W204 C220 Tyre Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBBash

Car
C220 CDI Blue Efficiency Estate
Hello all

Hope someone can assist/advise.

I'm new to the MB brand and am currently driving a W204 C220.

All four tyres need replacing and the tyre information sticker on the car advises the recommended size configurations - see below.

However, the car currently has 205/55/R16 V tyres all round and, in my mind, drives fine.

My concern is I may be invalidating my insurance by keeping the existing setup or inadvertently causing other issues that I am not aware of.

Am I good to keep the existing configuration or should I really stick to the MB configuration as per the sticker?

TIA.

Tyres.jpg

I HAVE a staggered setup on the S205 AMG Line, and this is my sticker!
Seems that I can fit any size that I like! View attachment 133678🤣
Yep, that's really informative:D
Still, at least you could save a few quid by running 155/70's on it;)

This chart may help the OP.

C Class (W/S204)​

Click to see alloy wheels for the Mercedes-Benz C Class (W/S204)
16x743205/55R16Mercedes-Benz
16x7.553225/50R16Mercedes-Benz
So, 7" wheels =205/55 and 7.5" wheels = 225/50 no stagger.(unless he has 7"fronts and 7.5" rears. But why would he on a 220?)

Last edited:
Hello all

Hope someone can assist/advise.

I'm new to the MB brand and am currently driving a W204 C220.

All four tyres need replacing and the tyre information sticker on the car advises the recommended size configurations - see below.

However, the car currently has 205/55/R16 V tyres all round and, in my mind, drives fine.

My concern is I may be invalidating my insurance by keeping the existing setup or inadvertently causing other issues that I am not aware of.

Am I good to keep the existing configuration or should I really stick to the MB configuration as per the sticker?

TIA.

View attachment 133673
What you have is fine, it’s first on the list. It’s not a staggered setup, if that were the case the group below would have a different tyre on each wheel!

Really appreciative of all the replies.

The car is an estate car, if that makes any difference.

I too was interpreting the sticker as advising a staggered setup with the second section viewed as pairs.

Will stick to the current setup for the replacement tyres - much more cost friendly too.

(unless he has 7"fronts and 7.5" rears. But why would he on a 220?)
Nothing would surprise me with MB - in the same way that mine are 8j front, 8.5j rear with 225/40 18s and 255/35 18s.......on a 1.6
Somewhat over-specced really😂

Reactions: JHS
R does not equal V in this instance................................suspect that R = 16" whereas V = 148mph.

Really appreciative of all the replies.

The car is an estate car, if that makes any difference.

I too was interpreting the sticker as advising a staggered setup with the second section viewed as pairs.

Will stick to the current setup for the replacement tyres - much more cost friendly too.

I had a 2013 W204 that had the same sticker as yours and came from the factory with four 205/55 R16 tyres.

You're good to go! :D

I've looked in a 2009 brochure for the W204: estates were available with two styles of 16" wheel, depending on the model, fitted with the 205/55 tyre all-round. There was an optional 16" wheel fitted with 225/50 tyres all-round. No staggered 16" wheels/tyres. Some saloon models were available with 195 tyres on 16" wheels.

Sport models had 17" staggered wheels/tyres.

Yours are fine.

Can't see your problem. The sticker says 205/55 R16 OR 225/50 R16 all round.
Unless I have been making a mistake for all of my car owning days.
I agree different sizes available, also different market's

Again, I can't thank everyone enough for taking the time to reply - very much appreciated.

Incidentally
I pumped my tyres to the recommended pressures from the sticker you have and the car was very twitchy and didnt give any warning of when the back might step out during spirited driving. I reduced the pressures, and the car is waaaay more stable and predictable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom