Vito W639 showing "ESP visit workshop"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shumart

Car
Vito Dualiner 113
I was driving this week and part way though a journey my van started showing ESP visit workshop of the dash display.
I've started to have a look but not gotten anywhere and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice?

Van is a 2012 W639

This is the fault and how far I have gotten:

Dash is showing "ESP visit workshop" on the middle display.
ESP light is on & ABS light is off.
ASR button appears to do nothing
When I try to activate cruise control i get Speedtronic/cruise cont. Visit workshop

I have checked the following:

Checked all the fuses and they are ok.
Brake light switch appears to work, brakes lights work and switch shows as working on my iCarsoft MB 2.0
No fault codes logged..

I have tried to interrogate the ESP - Electronic stability control module using the iCarsoft but it it wont connect, comes up with something like link failed. The dash display does show Brake force distribution diagnosis rig test and the ABS light comes on the dash momentarily.
I also cant see the steering angle anywhere in the live data.

Should I be able to access the ESP module and see the steering angle live data with a iCarsoft MB 2.0?
I tried to calibrate the steering angle sensor using the SAS option in the service section of the iCarsoft but i cant have doneit correctly as now the ABS light is also on and the dash is displaying ABS Visit workshop.

I have not checked the wheel sensors yet, I could not see any wheel speed indication on the iCarsoft but I presumably just test them with DVM.

Any thoughts on what I could do next or shopuld it go to a garage?

Uneven tyre wear, one tyre very worn other/s not so.
Wheels speed sensors.

Have you tried iCarsoft interrogation through the Canbus, the OBD route gives very little on the 639.

It's had new tyres all round 1000 Mike's ago, I will check pressures tho.
I have been checking through canbus

I have checked both front wheel speed sensors with a multimeter and their loop is 5M ohms each, I'm assuming this is fine as they are both the same.

I have managed to successfully complete the steering angle sensor calibration using the iCarsoft and now the ABS fault has gone away, in fact following the successful completion of the calibration all faults cleared until I pulled away when the ESP fault came back straight away. This is making me think a wheel speed sensor, as I have not checked the rears i will check them next.

Id say wheel speed sensor too....Resistance wont tell you much on a wheel speed ....put the multi-meter setting on millivolts and very slowly spin the wheel or disc....the voltage should fluctuate....it not its dead.

I was driving this week and part way though a journey my van started showing ESP visit workshop of the dash display.
I've started to have a look but not gotten anywhere and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice?

Van is a 2012 W639

This is the fault and how far I have gotten:

Dash is showing "ESP visit workshop" on the middle display.
ESP light is on & ABS light is off.
ASR button appears to do nothing
When I try to activate cruise control i get Speedtronic/cruise cont. Visit workshop

I have checked the following:

Checked all the fuses and they are ok.
Brake light switch appears to work, brakes lights work and switch shows as working on my iCarsoft MB 2.0
No fault codes logged..

I have tried to interrogate the ESP - Electronic stability control module using the iCarsoft but it it wont connect, comes up with something like link failed. The dash display does show Brake force distribution diagnosis rig test and the ABS light comes on the dash momentarily.
I also cant see the steering angle anywhere in the live data.

Should I be able to access the ESP module and see the steering angle live data with a iCarsoft MB 2.0?
I tried to calibrate the steering angle sensor using the SAS option in the service section of the iCarsoft but i cant have doneit correctly as now the ABS light is also on and the dash is displaying ABS Visit workshop.

I have not checked the wheel sensors yet, I could not see any wheel speed indication on the iCarsoft but I presumably just test them with DVM.

Any thoughts on what I could do next or shopuld it go to a garage?

Hello Shumart, did you manage to source the problem you’re having? I am having a similar problem with a w639 on a 13 plate. ESP visit work shop, ABS and the rotating tyre symbol are showing on the dash. I’ve not delved into the depths of wheel speed sensors or steering angle or any sort of calibration, I wouldn’t have even thought of that at this stage or probably any other stage for that matter! The warning lights that are permanently displayed on my van remind me of when my battery has been flat. Brake force distribution also flashes up when my battery has been kaput! Jump the battery and the warning info on the dash disappears.

I had recently replaced a proper dead battery with a half decent one …… turns out that was sha**ed too, as that’s when the warning info popped up. The battery was down to 50% according to my charger. One new battery later the warning info is still present. So now I’m at the point where I’m stuck! My van is going into a work shop for other repairs on 5th July so if all fails trying to rectify my new problems, the garage will be looking into that also and I will post my findings on here.

If you or anybody else has advise on this matter, we can hopefully crack the problem between us and share the love for future members in a pickle!

I have checked the rear wheel speed sensors now on resistance and like the front they both measure the same. I was
unable to rotate the wheel and check the AC millivolts as i was doing it on my own.
If a wheel speed sensor was faulty, logically I would expect an ABS fault?

I have not taken mine to the garage yet but I will do soon. Ill be interested to see what they said about yours.

I have checked the rear wheel speed sensors now on resistance and like the front they both measure the same. I was
unable to rotate the wheel and check the AC millivolts as i was doing it on my own.
If a wheel speed sensor was faulty, logically I would expect an ABS fault?

I have not taken mine to the garage yet but I will do soon. Ill be interested to see what they said about yours.

So the van came back from the garage and it was suffering from a faulty rear abs sensor (little unsure if this is the same as the wheel speed sensor?) the garage reported that the sensor had suffered some sort of impact as it was clearly damaged. Most likely from something being kicked up from the road, just unlucky I suppose.

Thanks for letting me know. Logically you would have thought the ABS sensor would have brought up an ABS fault, clearly not though. Might have to revisit my wheel speed sensors a bit more thoroughly.

Just in case anyone else finds this useful....

So found the fault in the end, turned out to be the brake light switch! A common fault I know but I thought I had ruled it out but checking the brake lights and watching it operate on my icarsoft.
Turns out the brake light switch has 2 pairs of contacts, one clearly operates the lights and gives the canbus signal so I presume the other feeds into the ESP unit. I took the switch apart to see of it could be cleaned/repaired but the faulty switch contact is not accessible.

To test and see if its the brake light causing the ESP fault this video is good...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hold the brake pedal down, turn on the ignition, make sure the ESP fault is clear. Release the brake pedal, if the ESP fault comes back then the switch is faulty.

What I needed to do (and should have done in the first place) is update the software in my iCarsoft MB2. Mine hadn't been done in the 3 years I owned it, after I had updated it I could access the ESP module and see the fault code telling me it was the brake light switch.

I had wrongly presumed as the van was 10 years old and the iCarsoft was 3 years old, the software it was released with would be able to access the module.

So found the fault in the end, turned out to be the brake light switch! A common fault I know but I thought I had ruled it out but checking the brake lights and watching it operate on my icarsoft.
Turns out the brake light switch has 2 pairs of contacts, one clearly operates the lights and gives the canbus signal so I presume the other feeds into the ESP unit. I took the switch apart to see of it could be cleaned/repaired but the faulty switch contact is not accessible.

To test and see if its the brake light causing the ESP fault this video is good...

Hold the brake pedal down, turn on the ignition, make sure the ESP fault is clear. Release the brake pedal, if the ESP fault comes back then the switch is faulty.

What I needed to do (and should have done in the first place) is update the software in my iCarsoft MB2. Mine hadn't been done in the 3 years I owned it, after I had updated it I could access the ESP module and see the fault code telling me it was the brake light switch.

I had wrongly presumed as the van was 10 years old and the iCarsoft was 3 years old, the software it was released with would be able to access the module.

Brilliant bit of sussing out shumart. I checked the brake light switch on mine prior to its visit into the garage by testing the switch for resistance with a multi meter. I can’t quite remember the values that were displayed but I must have been content!

I have always been confident that the garage I use are an honest bunch and I still do. However, I think it’s time for me to save up for a half decent diagnostic tool so that I can identify future problems myself.

Brilliant bit of sussing out shumart. I checked the brake light switch on mine prior to its visit into the garage by testing the switch for resistance with a multi meter. I can’t quite remember the values that were displayed but I must have been content!

I have always been confident that the garage I use are an honest bunch and I still do. However, I think it’s time for me to save up for a half decent diagnostic tool so that I can identify future problems myself.
Try booking it into a Mercedes Indie who has a Star machine as that will tell you exactly where the issue lies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom