W205 C63 Experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

96SPEC

Car
W205
Hi All, I recently made - albeit unfortunately briefly - a long awaited move to a W205 C63 and thought I'd comment on experiences. Although I had the vehicle for a very short time the reason for not having the car now is outside of my control and I am looking for another. I came from a 1.8 W204 which I had for 6+ years.

I had my heart set on a proper AMG for a long time and decided to wait for a W205 although the W205 seems to draw a certain amount of criticism around dissapointing build quality and noise etc that the previous car didnt. I certainly realise now it is - even AMG differences aside - quite a different car. The W204 seemed to carry a certain all over solidness that lended itself nicely to that Benz feeling which hasnt entirely carried over to the new car but it is likely just a fair amount of steel that hasnt come across. It is not a complaint from me and its not like the W205 is lacking in robustness but I could probably understand now how some owners perceptions have translated into criticism and I can definitely relate to some of the concerns around interior rattles especially with the centre console and the comand screen. I also had HUD in the W205 and the trim around the HUD in the dash complained painfully in some situations.

The vehicle I had suffered from some bodywork complaints and which I believe were unique to that car however that said not entirely unique - I have seen on various W205s inconsistencies with the front end namely bumper/headlight alignments. There is no denying the panels and bumpers on the W205 are lighter and likely the bumper fitment is different. One dealer who looked at my W205 initially identified a missing bumper bracket however after further investigation they confirmed the expected bracket was also omitted from 2 other C63s they compared with. I dont know why they expected it in the first place but possibly a similar bracket existed on the W204 that hasnt come across. There are not many W205 bumper removal details online yet to compare enough with the W204.

Anyway above aside. That C63 goes like a train and stops nicely too! Fuel economy was reasonable - I got 32+mpg on a long run driving reasonably and occasional rattles aside the interior is a lovely place to be and definitely premium. I wanted a car with 18s expecting slightly better compliancy but I was still surprised how firm the ride remained even in Comfort however I will accept the compromise being the car it is. I think the standard 18s look great and I like the look of the additional rubber + cheaper too.

Spec wise I have now been spoilt with HUD and 360 Cam. I do not see many C63s with these 2 options currently advertised and I started to get used to both of them. If I was speccing a new one I would definitely add them. The car also had premium plus pack. To be honest I couldnt get used to keyless go and had already removed the button and stuck to using the good old key. I was also not completely sold on the roof - it seemed impossible to have it closed without the fabric cover due to the amount of heat that translated into the cabin and thereby losing the additional natural light. If a car came up without premium I would definitely consider it although my main concern would be losing the other features in the pack. The Burmeister was good but difficult to comment without comparison to the standard system. I'd wonder if there are good aftermarket upgrade options for the standard system if considering a car without Burmeister.

The car also had night package which I would definitely want on another car however I expect with the exception of the exhaust tips that the main chrome trim on the doors could be wrapped or plasti dipped if I was unable to find a car with the option. I believe the back windows are also further tinted.

Not much else to say but keen to get back into one asap and definitely having been without the car for a few weeks I certainly have an AMG bug!

Nice write up.
I hope you find your dream car. Good luck

As above, nice write up and I’m glad you haven’t let your original experience with an AMG put you off.
I had a W205 C63s for 2 years and loved it without a single issue. I switched to an W213 E63s and have had a few issues, but still love the car despite it’s problems.
Throughout forums and the big bad web you will always find all makes and models with various issues of some degree, but if you still believe in AMG then find another and I hope you will be happy with it as many of us are.

p.s, I agree with the 360 camera, what a luxury that is. HUD is a favourite of mine also.

Re Burmester, this should really be the standard setup. Audio20 will leave you scratching your head at what were MB thinking. On the other forum in the W205 section, there is a guy who gutted his C300 Audio20 system and upgraded the whole system. Check the thread out. If you do decide to stay with the C63, you'll have to put up with the rattles/creaking or get very adept at using felt to dampen them out. MB won't be much help in this.

mmmm. I must stop looking at the Giulia. I must stop look at the Giulia. I must stop looking at the Giulia.

There isnt much that tempts me away from Merc but wow the Giulia. Its a shame they havent suffered steeper depreciation already indeed they seem to be holding money fairly reasonably. QV looks crazy but even Veloce or TI looks reasonable quick and the base 2.0 can be remapped to deliver same output as Veloce/Ti.

Finally picked up my replacement on Friday after finding a car the weekend previously on MB site. A 2015 Obsidian Black C63 premium with night pack and an selectable exhaust with 11k on the clock. Loving it so far again. Actually the ride seems slightly more compliant and the cabin a little more smoother than the 16 car I briefly had - not sure why.

Drove all the way back from south coast in it - about 7hrs in the end through all manner of weather except snow and it felt planted in some pretty heavy rain. Some fellow AMG owner in a W204 wagon on the M25 seemed to want to share the love by revving crazily in <10mph traffic - unfortunately I couldnt reciprocate it erring for less attention in the traffic.

The switchable exhaust is great fun and even has its benefits when off. I hadnt realised it is also configurable through the dynamic select options which is neat. There is a noticeable difference with it on but I am struggling to recall now how it compares to a non selectable exhaust. Certainly one of the main benefits is you can have it in comfort but with the exhaust open. I felt with the previous car (non PE) that to get the full benefit of the exhaust you would have to be in s+.

This car also seems to be about 3-4mpg less than the last one...perhaps the tires are a factor as it has contis up front and MPSS on the rear.

:)

Enjoy your car, I had 2 years with my W205 C63 and loved it, no issues at all apart from a couple of really minor rattles from the dash. In fact the OB paint is so much better than the metallic black paint on my Porsche.

Averaged 26mpg over 20,000 miles, but had to go for something more economical and comfortable on the motorway, will always miss the V8 though!!

RR

mmmm. I must stop looking at the Giulia. I must stop look at the Giulia. I must stop looking at the Giulia.

There isnt much that tempts me away from Merc but wow the Giulia. Its a shame they havent suffered steeper depreciation already indeed they seem to be holding money fairly reasonably. QV looks crazy but even Veloce or TI looks reasonable quick and the base 2.0 can be remapped to deliver same output as Veloce/Ti.

I managed to sort a test drive “day” out driving the Giulia QF, M3 and C63 S all on the same day

The QF is a truly astonishing motor, especially the way it steers and the damping - the front end reminded me of my old 997 C2S (which has fantasttic steering - nearly up there with an Elise) it was that good, and the way it rode the UK roads was very impressive and it was a truly fast motor. It bettered the M3 and C 63 in both these departments.

But...mid test drive a fault light came on (with the obligatory oh, don’t worry about that, its a glitch), the cabin is nice but lower mid market at best and info/nav system was basic/poor and whilst I know we shouldn’t be buying these cars on trim levels if its your daily drive environment is pretty important. I then I opened the boot...a 12 month old car already hands the trim coming away. I left the garage with conflicting emotions, loved the way it drove but had those immediate Alfa reliability concerns.

I then went down and drove a C63 S - oh, that engine......the power is like a smaller M5 (which I’ve just got out of), but lighter and way more chuckable.

And now I’m on this forum so you can tell what decision I made!

I managed to sort a test drive “day” out driving the Giulia QF, M3 and C63 S all on the same day

The QF is a truly astonishing motor, especially the way it steers and the damping - the front end reminded me of my old 997 C2S (which has fantasttic steering - nearly up there with an Elise) it was that good, and the way it rode the UK roads was very impressive and it was a truly fast motor. It bettered the M3 and C 63 in both these departments.

But...mid test drive a fault light came on (with the obligatory oh, don’t worry about that, its a glitch), the cabin is nice but lower mid market at best and info/nav system was basic/poor and whilst I know we shouldn’t be buying these cars on trim levels if its your daily drive environment is pretty important. I then I opened the boot...a 12 month old car already hands the trim coming away. I left the garage with conflicting emotions, loved the way it drove but had those immediate Alfa reliability concerns.

I then went down and drove a C63 S - oh, that engine......the power is like a smaller M5 (which I’ve just got out of), but lighter and way more chuckable.

And now I’m on this forum so you can tell what decision I made!

I am surprised, the Alfa gets rave reviews in the press and is supposed to be a far superior car.

That’s kinda of what I said, from a pure driving perspective it IS the better car - its wonderful. But build quality isn’t up to German standards, nowhere near...

That’s kinda of what I said, from a pure driving perspective it IS the better car - its wonderful. But build quality isn’t up to German standards, nowhere near...

That is a really interesting insight. I imagine if you had driven a new one and ordered a new one you would have been very happy with it until little niggles like the trim starting to come away and the odd warning light came on a few months down the line and then possibly had a bit of buyers remorse. Might be a good idea to test drive a car a few months old to see what they are like then before ordering a new one in future :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom