• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

ULEZ Compliant for Jap Imports

shorif2000

Car
w220 s500L
Hello, I have a w220 2003. I have been made aware that the NOx level on the v5c need to be filled in for this vehicle to be compliant as I don't have anything there at the moment.

This is response from [email protected]

Unfortunately, your S500, [], was manufactured for the Japanese market in 2002 and therefore wasn’t tested to the Euro standards that apply to European cars.

The Japanese market have a very different set of standards that they require their cars to be built to.

I have asked them again

Can you please provide me with a CoC or a official document with NOx level for my vehicle which i can then use to update the V5C

I sent email to tfl [email protected]

I have vehicle [] which is a Japanese import of Mercedes benz s500 L 2003 model.

As i understand you only use year of uk and eu model vehicles for compliancy check which is incorrect as this excludes the whole Japanese market.

Japan confirms to stricter standards and i would like to know

1. How you plan to incorporate Japanese imported model vehicles into your calculation?
2. Why this has not been done already?
3. How i can make sure your records are up to date so my vehicle shows as compliant as in reality my vehicle is compliant and passes the required checks.

The problem myself and consumers are facing with Japanese imports are no Certificate of Conformity has been done correctly at the import stage of the vehicle which is why DVLA will not have up to date information. Also no manufacturers in UK or EU will test these vehicles. In essence you have just blacklisted a whole market of vehicles, how will you address this problem?

I have also sent email to [email protected] who I believe are in Japan

I have a Japanese import Mercedes s500 L. In the UK.

Can you provide me with official Certificate of Conformity that will show the NOx levels of this car?

Or any other official manufacturer document that will show NOx levels of the vehicle. I have attached picture of VIN

I require this to properly register the vehicle for compliancy.

I also filled in contact form for Japan Land Ministry and Tourism.

Does anyone know if this is possible to solve?

There is a company in London that tests older motorbike vehicles to prove they comply so why this cannot be done for cars as well?

Does anyone know if this is possible to solve?
I had a similar problem and went through MB Customer Services. I had to get a conformity letter from them and send to DVLA who reissued a V5C with "Euro 6" included.

Not sure about your situation though. Good luck.

problem here is, CoC is not available for Jap Imports unless done at the time of import as far as I understand from reading online.
This must have been an optional costs or was overlooked by importers to save on cost.

DVLA will accept CoC or official document from homologation

problem here is, CoC is not available for Jap Imports unless done at the time of import as far as I understand from reading online.
This must have been an optional costs or was overlooked by importers to save on cost.

DVLA will accept CoC or official document from homologation
You seem to suggesting that UK authorities should be using their time and resources to solve your problem?

It was your choice to buy a Japanese import and one without the correct paperwork and in terns of cars registered in the UK it must be a very small percentage of total per annum so I am not surprised that the DVSA (not DVLA) are not being proactive especially when you cannot provide the CoC for a vehicle designed to operate in another country.

It does pay to do some due diligence first.

I guess its relevant now. Not very often thing to look at pre ulez.

COC is available only for vehicles produced for the European market. So this isn't really an option in this case.

I don't know if emissions are being tested under IVA, but you can check with the DVSA if they can offer an IVA test that will also allow them to enter the emissions data into the V5C.

That been said, it is quite possible that your 2002 car won't be ULEZ compliant, given that it may have had a different emissions control setup to that of European cars. So even if there's a route available for having the car tested, spending money on it will still be a gamble.

COC is available only for vehicles produced for the European market. So this isn't really an option in this case.

I don't know if emissions are being tested under IVA, but you can check with the DVSA if they can offer an IVA test that will also allow them to enter the emissions data into the V5C.

That been said, it is quite possible that your 2002 car won't be ULEZ compliant, given that it may have had a different emissions control setup to that of European cars. So even if there's a route available for having the car tested, spending money on it will still be a gamble.
I will query them this IVA. Thanks

Would the car not have gone through IVA when it was imported?

Japan implementes much stricter standards long before UK so older cars should be complaint.

Last edited:
I will query them this IVA. Thanks

It would, BUT (a) there are various levels of IVA and maybe only the basic compulsory test was done, or (b) it is possible that recording emissions data in the V5C was optional at the time, or (c) the test may have changed since. But only the DVSA can answer these questions....

"Millbrook is able to provide compliance IVA test reports for the following IVA requirements:
Exhaust emissions, light duty Euro 5 and 6, NEDC and WLTP (EC 715/2007 and EU 2017/1151)"

No idea about cost, though. And, again, it may turn out to be a waste of money if the car isn't actually ULEZ compliant.

I had a 2002 UK C class which was compliant

The issue isn't with the manufacturering date. It's about emissions control systems fitted to the car at the factory, and also ECU mapping, which may or may not have been different for the Japanese market - I don't know.

"Millbrook is able to provide compliance IVA test reports for the following IVA requirements:
Exhaust emissions, light duty Euro 5 and 6, NEDC and WLTP (EC 715/2007 and EU 2017/1151)"

No idea about costs, though. And, again, it may turn out to be a waste of money if the car isn't actually ULEZ compliant.
Thanks i will try that. Its worth spending the money for me to keep the car running.

1st link looks like for EU cars only. I think i came across similar sites asking for money upfront to process CoC. I also find this odd because I thought CoC requires vehicle present, But i have mailed them.

Nothing special just a regular import car from Japan

That depends on when it was imported, the testing standards and processes have changed at particular milestones over the last couple of decades. As it stands, cars over 10 years old aren't subject to IVA, so it's quite possible it was never tested. I'm trying to remember the exact requirements for the SVA rules that preceeded it (SVA became IVA in late 2009).

Not subject to IVA, so no reason to be tested.

IME, your Japanese inquiries are unlikely to be fruitful, your enquiry with the Tourism board is almost certainly going to go nowhere. You might have more luck with the Air & Transportation dept of the Ministry of the Environment, but the best bet is going to be MB Japan. However I fear none of them are going to be overly interested in helping someone with a 20 year old car on the other side of the planet - harsh but true. When I was in and around Japanese imports in the late 00's/early 10's it was hard to make headway without local contacts.

The currently posted emissions limits only go back as far as 2005 but they wouldn't do you any good anyway. While you'd be in line with the NOx limits, particulates would fail as the Japanese limit is nearly double that for ULEZ.

I wish you the best of luck but realistically I suspect you're destined for disappointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom