Tow bar fitted to a C220 estate amg line.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Update.
Had to rebook due to unavoidable issues. Now booked for 20th November.
The towbar comes with MB specific electrics and relay for charging line to protect the car battery. Also includes recoding.
Bar is a Tow Trust AMG line specific as linked to above.
£585 fitted.
I had the chance to examine the bar and electric kit and it looks like a quality piece of kit.
Will update after fitting on 20th.

Screenshot_20201105-082707_Gallery.jpg

C250d PP.

1800ish tow weight

Reactions: JHS
I asked mercedes about a towbar fitted to a new w205 coupe they said it was a no go, would have bought the car if it was possible and yet theres 1 fitted!

As has been said on here before, if it has got the plate with permitted max vehicle weight and max train weight then there is no reason not to fit a towbar regardless of what MBUK say.

Update
Towbar fitted today, no bumper cut, no diffuser cut.
Removable hook, foldaway electrics.
Coded. Split relay.
£585.
I would post a picture but there is nothing to see!
Car is a C250 S205 AMG Line Premium Plus with Pan Roof.
A Pan roof will not mean that a towbar cannot be fitted.............I dont care what the "experts" say.
A big recommendation for
Lincoln Towbar & Mobility Centre
253 Lincoln Road Branston LN4 1NS

01522 524444

www.lincolntowbarcentre.co.uk Facebook Twitter
Great service.

Possibly the problem is that AMG cars (which have lowered suspension) and which there are no towbars options, and the separate AMG-line cars (which have extra AMG type styling) which can tow. Agree with previous comments that the VIN plate is the definitive source of information regards to towing - or failing that the local dealer.
If you state you have an AMG car to the towbar fitters they will probably reject your business.
Suggest you check the on-line catalogue from the good towbar manufacturers such as Brink, Westfalia, or Witter

Possibly the problem is that AMG cars (which have lowered suspension) and which there are no towbars options, and the separate AMG-line cars (which have extra AMG type styling) which can tow. Agree with previous comments that the VIN plate is the definitive source of information regards to towing - or failing that the local dealer.
If you state you have an AMG car to the towbar fitters they will probably reject your business.
Suggest you check the on-line catalogue from the good towbar manufacturers such as Brink, Westfalia, or Witter
You’re right, the towbar fitters say “no” without checking when you say that it’s for an AMG, and even the towbar manufacturers do too.

I had to buy the towbar kit from Mercedes and send a photo or the VIN to the fitter (who Mercedes sub-contract to) before the fitter agreed to fit a towbar.

It should be marginally easier now. Westfalia updated their catalogues after I supplied the correct information, but last time I checked it had changed back!

Tow Trust do several that fit AMG Line,including this
Towbars | Tow Trust
Which is what I have had fitted.
You are correct in that it is AMG cars as opposed to AMG Line cars that are restricted but it has nothing to do with the Pano roof. This old wives tale needs putting to bed.

Late to the party I know and a newbie here....had a removable Brink tow bar fitted today on my 2015 C220 AMG Line premium plus estate with Pano roof and kick boot opening. Very happy with the service from PF Jones Manchester. The fitter said the Pano roof tale is a load of balls, he said its the Alko Hitch on the caravans if not serviced properly are bouncing to much and the car is taking the impact, if that makes sense.
He also said the full fat AMGs can tow but Mercedes spec different tyres and wheels to pull if you ask them.

This isn't a new thing, or specific to "AMG" spec cars. My '95 W124 saloon isn't type approved for towing as it has the Sportline suspension, however, if it also had SLS specified it would then be plated to tow.

This isn't a new thing, or specific to "AMG" spec cars. My '95 W124 saloon isn't type approved for towing as it has the Sportline suspension, however, if it also had SLS specified it would then be plated to tow.

Type approval in the UK only came in on 1st August 1998, and AFAIK fitting a towbar to a car registered before then that the manufacturer didn't state was suitable for towing isn't automatically an offence. It's possible that type approval already applied in Germany in 1995 though (as it was an EU directive).

Late to the party I know and a newbie here....had a removable Brink tow bar fitted today on my 2015 C220 AMG Line premium plus estate with Pano roof and kick boot opening. Very happy with the service from PF Jones Manchester. The fitter said the Pano roof tale is a load of balls, he said its the Alko Hitch on the caravans if not serviced properly are bouncing to much and the car is taking the impact, if that makes sense.
He also said the full fat AMGs can tow but Mercedes spec different tyres and wheels to pull if you ask them.
Not sure I'd believe much of what he said. I'm surprised a professional fitter would say that, if anyone understands type approval then it should be a professional fitter. Full fat AMGs can tow - with or without different wheels and tyres - but with the exception if the SUV models it will be illegal to do so in Europe as it's not type approved.

Type approval in the UK only came in on 1st August 1998, and AFAIK fitting a towbar to a car registered before then that the manufacturer didn't state was suitable for towing isn't automatically an offence. It's possible that type approval already applied in Germany in 1995 though (as it was an EU directive).
Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't aware of those dates. I suspect if I did fit a towbar and was pulled by the police they would take a dim view of the plate not showing any train weight; personally I take the absence of a number as a big fat zero and suspect they would too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom