• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Two shades of yellow

nickid

Car
LIMITED EDITION 2002 MERCEDES C 230 KOMPRESSOR DESIGNO SPORT
Hi all, Well when I bought the car I was told the cars bonnet was a bit faded and when I looked at it a didn't think there was much of a difference until I got home and thought I would just get the bonnet resprayed. Well that was the plan until I was out at the other car and looked across at the coupe and saw no difference to the paint on the drives side to the bonnet? strange? so I went round the other side of the car and right away saw the difference in colour of the passanger side of the car to the bonnet and drivers side.
what is going on?
9EA53C21-68CA-437F-B090-8C7510F358E3-2939-000001771424910E.jpg

9D3A6FB7-B94B-4489-9EA8-3FE94B1C4276-2939-00000177240CC38B.jpg

B1C6D683-FE35-46DF-B6ED-1F6A8476049B-2939-000001772F784BE2.jpg

27EC9554-22EF-42E4-8FB0-99808B48B3CA-2939-0000017735EAEBAC.jpg

More then likely that the wing has been painted then? What's the colour like against the door? Yellow and red has to be the worst solid colours to work with.

It has had paint. Probably on the N/S wing. The painter has blended the paint into the bumper etc. Matching to the bonnet has obviously proved more of a challenge ;^(

You need a good paint shop to have a look and sort out which is the correct colour on which panels and how best they can blend it? You may need a front end re-spray.

The complete N/s has been painted in what looks like New York Taxi Yellow.

I'm surprised you didn't spot that.

I can't see the pictures as my reactolite glasses have just gone dark.

Look on the bright side , you're never likely to have an accident , no one will ever be able to say ' sorry , I didn't see you ! '

Look on the bright side , you're never likely to have an accident , no one will ever be able to say ' sorry , I didn't see you ! '

Looks like someone T boned the n/s already.

i had a dakar yellow bmw and it was a very hard colour to keep on top of.a good machine polish will bring the dull panels back to life.

the only way a colour shows up wrong is if the body shop sprayed the panel different from the actual way it sits on car, for example spraying a wing as it sits flat rather than hanging like it would on the car and same for bonnet, hanging the bonnet as apposed to having it flat as it normally sits.

the only way a colour shows up wrong is if the body shop sprayed the panel different from the actual way it sits on car, for example spraying a wing as it sits flat rather than hanging like it would on the car and same for bonnet, hanging the bonnet as apposed to having it flat as it normally sits.

That won't matter for flat colours, only metallics.

As Dieselman says that wont matter on a solid colour, and if you have the correct colour and shade in a metallic it won't matter. I've painted many a bonnet upright and never had any colour issues.

Not easy to read from those photos, but as said quite surprising that it wasn't easy to spot earlier on as flat colours are generally easier to read for mis-matches. I'd try a machine polish as they can work wonders.

I sprayed a Triumph Spitfire yellow in an equally bright shade many years back in cellulose. It really suited its 70s vintage at the time.:cool:

Six months after the respay some careless person bashed the centre of the drivers door and removed quite a bit of paint. So I decided to spray the panel again, unblended, using the paint that I still had left from the original respray. Unfortunately tha paint did not match as the original paint had faded.:mad:

I decided that it would be best to leave it alone and see what happened. Well six months later the repaired door matched perfectly as it had faded the same amount as the original paint. What would have happened if I had decided to match the paint at the time of repair? Would six months later it be a mismatch?

I presume that older cellulose paint technology with yellow was very prone to this fading problem. Blending the paint into adjacent panels would mask the problem initially, and after the new paint had faded the blending process would still be effective albeit in a different colour gradient direction and still look good if both paints had similar fade properties. The fact that you can see many cars with multiple shades suggests that this does not always happen probably because different makes of paint have been used with different pigmentation chemicals.

Of course if I had blended the Spitfire paint in the first place it would appear to have been a perfect match the whole time.

found some nice yellow spray marks on the fog light grills so bumper defo been repainted and the rust is starting to get bad on the arches and wings so I might just bite the bullet and get the whole car resprayed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom