• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Thud Noise from rear of the vehicle upon gear change - 1996 Mercedes A124 E220

pavvirdee

Car
Mercedes A124 220
Good Afternoon,

From time to time I hear a “thud” noise from the rear of the vehicle when it changes gear. It’s getting a bit annoying and do not want the problem to become bigger than what it is.

Can you please advise what it may be.

The vehicle is a 1996 A124 Cabriolet/Convertible.

Thanks

Good Afternoon,

From time to time I hear a “thud” noise from the rear of the vehicle when it changes gear. It’s getting a bit annoying and do not want the problem to become bigger than what it is.

Can you please advise what it may be.

The vehicle is a 1996 A124 Cabriolet/Convertible.

Thanks
Have you taken it to a garage for inspection?

It could be many things, a transmission fault, and worn engine mounts or gearbox mounts, propshaft mounts, the rubber flex plates in the propshaft, worn differential mounts etc etc

Last edited:
Rear subframe mountings [front ones]? most likely if it happens on overrun/throttle off due to weight shift?

yeah why even bother trying to find out what's wrong just pay someone else to sort it out, genius!
Of course, how remiss of me because the OP is having such success so far!

As has been clearly explained by myself and others it could be many diffeent parts of the vehicle that could be causing the symptoms. Virtually all need to have vehicle on an inspection ramp to properly diagnose and /or fix

The OP could get such an inspection carried out and then make an informed choice as how to effect repairs!

hm, not sure why you need a lift to check under a car, i find a jack perfectly adequate...

i assumed the op wanted help to diagnose the problem, if they wanted to take it straight to a garage and let some one else decide what it needed they would have just done that. my bad, obviously.

hm, not sure why you need a lift to check under a car, i find a jack perfectly adequate...

i assumed the op wanted help to diagnose the problem, if they wanted to take it straight to a garage and let some one else decide what it needed they would have just done that. my bad, obviously.
The OP has been given very good advice on which areas might be contributing to the problem.

They had already taken to one garage and had a transmission fluid changed which suggests that a professional investigation and /or repair is their preferred option

Agreed many repairs may be carried out with a vehicle on jack stands but it is far easier and quicker for most of the areas mentioned to be looked over etc when the car is on a 2 or 4 post lift.

Dropping a propshaft or subframe etc whilst crawling underneath a car is not my idea of fun and garages will have the tools and knowledge to carry out such work far more efficiently and safely.

and they are the ones who go straight to a garage rather than ask for advice ime

and they are the ones who go straight to a garage rather than ask for advice ime
The OP came here for advice

Whatever people choose to do it is their choice. Some people have no intention of carrying out work themselves.

and all he got was a list of possible faults and told to go to a garage. perhaps he should have just asked for a garage recommendation if that was what was wanted. this is the technical forum, not the garage recommendation forum though.

and all he got was a list of possible faults and told to go to a garage. perhaps he should have just asked for a garage recommendation if that was what was wanted. this is the technical forum, not the garage recommendation forum though.
This is a forum that offers advice to members of all abilities.

The OP asked what was the potential cause of the problem and they received a comprehensive list of possible causes .

At no point did they ask for advice specifically on a DIY fix.

What they received was pertinent advice regarding their problem.

From that they could make THEIR CHOICE on how to proceed.

You clearly havre some chip on your shoulder when advice here doesn't follow your narrow views. Not everyone wants to fix issues themselves.

As a new member perhaps you should take on board the fact that there will be a wide range of opinions and advice given from people with a range of experience and abilities and your view may not be prevalent.

You merely seem intent on arguing spurious points and from what I have seen you are offering very little of benefit with your poorly presented and narrow advice.

Thankfully the ignore button will prevent me having to read anymore of your "wisdom" you so whinge away!

PS:

Try not to start your sentences with lower case "and" 👍

It sometimes is. :p

What kind of noise is it?
When does it do it?
Can you hear it more when sat in the back?
Can you replicate it easily?
Can you replicate it when its off the ground?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom