• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W124 musings.....

shanksy

Car
W124 e220 coupe + W208 CLK430
Just wondered a couple of things on the way home tonight.....

The sunroof switch is backlit, should the interior light switch ?

With the full beam setting on the stalk, you instead of flicking forward you can pull towards as if to flash and then release with a flick and it'll pop forward onto the fixed full beam. Was this by design or just incidental ?

I'm going with design, but annoying for the on-comers if you do it by accident though...

No idea about either, but the dome light with the sunroof switch takes but a few seconds to remove so you can easily see if there is a bulb that needs changing. There is a spring clip on the drivers side, so gently push the assembly toward the drivers side and it can then lowered.

Thanks millo, I do have a spare dome light section but i'm thinking that the switches themselves are illuminated like the dash buttons, rather than a replaceable bulb behind like the heater and vents.

Yes, they should all be illuminated... Enjoy getting the wood off!! I've got to do mine, the fan speed rotary switch doesn't illuminate at present, although the direction control does. Because using one larger bulb with a plastic light channel would have just been too easy.

the fan speed rotary switch doesn't illuminate at present, although the direction control does. Because using one larger bulb with a plastic light channel would have just been too easy.
These are easy to replace. Just pull out the switch and the bulb is behind.

@Lxb3 - I replaced all my dash bulbs just before Christmas, well worth the effort.
If you have trouble pulling the rotary switch off, make sure its pointing up then take a strip of duct tape and attach the ends to either side of the switch grips. This gives you a length of tape to pull on whilst holding the switch. Much easier than trying to use pliers without damaging the plastic.

Afternoon all, my first post after the rigmarole trying to convince the system I'm not a spammer.

Lots of little jobs to do on my newly acquired 300TD estate w124, but the left hand side console light not being on is bugging me. I've just got the heater rotary bulb sorted, but what's the procedure for getting to the other one?

Also, should the headlight switch be illuminated? I can't find any info on that..

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Welcome Paddingtonfire. The headlight switch is illuminated on mine - but its a PITA at night as it reflects in the drivers door window. Personally I prefer it not illuminated.

Afternoon all, my first post after the rigmarole trying to convince the system I'm not a spammer.

Lots of little jobs to do on my newly acquired 300TD estate w124, but the left hand side console light not being on is bugging me. I've just got the heater rotary bulb sorted, but what's the procedure for getting to the other one?

Also, should the headlight switch be illuminated? I can't find any info on that..

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Hi Mike, i'm not sure quite which bulb you mean - The black plastic dial or the temp wheel ?

For the headlight switch, the small white triangle does not light up as it does with the central dials, the orange light only comes on with the fog lights.
There is a 1.2w bulb behind the panel though which backlights all the white symbols in the surrounding area.

Yup my mistook. The bulb behind the panel which houses the headlight switch backlights the white symbols. I still get the reflection in the drivers side window and it was a PITA again tonight.

I never notice the reflection in mine, but then I do have my dash set very dim.
@Mike - replacing the bulb is just as easy, pull off using the method above, unscrew the nut (I use needlenose pliers) the the plastic trim needs to slide slightly to the right to come out. Doesn't take much effort to remove, you'll see the clips on the back where it slides in

Yup my mistook. The bulb behind the panel which houses the headlight switch backlights the white symbols. I still get the reflection in the drivers side window and it was a PITA again tonight.

Agreed. It's one of the few irritating design flaws on the 124.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Once you remove the nut and the trim you will find a clear plastic light channel thing. This needs to be prised out gently to reveal the bulb. The bulbs should be 0.4watts. Can be hard to source unless direct from MB. Most aftermarket are 1.2 watts and can get quite hot.

I know most of the dash bulbs are the 0.4W ones, thought the headlight surround one was the slightly larger 1.2W although can't honestly remember now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom