W124 ENGINE CONTROL UNIT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok thanks, am I right in thinking vin was of no use at all then?

Ok thanks, am I right in thinking vin was of no use at all then?
No the VIN number narrowed it down a bit- but not enough. It should read in full WDB1240662C039996 but that's not the problem. I only have access to the EPC You may need info from the WIS [ workshop information system] also which I don't currently have access to.;)

W124 ECU world of pain

Go to this site and put you vin number in . Everything Benz it will tell you more about your vin number if you put it in dont forget its the WDB you start the vin number with... Or go to Mercedes Parts Centre [ google it ]

Grober would this model have the E after the 320E or before -E320 ?
94 was the transition year where the new running gear was introduced but the old exterior trim/grille etc remained Iirc that year the cars were designated as 320E but later with the new exterior they became E320's It's difficult to date the changes precisely by year because they were normally introduced in AUG/SEPT after the factory shut down for the annual holiday and took some time to percolate thro to the UK market.:confused:

There's this-- no idea of its accuracy
W124 M104 ECU Swap Guidelines
quote:-
per EPC, 93-95 104.992's use ECM A 018 545 67 32 up to Ident F 287514/C 117897, and A 016 545 57 32 after those numbers. pretty sure that break number is the late 1995 models with teh alternate wiring harness and different sensors.

a virgin unit would need encoding with a 'hand held tester' but the codes are all the same, 000 018 133, regardless of whether or not the vehicle as ASR, so its safe to assume any used unit will already be encoded.

A little further investigation on your chassis no would indicate engine no 104.992 and a 722.503 5 speed autobox?

94 was the transition year where the new running gear was introduced but the old exterior trim/grille etc remained Iirc that year the cars were designated as 320E but later with the new exterior they became E320's It's difficult to date the changes precisely by year because they were normally introduced in AUG/SEPT after the factory shut down for the annual holiday and took some time to percolate thro to the UK market.:confused:
It is badged E320 and was registered 18/3/1994, has a glovebox, no key sensors and small grill

Dean With all the information i can see above,, i think the best thing would be for you to contact VDO HFM ACTRONICS LTD that Grober so helpfully came up with dont you ?. And ask if they will help you sort this out . Its hard not knowing the part number of the ECU thats missing .Give ACtronics your vin number and they will help you sort out the right part if your lucky ..

Got 1 for £140 took pot luck plugged it in although could hear more bits doing stuff no start, had spark no fuel as would run on easy start cracked a fuel line no fuel.
Laid underneath and turned to first click no initial pump noise checked fuses relays plugs etc and still nothing, gave the pumps a wack with a rubber mallet and got them making noise but still no fuel took of banjos filter etc and no fuel coming through so removed whole assembly and let crappy old fuel drain out tank. Bench tested both pumps and 1 dead (blocked) and the other spinning but no fuel flowing took of spring fitting from end of pump and wacked that put it back on pump it then popped then started flowing (stuck spring) put 1 pump with filter back on primed through jumping relay and was now getting fuel at engine, put relay back in and it started first turn. After double checking fluids and temporary fixing up the pump and filter took it for a drive all works lovely all gears work and cruise works so happy days, 1 cheap cabrio.

Last edited:
Good news but you will never stop . Every now and then you will need to dig in to the old wallet .But worth it in the end . And you will enjoy working on the old girl ..i know ..

Dean , do you really mean that ? Mind you it might be for the best , because once you start replacing parts its like a rope around your neck.Even when it looks like your jobs have come to an end,, you go and start spending on other bits and bobs that dont need swaping out . Ask me why i know .

Good news but you will never stop . Every now and then you will need to dig in to the old wallet .But worth it in the end . And you will enjoy working on the old girl ..i know ..

Dean , do you really mean that ? Mind you it might be for the best , because once you start replacing parts its like a rope around your neck.Even when it looks like your jobs have come to an end,, you go and start spending on other bits and bobs that dont need swaping out . Ask me why i know .
Laugh a minute you are

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom