• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

toughened or laminated

gaml

Car
r107
I've got a 1973 C107 (SLC). In those days the glass wasn't always clearly marked weather it was toughened or laminated.
So I was wondering if anybody knows if the rear window is laminated or toughened.
I'm about to get some body work done and the rear window needs to be removed and refitted. Would be good to know what it is.

Thanks for any help

G

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't laminated. My dad's 1971 Saab 99 had a laminated screen as standard, so I'd think a younger more expensive MB would have too.

Love an SLC, by the way.

The OP was asking for information about the rear screen.Laminated front screens became widely used in the 1980s. Toughened glass is still commonly used for side and rear windows. Only this evening I walked passed a Peugeot hatch back that is currently sporting a gaffer tape and bin bag rear window replacement. Smashed rear windows can be the product of slamming the hatch shut with stuff from the DIY warehouse sticking out of the opening. In the days when aftermarket radios and stuck on satnav had a value down the local pub it was a common sight to see side windows smashed into thousands of cubes or the tell tale signs in some car parks. A number of cars now come with laminated side glass, my S205 had laminated “acoustic” glass fitted to reduce noise to the cabin. On the side windows it’s easy to spot laminated glass by lowering the window and looking at the top edge. Laminated windows are a sandwich of two sheets of glass with a plastic film between them, if you look at the top of the glass you can see the layers. Identifying the construction of the rear glass is more difficult without key words, toughened or laminated printed on the glass. Sometimes you can identify toughened glass using polarised sunglasses, toughened glass often shows patterns of different colours due to the manufacturing process.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along and can give a more helpful answer. Breaking toughened glass when trying to remove it certainly makes a mess and considerably adds to the cost of any work.

laminated (don't ask me how I know)

You could try ringing the SL Shop, they *might* be prepared to tell you over the phone, even if they aren't doing the work.

I thought toughened glass windscreens was made illegal decades ago.
Toughened screens looked at certain angles has mottled effect

The picture shows the markings for laminated glass. The XI above the E1 in a circle is the marking for laminated glass on areas except the front windscreen.
Laminated windscreens are marked with // above the E approval mark.
My car has E11 for the front windscreen =UK
E1 for front side windows = Germany
E6 for all other glass = Belgium
As the car has factory fitted dark tint the rear windows have a V above the E6 symbol.

Amazing how much detail you can find when you start looking. I really must get out more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom