W205 C43 Rear shocker leaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveS43

Car
C43
Has anyone had their rear shock absorbers starting to leak on 2017 w205 Cab it's only done 29k.
My Right hand rear shocker has just started to weep fluid.
So I am going to replace it.

Just wanted to ask if this is a common failure

I recently bought a 2018 C63, there was an annoying rattle coming from the interior so I booked it in for them to check it out. They managed to locate and fix the rattle and whilst it was in they done the customary vehicle check. One of the back shockies had a very slight leak, the car had only done 3500 miles, they changed both under warranty.

What happens when you bounce your shockers?
Do they continue bouncing after you let go?

When shockers leak or bounce then it's time for replacement

What happens when you bounce your shockers?
Do they continue bouncing after you let go?

When shockers leak or bounce then it's time for replacement
The question was to find out if this is a common issue!

One shocker is leaking very slightly & yes it will need replacing.

If you have bad shocks on low mileage and they were worn ?.
Something is definitely wrong.
This is not common for an AMG shock, perhaps you got a lemon?

Always replace in pair

Both rear shockers have been replaced now. Apparently this is quite common for these to leak
So heads up Mercedes do this repair quite often

few months ago I had to change both rear shocks because they were leaking. Today at the service they told me again the rear shocks are leaking. please help me , What could be happening?

few months ago I had to change both rear shocks because they were leaking. Today at the service they told me again the rear shocks are leaking. please help me , What could be happening?
If they were new parts, then it will be parts warranty.
The shock absorber seal has failed.
Get in contact with who ever fitted or & supplied the parts.
I hope this helps

In the service recently told me that daily use of the sport + suspension on the road could be the cause of shock absorber failure , because it should be use only in closed tracks. what do you think about this?

In the service recently told me that daily use of the sport + suspension on the road could be the cause of shock absorber failure , because it should be use only in closed tracks. what do you think about this?
I disagree with that comment,
The shock absorber should be able to deal with its main job of dampening the suspension. The stiffness is adjusted electronically by passing a current through the metal particals that are within the fluid in the shock absorber's.
It looks like there is a weakness in a seal in the shockers that cause them to fail earlier than there expected life.
Going on a track will be more punishment on the suspension compared to normal road use.
Regards
Dave

I disagree with that comment,
The shock absorber should be able to deal with its main job of dampening the suspension. The stiffness is adjusted electronically by passing a current through the metal particals that are within the fluid in the shock absorber's.
It looks like there is a weakness in a seal in the shockers that cause them to fail earlier than there expected life.
Going on a track will be more punishment on the suspension compared to normal road use.
Regards
Dave

I agree with you, but they sent me to review page 243 of my user manual and there it explicitly says that the sport + mode should only be used on closed tracks. I'm going to change the shock absorbers again, but I don't want it to happen to me again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom