Torn Diesel Hose

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darragh1

2010 E250 Estate OM651
Hi again,
This car would break my heart if my expectations hadn't been lowered so much during my ownership. So I accept that bits and pieces fail and break off after a certain age.
So I was cranking and cranking the engine this morning and no ignition and then smelled diesel. The hose as per photo had torn and diesel everywhere......
Ideally I will trim off the frayed edges and reattach the hose (having lost 2cms where it broke). I have a new mb clic clip for it.
If that does not work and because I don't fancy stripping out parts to access where the other end of the hose attaches, I might need to cut off a section and join another section of new 8mm hose. If so, what size joiner is best for a snug diesel proof fit with the help of a couple of jubilee clips at the joint?
Also will the cranking I did mean I need to purge the system to draw fuel up from one end?
Thanks in advance,
D.
PS In a previous thread I had weeping form the same place so maybe I should have expected the hose might tear,

Attachments

• thumbnail_20230412_183007.jpg
    thumbnail_20230412_183007.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 17
2010 E250 Estate OM651
Hi again,
This car would break my heart if my expectations hadn't been lowered so much during my ownership. So I accept that bits and pieces fail and break off after a certain age.
So I was cranking and cranking the engine this morning and no ignition and then smelled diesel. The hose as per photo had torn and diesel everywhere......
Ideally I will trim off the frayed edges and reattach the hose (having lost 2cms where it broke). I have a new mb clic clip for it.
If that does not work and because I don't fancy stripping out parts to access where the other end of the hose attaches, I might need to cut off a section and join another section of new 8mm hose. If so, what size joiner is best for a snug diesel proof fit with the help of a couple of jubilee clips at the joint?
Also will the cranking I did mean I need to purge the system to draw fuel up from one end?
Thanks in advance,
D.
PS In a previous thread I had weeping form the same place so maybe I should have expected the hose might tear,
I cut off the rough edges (2.5 cms shorter now) and pressed the hose on with a new clip. It is a little stressed but not kinked. It's hopefully enough to get me to my indie. I learned it primes itself so i did the key in position two for 20 seconds twice and it started first time. No damage done and running fine for the moment....
This is my first diesel and the prospect of cutting diesel hoses makes me a little nauseous with the fear of the black filth everywhere. I used an engine degreaser for the area where the fuel sprayed with tin foil around any wiring sockets and hosed it away.
I hope you enjoyed this story. The film deal is in the pipeline.

I'd order a new hose so when your old one fails again you'll be ready for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom