Tom Tom help...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I need to reinstall tom tom onto my Pocket PC (tosh E740) and i've lost the CD :mad: looked everywhere ...

Would anyone be able to sort me out a copy please ? I think it was Tom Tom 2 but any will do really ...

cheers

H

What is that ? a description of nearby stars ? :confused:

I'm not the most computer minded person on here ...

Could anyone burn me a CD please ?

I have this problem regularly, H.

I've got half a dozen PPC users with Tomtom, and it crashes at least one machine at least once a month.

If you know this, I apologise in advance: when you reinstall, you have to go on the net to activate the software. Your PPC gives your a device code. You key your licence number into the website, and it gives you one, or two possible device codes. If this matches the device code your ppc gave you, then you're OK. If not (and I know from bitter experience), you have to send a really sh!tty letter to TomTom's Customer Services Director in The Nertherlands, expaling how disgusted you are with TomTom's attitude, that you must have bought the software second-hand, and so they won't reactivate it, and how the whole process can take FOUR months, and TomTom staff have started ignoring your emails!

You need to provide proof of purchase etc etc etc, and they will then tell you that it's a forgery etc etc etc and it's a real pain in the ****.

You might be better off contacting them, and asking for new disks (using your proof of purchase, of course).

However, if it's the same version as I run here (TomTom Nav 3), then I'll happily lend you the disks, but with no promises......

PM me if you're interested. I will need them back though, because they belong to my company, not me.

PJ

PS: I've tried burning copies, without success. If somebody more techie than me (that's anyone under the age of 35, it seems) can explain how it's done, then I'll do that for you instead.

There are ways around the TomTom 3 security, but I shall not discuss them here publicly, for that would be naughty!

I've had to do it for the exact same reasons, frankly it was easier to hack around it than try to explain to TomTom Customer Services that I'd lost the CD.

Parrot of Doom said:
Google:

Bittorrent
Azureus
Mininova

in that order.

I disagree! For a non technologically mined person, googling bittorrent would be useless (most ppl what stuff to work, not to know how or why :p)

This is my google list :p

-BitComet (or Azureus but az is a memory hog)(or uTorrent)
-isoHunt

Speaking of which, how goo dis mininova? do they require registration?
Michele

Hi Howard

I would not entertain re-installing Tomtom below version 5. This is the latest and a vast improvement over previous versions. It's very much faster in every respect.

If you can, you should try and upgrade. It won't be cheap. You'll need proof of purchase and it'll help enormously if you registered the original copy.

If you re-install another copy, one which you didn't purchase, you may encounter problems if you contact the company for support in the future.

I am surprised you didn't keep a backup copy on a PC. I'm not familiar with the Toshiba E740 but does it have Compact Flash or Secure Digital or other solidstate memory options upon which to store Tomtom? That's how I run Tomtom on my IPAQ.

REGARDS Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom