• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W124 Tranny oil change

punjabi

Car
V230, 300TE
Since about a year now, the 300TE Auto had developed 'delayed' gear changes and slight 'jerky' changes. It has done around 197K miles. Took the car for an MOT a few weeks ago and mentioned the tranny 'problem' to the mechanic just to get an 'opinion' from him. Although it passed the MOT with flying colours, the mech stated that the tranny may be knackered and should be replaced. With a bit of skepticism on that comment, I decided to give the tranny an oil and filter change. Quite an easy task. Drained the oil (3.5l), dropped the sump, replaced the oil filter (3 screws) which was almost blocked solid with 'gunge'. Didn't bother with the oil from the TQ as to much bother turning the engine to get to the drip bolt and evening was closing in! However, put in same amount of oil as came out (MB ATF OIL) and lo behold......:).........the tranny is now as smooth as silk, absolutely fantastic - these models are engineered like no other! Guess, it was running on the factory oil and filter for 197K miles!:eek:

Always try an oil and filter change before condemning the tranny!

I would change the rest of the oil in there as well for maximum effect and benefit. As you say, its not a hard job and will ultimately prolong the life of the gearbox if done properly, not to mention keeping it smooth as silk.

Oil amount

I would think that the box should have more than 3,5lt of ATF. More like between 6 and 7 at least with the converter.

Good job. Diy servicing gives you a sense of satisfaction, lets you bond with your car and obviously you're saving on labour.

Recommended changes are every 36k miles for the atf. You don't need to use MB stuff either, Dexron III is all the spec that's needed.

Your maintenance obviously made a great difference. As you didn't drain out the torque converter, you might want to do another atf change in a short period of time, just to dilute the old atf a bit more.

Thanks for this - I'll remember your advice!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom