• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Urgent - fuel filler lid stuck closed

MSG2004

Car
GLE, AMG Line
Hello

2016 GLE had from new, recently fuel flap difficult to close and today at the petrol station it would not open so came back home without filling
I've looked on the net/forums etc, there is no easy access to the back of the ld from the boot, need to take off trim.

When I press the lid to open it makes mechanical noises like open and close but wont open. I've tried everything

We were planning on going to an event tomorrow and need a full tank. I was thinking of call the MB breakdown service
as the car has FSH, up to date with MB

All help appreciated.

ps - I've pushed on the lid on the other end as well hoping it wouls open. I also fear once open it may not close,

Hello

2016 GLE had from new, recently fuel flap difficult to close and today at the petrol station it would not open so came back home without filling
I've looked on the net/forums etc, there is no easy access to the back of the ld from the boot, need to take off trim.

When I press the lid to open it makes mechanical noises like open and close but wont open. I've tried everything

We were planning on going to an event tomorrow and need a full tank. I was thinking of call the MB breakdown service
as the car has FSH, up to date with MB

All help appreciated.

ps - I've pushed on the lid on the other end as well hoping it wouls open. I also fear once open it may not close,
Yep . Just call Mobilio out , why risk breaking anything.

There are quite a few posts/videos on utube dealing with this sort of problem.
Apparently all vehicles ( depending on age ) must have a release cable/button in the event of a malfunction. This is to prevent vehicles stopping due to empty tanks.
I could very well be wrong... According to my better half this happens quite frequently.

Thank you all
I've looked for a couple of hours the vids etc - my car, if it has one is a big task in the cold weather, IE take off, remove the large internal panel ad eve then it's not straightforward.

The older mercs, some have a cord, red cord but they still have to reach the small red lever.

I'll let MB tech have a look at it. MB offered to send someone out tonight but RAC chap or a MB tech tomorrow.
I will wait for the MB tech and see what they say. There is just a fraction under half a tank of fuel in there and I think the car holds 98 litres, so ok for a while.

I also took out Motoreasy warranty their top one for a piece of mind and I do vaguely recall reading and them telling my windows and locs were not covered, but I will see what the MB tech says/does first and take it from there.

It’s a common fault and an inexpensive part. Replacing the motorised (not electrical) release mechanism fixes it most of the time. The Mercedes tech will have several on his van. It can usually be opened with a mix of extra force, experience, technique and a sprinkling of luck.

If you fancy trying again, push the flap inwards with a little extra force as close as you can to the left hand edge of the flap, half way up. Whilst applying pressure inwards, start to apply some pressure pushing it towards the right.

Try a few times and you might just release it.

Updated
MB Mobilio came out this morning before 9am.
Replaced as others had suggested and youtube videos were indicating the actuator.
Paid 38 pounds for the part.
Working fine.
I double-checked, and there is no easy access to the little red lever for manual opening or a red string like those on some of the older cars.
The part is easily replaced once the flap is opened via manipulation and then take out and slot fit the new actuator that is about 75mm tall and 50mm wide,

Thank you all to those that helped/tried.

(I am guessing if I took my car to Mercedes, firstly it would have not been seen same day and I think they charge about 220 labour per hour so it would have been that and part at 38 pounds.

Updated
MB Mobilio came out this morning before 9am.
Replaced as others had suggested and youtube videos were indicating the actuator.
Paid 38 pounds for the part.
Working fine.
I double-checked, and there is no easy access to the little red lever for manual opening or a red string like those on some of the older cars.
The part is easily replaced once the flap is opened via manipulation and then take out and slot fit the new actuator that is about 75mm tall and 50mm wide,

Thank you all to those that helped/tried.

(I am guessing if I took my car to Mercedes, firstly it would have not been seen same day and I think they charge about 220 labour per hour so it would have been that and part at 38 pounds.
Glad it’s sorted 👍🏻

I haven’t been charged when Mobilo replaced them, but I think the part was £20 when a main dealer replaced one.L, but as you suggest there was labour costs involved too, so getting the breakdown service to replace it is definitely less expensive and most convenient (if it has to be done).

...(I am guessing if I took my car to Mercedes, firstly it would have not been seen same day and I think they charge about 220 labour per hour so it would have been that and part at 38 pounds.

That would have actually been a very good deal... normally I'd expect them to slap another hundred quid or so on top for 'diagnostic fee'.....

Thanks all.
Yes, I too was thinking that, about the diagnostics possibly - its about 200 per hour but if i was luck as its a very common fault on the A Class, they should easily worked it out.
All in all, easiest, less time-consuming, and worrying outcome.

There is a video re A Class I think - you can you a lolly stick to open from outside but mask the area outside the flay to save marking the pian - the tech did someothing similar as I saw him mask the rea outside the flap and then I went inside - took him about 30 mins

Btw, I'm certain that there is no easy way to access the red lever from the inside of my car/GLE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom