• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W205 C-Class Rear Diff Noise HELP!

jayforbess

Car
W205 C-Class
Just recently replaced brake pads and discs all round on this vehicle due to horrendous noise and the fact the discs were very pitted and corroded and pads touching metal, however this is originally what I assumed the noise to be, after replacing and road testing I discovered the noise was still present. I drove the vehicle on the ramp and discovered this horrendous noise coming from the rear diff when the vehicle is being accelerated. Sound worse when no weight on the vehicle any idea what this could be, no history of rear diff oil change and vehicle has done 80k, any advise would be really appreciated.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just recently replaced brake pads and discs all round on this vehicle due to horrendous noise and the fact the discs were very pitted and corroded and pads touching metal, however this is originally what I assumed the noise to be, after replacing and road testing I discovered the noise was still present. I drove the vehicle on the ramp and discovered this horrendous noise coming from the rear diff when the vehicle is being accelerated. Sound worse when no weight on the vehicle any idea what this could be, no history of rear diff oil change and vehicle has done 80k, any advise would be really appreciated.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Drain the rear diff oil out and see whats In it ….cheap job to refill , 1.3L of Fuchs needed (2x1L bottles needed ) .
Are you saying you accelerated the car on the ramp with the rear wheels lifted ? If so what about rear foot brake making the noise inside the rear brake disc hub ?

Drain the rear diff oil out and see whats In it ….cheap job to refill , 1.3L of Fuchs needed (2x1L bottles needed ) .
Are you saying you accelerated the car on the ramp with the rear wheels lifted ? If so what about rear foot brake making the noise inside the rear brake disc hub ?
Yes mate I accelerated the car on the ramp and this was the outcome, never had any oil at time of checking, definitely doesn’t sound like it is coming from either side of the rear brakes, hard to pick up on the video

Yes mate I accelerated the car on the ramp and this was the outcome, never had any oil at time of checking, definitely doesn’t sound like it is coming from either side of the rear brakes, hard to pick up on the video
I mean no oil to top up vehicle with so I didn’t drain it

Firstly I would check the oil in the diff. Then do the same procedure as you did before but using a long screw driver with the handle to your ear and the other end on the diff, then the rear hubs you will be able to ascertain where the noise is at it's loudest. I know video clips don't give the best sound quality but I've never heard that kind of noise from a differential.

Note that the diff usually leaks from the driveshaft seals on either side, so check the driveshafts for any sign of wetness.

Diffs rarely go wrong on their own accord, though obviously some sort of internal damage is always a possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom