Travelling to Oman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrol Pete

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon
Any one on here been to work in Oman recently ? (note recently)

Just got a request to go over there for a few weeks (for a German company) to sort out a broken machine. My work takes me all over the globe and I have worked in Kuwait, Saudi Arabia , Morocco and Tunisia so I have experience of the 'peculiarities' that different Arabic states throw up.

But Oman is a new one to me.

I have not travelled to the 'Arab world' for a number of years now but from what I can see online is that Oman seems OK , It will all be nice hotels, being driven to and from work etc. 'The rough guide to..' or 'Oman on $10 a day' is not where I am at . there will be almost zero touristy stuff, it will be long days at work and back to the hotel.

Any advice taken . Thanks.

Not recently, but as a visitor in the last 5 years.
Been there a couple of times and found the people very friendly, extremely hospitable once you know them (I have relatives that live there). I can only relate to Muscat and nowhere else in the region.

Not recently, but as a visitor in the last 5 years.
Been there a couple of times and found the people very friendly, extremely hospitable once you know them (I have relatives that live there). I can only relate to Muscat and nowhere else in the region.
Thanks . Forgot to mention that I will be in Muscat and not out 'in the sticks' :thumb:

Hi Pete
Oman is a great country - we often drive there from Abu Dhabi for business and for holidays!
Muscat is a lovely old fashioned coastal city and the Omani people (if you get to interact with them) are humble, polite and are fans of British people.
The UK military train there and have supported Oman over the years - so we have a good reputation there (for once!)
Any questions - feel free to ask.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Pete
Oman is a great country - we often drive there from Abu Dhabi for business and for holidays!
Muscat is a lovely old fashioned coastal city and the Omani people (if you get to interact with them) are humble, polite and are fans of British people.
The UK military train there and have supported Oman over the years - so we have a good reputation there (for once!)
Any questions - feel free to ask.
Cheers
Steve
A bit of a factoid - the Sultan of the time (late 1980's) gifted his VC-10 to our ATC Squadron based at Brooklands (11F Sqn) as Oman has very close ties, especially with the RAF. I think it was 11 Sqn RAF that were doing some of the training on Tornadoes which might be why we were gifted the VC-10 (Being 11F Sqn). It's now part of the museum. We had to help extend the runway so it could fly in.

I worked out there a number of years ago, in Muscat, Fahud and further South in the middle of nowhere. My favourite place in the Middle East. As Steve above mentions i found the Omanis really nice. The dates are sublime as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom