Tyre balness inner and outer edge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ravs88

Car
C204 C220cdi
Hi all
Passenger side tyre inner and outer edges bald, center looks OK. Image shows outer ware only, but it's the same as inner.

Driver's side is fine, so it could be down to under inflation/alignment, but should this be replaced?

Thanks in advance
Ravs

Attachments

• 20211005_173525_resized.jpg
    20211005_173525_resized.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 30
Had the car checked underneath and all seems to be OK as it recently went in for a water pump/brakes discs replacement. My question is does the tyre need replacing, is it illegal?

Hi Ravs. I have exactly the same issue on my 212 wearing Michelin PS4 all round. The fronts are like yours (rears are perfect).

All my suspension is in perfect condition, 4 new shocks and new bushes recently. It’s caused by under inflation. The petrol flap says 33 psi for fronts. I’m increasing to 36. My tyres are still legal with 4mm in the centre trends.

To answer the OP's question, yes, it should be replaced. To be legal, a tyre must have a minimum of 1.6 mm tread over 75% of its width, and visible tread over the rest. That tyre hasn't.

Hi Ravs. I have exactly the same issue on my 212 wearing Michelin PS4 all round. The fronts are like yours (rears are perfect).

All my suspension is in perfect condition, 4 new shocks and new bushes recently. It’s caused by under inflation. The petrol flap says 33 psi for fronts. I’m increasing to 36. My tyres are still legal with 4mm in the centre trends.
Thanks HB - my mechanic said they was under inflated so they were pumped up. I am split between changing them as the center of the tyre is fine, like yours.

To answer the OP's question, yes, it should be replaced. To be legal, a tyre must have a minimum of 1.6 mm tread over 75% of its width, and visible tread over the rest. That tyre hasn't.
"To be legal, a tyre must have a minimum of 1.6 mm tread over 75% of its width,"

This is very true!

Thanks

I don't want to sound derogatory to the OP, but any driver should be competent enough to know this tyre is not roadworthy, even if it was, there is enough wear to tell you something is not right with either suspension, tracking or inflation.
I too would suggest under inflation, but merely putting more air in is too late now...get it replaced asap, before you get stopped

Do any of you have to do some low speed maneuvering involving using full lock, such as when parking up?
As I've noticed some scrubbing marks on the outer shoulder of my fronts whilst doing this.

Not sure that's a mot fail as there's a central 3/4 rule .

tyrelaw.jpg

Maybe a pass if cental 3/4 above 1.6mm and edges just get advised ?

underinflation or very slow puncture perhaps. but yes i would get it replaced even if its technically legal.

I don't want to sound derogatory to the OP, but any driver should be competent enough to know this tyre is not roadworthy, even if it was, there is enough wear to tell you something is not right with either suspension, tracking or inflation.
I too would suggest under inflation, but merely putting more air in is too late now...get it replaced asap, before you get stopped
Yes, you're totally correct, sorry to have asked. But equally, it should help any other members too. Never had this issue before in 16 years of driving, so as well as asking the members in this forum, it taught me a lesson.

So sometime's you have to stand back and look, Would you take a your kids in a car with tyres like that, the part of the tyre that you are running on is 6 inches by 3 inches which is touching the ground, so think in the wet at 70 mph where someone has done an emergency stop in front of you !! you slam you foot on the brake the first think that goes though your mind are the kids ok, the second thing is them tyres :eek: tyres last a long time, looking at it you may get anther couple of months out of them is nonsense when you think what can happen.
Sometimes we need a little shake, is it legal, is it safe. Up to you, but please don't drive to close behind me.
Stay safe and have fun.

look under inflated by the way, pressures inside petrol flap :thumb:

Not sure that's a mot fail as there's a central 3/4 rule .

View attachment 119931

Maybe a pass if cental 3/4 above 1.6mm and edges just get advised ?
Does the picture posted look as if there's 1.6 mm tread over 75% of the tyre to you? It doesn't to me...

I'd rewrite that last bit to: Get it replaced ASAP, before you're unable to stop. There's not enough grooves left on that tyre to shift water fast enough.

You ought to change it. Apart from arguing semantics about whether it's 1.6mm, 75% etc etc, the tyre's ability to clear water is seriously reduced, increasingvthe risk of aquaplaning etc. and rain is not exactly unheard of in the UK over winter ;).

Hi all
Passenger side tyre inner and outer edges bald, center looks OK. Image shows outer ware only, but it's the same as inner.

Driver's side is fine, so it could be down to under inflation/alignment, but should this be replaced?

Thanks in advance
Ravs

Pic of whole tyre ?

What does the central 3/4 measure ?

To be legal, a tyre must have a minimum of 1.6 mm tread over 75% of its width, and visible tread over the rest.

I've not heard that last bit before? I've had the Vito MOT'd a couple of times with a narrow band of tread scrubbed off completely on the outer edge of the front tyres (a by-product of the factory suspension setup), and that just got an advisory.

Throw it in the river. But watch out for gretta. Going back we used to call them Nixon tyres, if you don't know what that is google David Nixon Magician.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom