Very OT - E111 forms are being replaced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very helpful link!!

I got a new paper E111 only in June and it said on there that the cards would be issued automatically.

Just went to the website and it said they'd already been issued. Rang the number given and they will issue duplicates.

So not sure where the originals are - but should get the replacements in two weeks. Fortunately the paper E111 is valid to 31 December, but if you are travelling soon then it's worth making sure you are OK. ;)

We go to Rome in three weeks so may or may not have the new cards. :crazy:

We've had our plastic cards for about three weeks. Got them automatically (having got new paper E111111's in April).

No probs.

PJ

I spent a long time up at the Prescription Pricing Authority in Newcastle designing the system that's handling the EHIC. Was an awful lot of work, but kinda fun - the forms are scanned in, then processed by a computer wherever they can be using OCR, then verified by humans who have the very boring job of reading and confirming that the computer has read your form correctly ;-)

Anyways, anyone who has filled in an E111 form since about the start of this year and has ticked the box saying that they want an EHIC should get one automatically. However I guess it's always possible that the human verifying your form simply clicked the wrong box, or the computer missed the tick and the human didn't notice. You should get the duplicates in time though.

Having said that, your E111 is valid and you don't need the EHIC until next year so you'll be fine. I envy you Pammy, I wanna go to Italy for a bit!

-simon

I have often wondered, if you have annual travel insurance, do you still need an E111

WLeg said:

Thanks just applied online for ours, so much easier than the hassle of the Post Office & the E111. Apparantly the cards will be with us wihin 7 days (or perhaps not seeing some of the other posts!)

Always worth having travel insurance to compliment the E111 or EHIC as they only provide basic cover (I believe that stuff like re-patriation isn't covered, i.e. if you break your leg etc & couldnn't travel back using normal transportation means).

Geoff2 said:
I have often wondered, if you have annual travel insurance, do you still need an E111

Yes - your insurance company will seek to recoup basic medical expenses (or, in fact, expect you to do so) and you will find that claims may be reduced if you do not have/use E111. You'll find this in the small print of your policy.

Also bear in mind that in many countries under E111, you have to pay for treatment and then claim back from the appropriate place in country. It does not entitle you to NHS-type treatment whilst abroad.

Important News

Just to say that if anyone is still waiting for their EHIC, ordered via the E111 form, they have all been sent out.

Anyone that thinks they placed an order and haven't had their card/s should call the EHIC Enquiry line 0845 605 0707.

Have just called the number as we filled out new forms this year (back in July) but have no cards.....

Advisor said that there is no record for us on the system, but call back with NI numbers, etc, and cards will be sent out within 14 days.

Medical treatment in Europe

We have had the chip cards in Luxembourg for about a year. Note that when you visit most medical facilities in Europe you must, on the first visit show your card. You then pay the doctor on a per visit basis. Here it is about €30 which can be mostly reclaimed form the local medical authority. Prescriptions seem to cost around €5 non refundable.
If we visit Germany we show our card, pay our money and collect the receipts which we send to our local medical autrhority and again we get most of the cost re-imbursed.
In many Euroepan countries, the Pharmacies have a monopoly on distribution and so you will not find supermarkets and shops selling common remedies. In other words they are relatively expensive, so take things like aspirin and kids medicines with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom