Ultimate lane hogger and tailgater?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 65149

Just saw this photo posted elsewhere on the forum but without comment.

800px-A406_Southend_Road_-_Coppermine_-_14811.JPG

The immediate surprising factor is seeing the North Circular so quiet! But the worrying part is seeing the oncoming cars outside of many empty lanes. Then noticing the car climbing into the boot of the second car in that outer overtaking lane, no doubt totally p****d off by the one at the front. :wallbash:

Oh common, they are just getting ready to do a right turn at the Green Lanes junction.

Lol ;)

My experience of the North Circ is that the lane discipline is always bad. I often drive the section from Staples to Hangar in both directions and for at least half of it lane 1 is the lane to be in of you want to make progress and overtake which shouldn't be right but the other lanes are full of people driving a foot from the car in front trying to make them go faster.

My experience of the North Circ is that the lane discipline is always bad. I often drive the section from Staples to Hangar in both directions and for at least half of it lane 1 is the lane to be in of you want to make progress and overtake which shouldn't be right but the other lanes are full of people driving a foot from the car in front trying to make them go faster.

That's exactly how it was in the mid-sixties when I used that stretch on a daily basis to and from work! Nothing really changes does it.

Just saw this photo posted elsewhere on the forum but without comment.

Yes, in the next number thread.

Not really the thread for discussion on lane discipline...

Yes, in the next number thread.

Not really the thread for discussion on lane discipline...

That's why I copied it here. Sorry for not attributing the picture to you as introducing it to this forum, especially when you had done us all a favour by not posting the obvious but boring picture of a Peugeot 406. ;)

But looking to your source does show a few other interesting pics, like this one of the A406 south of Redbridge with its impenetrable inside lane:
800px-A406_North_Circular_Road_south_of_Redbridge%2C_looking_south_-_Coppermine_-_17974.JPG

Know that well. Lane one becomes the off slip to A118 Ilford about 1.5 miles further on. You need to get into lane early, don't you know.

Besides, and to play devil's advocate, there are many people who refer to lane three or the outside lane as 'The Fast Lane'. I want to go fast ergo must use fast lane. Not that I would ever want to torpedo anyone! (fast lane, play on words for submarine base. I'll get my coat.)

Last edited:
While you should clearly move over to the inner lane under most circumstances, it is more obvious when it comes to Motorways.

Firstly, on Motorways there is never a right turn, all junctions are in fact slip roads branching of from the left. But on A roads such as the NCR some drivers prepare for the right turn far too early which accounts for some of the lane hogging.

Then, the NCR is heavily used most times (the photo was taken on the eastern side before the M11 starts) and as result drivers mostly find themselves in a queue of cars all moving at the same speed where in fact lane speeds do not really apply (ie the middle lane might move faster than the outer lane). Some drive this way at all time because they are not used to keeping lane discipline on A roads in the same way as they do on Motorways.

Also... how many drivers actually move into a bus lane when it is not in force? The Highway Code says you must use the inner lane unless overtaking or in a queue, and yet you see largely empty bus lanes even when they are open to all traffic.

Also... how many drivers actually move into a bus lane when it is not in force? The Highway Code says you must use the inner lane unless overtaking or in a queue, and yet you see largely empty bus lanes even when they are open to all traffic.

Shh - keep quiet about that one. I love it at the times when bus lanes are clearly marked as being open yet the vast majority of drivers fail to notice. So whilst they sit in a long queue of traffic I can happily (and legally) glide past them in the out of hours bus lane. :D A case of their ignorance being my bliss. :thumb:

Besides, and to play devil's advocate, there are many people who refer to lane three or the outside lane as 'The Fast Lane'. I want to go fast ergo must use fast lane. Not that I would ever want to torpedo anyone! (fast lane, play on words for submarine base. I'll get my coat.)

All lanes other than the inside lane are correctly referred to as overtaking lanes - a fact that eludes far too many. But you still get those who want to use the outermost overtaking lane at what they think of as fast but still well within the NSL, particularly as you say when they will be wanting to turn right in the next couple of miles. (Is there a torpedo launching tube accessory for Mercedes?)

Shh - keep quiet about that one. I love it at the times when bus lanes are clearly marked as being open yet the vast majority of drivers fail to notice. So whilst they sit in a long queue of traffic I can happily (and legally) glide past them in the out of hours bus lane. :D A case of their ignorance being my bliss. :thumb:

Happily? Yes. Legally? Should you be overtaking on the inside?

Happily? Yes. Legally? Should you be overtaking on the inside?

If both lanes are open to the traffic, lane two is congested with lane one being free flowing, then yes - legally ;) (rule 268)

If both lanes are open to the traffic, lane two is congested with lane one being free flowing, then yes - legally ;) (rule 268)

So if the outer lane on the Motorway is congested by a single vehicle doing 70mph... :devil:

So if the outer lane on the Motorway is congested by a single vehicle doing 70mph... :devil:

Considering that vehicle has reached maximum legal speed...let us know how you got on ;)

I of course never exceed speed limit, and I am whiter than white, you should all be like me....lol:D

That's why I copied it here. Sorry for not attributing the picture to you as introducing it to this forum, especially when you had done us all a favour by not posting the obvious but boring picture of a Peugeot 406. ;)

I thought one Pug was more than enough... :D

I think the main reason for this is when a bus is on it and stopped at a bus stop (sometimes for a while if he is running early) getting past it is a nightmare. All the cars that you just past will be too busy enjoying their revenge to let you out.

I think the main reason for this is when a bus is on it and stopped at a bus stop (sometimes for a while if he is running early) getting past it is a nightmare. All the cars that you just past will be too busy enjoying their revenge to let you out.

It's because most drivers can't read signs so trundle along the open lane like sheep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom