Tyre advice sought for S212 E500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SW18

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model Y (Formerly S212 E500)
Views are welcome please!

I purchased my E500 with new-ish tyres (Pirelli front and Conti rear) and have had 22k miles out of them so far, with still 4-5mm of tread remaining. However the front offside has a small bulge in it and I’m thinking of replacements. Should I take the (expensive) plunge and do all 4 at the same time? Or just swap out the fronts and do the tests when they’re a bit more worn?

I’ve never much liked the current tyres as they’re noisy and don’t perform that well. I think I’d like Goodyear Eagle as they have a quieter noise rating and are much praised on the forum. However their website suggests that for my sizes it would be Asymmetric 3 at the front (245/40) and Asymmetric 5 at the rear (265/35)! Is this ok? And anyway Asymmetric 5 have a higher noise rating so I’m not sure I’ll get the hushed ride I’m looking for... Should I then go for Michelin Sport 4 which are the Merc approved tyre?

After 22k miles, you've got two thirds of the wear you're ever going to get out of them.

Would definitely change all four if you're intending to keep the car for more than the next 10,000 miles.

Just ask the likes of Micheldever or Merit what kind of discount they'd give beyond their standard quotes.

M

Thanks, all, new tyres it is then! I had not thought of eBay for the old ones, it seems there is a lively second hand tyre market on there and I could expect perhaps £30-40 per tyre which would soften the blow a bit.

Change all four and flog the others on eBay :thumb:

After 22k miles, you've got two thirds of the wear you're ever going to get out of them.

Would definitely change all four if you're intending to keep the car for more than the next 10,000 miles.

Just ask the likes of Micheldever or Merit what kind of discount they'd give beyond their standard quotes.

M

Call it at £120 discount for the faff..........

Asymmetric 3's are available in the size you require for the rear. 265x35x18 unless you have 19" and I'm wrong:)

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 265/35 R18 97Y XL - 123tyres.co.uk

Wow, many thanks! Yes, I have the standard 18”. I’d assumed they weren’t available as I couldn’t get them to show on the Goodyear website. I hadn’t shopped around other sellers’ sites. Goodyear’s site wasn’t that great to use (Michelin’s was even worse) so it seems quite possible they had it wrong.

Wow, many thanks! Yes, I have the standard 18”. I’d assumed they weren’t available as I couldn’t get them to show on the Goodyear website. I hadn’t shopped around other sellers’ sites. Goodyear’s site wasn’t that great to use (Michelin’s was even worse) so it seems quite possible they had it wrong.

I might have missed your request for this size but I just put a couple of Asymmetric 3 on the front of my E55 which has the same tyre sizes as your W212.
I too was looking for that size 265/35/18 when I replace my rears. There may well be other cheaper suppliers so do try Camskill, Black Circles, Openeo, Pneus etc just in case.

Just a quick note of thanks for the above advice: I now have the Asymmetric 3s on and they are fab - silence is golden. And the steering feels much more sure and less likely to tramline too (those Pirellis were awful in comparison).

The new tyres just been throughly tested by 1500 miles of summer holiday driving and I love the difference they’ve made!

I now have the Asymmetric 3s on and they are fab - silence is golden. And the steering feels much more sure and less likely to tramline too
fitted F1A3 on my SL in April. So much quieter than OEM P Zeros

I went from GYA3s to Michelin PS4s on my wife’s 212 350. The Michelin’s although have a sharper feel to them, they are much noisier and blooming well more expensive!!! Should have just bought the GY again....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom