W124 - the itch I still haven't scratched

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
0 miles? Motorway mileage. Full electrics pack? It has manual seats. Be ultra quick? I tend to avoid these kind of sellers.

No air con, no cruise, milage left out of the ad. Probably coming up for a wiring loom change. About 800 to 1200 notes fitted.

Not snapped up by Charlie Ironprice or Froomie (morning Nick) - something is amiss.

I've fancied one of these for years, and now MERCEDES BENZ W124 E220 ESTATE 7 SEATER - FINAL PRODUCTION RUN! | eBay

Does anyone know this car, or the dealer ? Any horror stories or general advice please feel free to message me.

Thanks

Patrick

Patrick

I have 300Te 4Matic 7 seater. They are addictive cars. Once driven you are smitten. They were over engineered by some margin. Why use one screw when you could use the entire box. The look is even better today than it was 20 years ago. They are simply cool looking cars to cruise about in. Great workhorse. With the seats down you have an aircraft hanger behind you (they even fitted locking pins to ensure that the rear seats were perfectly flat when down)

I still like to be driven while sitting in the back (that is the child in me)

Looks a bit pricey. But if it is good then who cares. You will have such a blast driving it.

Looks nice but its very basic spec. They are great cars to drive and cover huge distances very easily. The 6 cylinder 280/320 are much better to drive and use relatively little extra fuel. However they do have the dreaded loom problem.

Nice, got to be worth a look - seller obviously knows little enough about W124s
If it's rust free and running nicely with a real fsh that's a keeper - nicer with £500 or off...

However they do have the dreaded loom problem.

Why do people go on and on (and on and on and on and on) about W124 looms? Why is it "dreaded"?

It's a part that fails - you replace it. Just like silencers, balljoints, rear spheres, tyres, belt idler pulleys, throttle bodies, front wings & etc. It's easy to fit - I fitted one in 45 minutes so it can't be that hard

Budget £750 / year to run a W124 and it'll eat up one year's budget. Not the end of the world, is it?

Nick Froome

bolide said:
Why do people go on and on (and on and on and on and on) about W124 looms? Why is it "dreaded"?

It's a part that fails - you replace it. Just like silencers, balljoints, rear spheres, tyres, belt idler pulleys, throttle bodies, front wings & etc. It's easy to fit - I fitted one in 45 minutes so it can't be that hard

Budget £750 / year to run a W124 and it'll eat up one year's budget. Not the end of the world, is it?

Nick Froome

20 odd years ago it was a dream car,I must admit.With today's emissions standards and fuel efficiency demand,just doesn't make sense having it.

Nick Froome

No its not the end of the world but if you dont know about it you cannot budget.

He has six post for gawd's sake.

20 odd years ago it was a dream car,I must admit.With today's emissions standards and fuel efficiency demand,just doesn't make sense having it.

Why not, it'll do 30mpg probably or late 20's. About the same as a petrol modern E class. It will be slower and less agile, but still perfectably acceptable. Crash safety has moved on a bit since the 124 but its a £2k car. Who cares. You won't get a nicer car for the money.

No its not the end of the world but if you dont know about it you cannot budget.

He has six post for gawd's sake.

x2. A forum here is to share knowledge. A wiring loom is a 6pot petrol 124 weakness (320 engines), front springs are a 211 weakness, body rust is a 210 weakness....

I think its a nice example. Looks ok in the pics. Miles may be high but if its in good condition, which really matters on a car this age, whats not to like?

I've moved the thread to spotted on eBay. It sits better there.

Nick Froome
... also the loom is now fitted to every model of 124 and old Mercedes- via the internet!

I saw this one some time ago, nice colour on the outside and in good condition.. but that blue interior and cloth seats just wasnt for me. If it had grey, beige or black leather interior, it'd be sitting in my driveway by now.

Thanks all, some sensible replies, thanks. Agreed, I'd rather not have cloth seats, but it does look nice all the same....

I bought a W124 from him 2 years ago. Pleasant enough chap when he is selling but does not describe the cars properly. Thinks a full service history is 5 stamps and goes into hiding if you try to come back on the warranty he gives -the ECU and wiring loom went within 4 weeks of buying it which is incredible bad luck or something else(cant prove anything). I guess the only difference buying from them is the cars are pricier and they give them a better clean than possibly a private seller would.
He also had a coouple of 129's at that time in awful condition described as 'mint' or 'near concours'
I went back to buying privately after that experience although id probably buy a car from W124.com.

I bought a W124 from him 2 years ago. Pleasant enough chap when he is selling but does not describe the cars properly. Thinks a full service history is 5 stamps and goes into hiding if you try to come back on the warranty he gives -the ECU and wiring loom went within 4 weeks of buying it which is incredible bad luck or something else(cant prove anything). I guess the only difference buying from them is the cars are pricier and they give them a better clean than possibly a private seller would.
He also had a coouple of 129's at that time in awful condition described as 'mint' or 'near concours'
I went back to buying privately after that experience although id probably buy a car from W124.com.

He sabotaged/deliberately damaged a car he sold you?

Last edited:
Er no i doubt it - why would anyone do that? I was suggesting he may have had some knowledge of the ECU or wiring loom issue when he sold it. Caveat emptor etc etc so lesson learnt i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom