500 for a bit while the E55K is being serviced, checked over and fettled. Just has a couple of little jobs I'd like done to get it up to scratch and I want it checked over, kind of PPI'd if you like, to make sure it is a good example before I decide it is a keeper then start investing some cash into it.

The E500 is not up to my usual high standards just yet so an odd one for me. It was a pretty cheap car and needs a couple of bits doing. Just thought it would tide me over until I found a decent E55K as was expecting to be waiting a long time to find one. Then found one quite quickly in the end!
Nice one. I still have the S211 itch, but kinda think a 500 would be too much for my needs. But.......

The S211 V8 is one of my all time favourite cars. Especially in the Supercharged E55K IMHO. Which is why I'm back in one again. Had to do some customer work up in Leeds yesterday and it is just such a great car to soak up plenty of miles. About 400 miles there and back with no a peep or moan from the car or me :)

The M113 engine and the 5 speed auto is well used across the MB range around this era. They just are really well mated and so relaxing to drive. The mid 2000's for me is the sweet spot of modern enough but old enough also a proper well built car to last. It sounds corny but they just don't build cars like this any more.

The S211 V8 is one of my all time favourite cars. Especially in the Supercharged E55K IMHO. Which is why I'm back in one again. Had to do some customer work up in Leeds yesterday and it is just such a great car to soak up plenty of miles. About 400 miles there and back with no a peep or moan from the car or me :)

The M113 engine and the 5 speed auto is well used across the MB range around this era. They just are really well mated and so relaxing to drive. The mid 2000's for me is the sweet spot of modern enough but old enough also a proper well built car to last. It sounds corny but they just don't build cars like this any more.

When I took mine into MB for a subframe check, the tech said pretty much the same thing. As in your last sentence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom