• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W205 suspension squeak - goes away in wet weather

phil1994

Car
C205 C220d
Hi all,

Got a 2018 C205 with 30k miles on the clock. Going over speed bumps I notice a squeak/rubbing sound from the front suspension as it contracts/rebounds.

However, during wet days here in Wales, I notice the noise no longer occurs. Could this indicate some of the parts simply need lubrication?

Phil

Hi Phil. There have been several threads recently about the same problem. I was told by my old school mechanic to take it out in the rain or in my case I soaked all the front suspension with the garden hose & the noise disappeared too(with the assistance of a drive in a storm as well). Mine had just fairly recently passed its MOT(for what that's worth)with no advisories for worn suspension components. My mechanic was adamant it would fix the squeak & it did............... for now anyway. Rob

It is very likely to be one of the ball joints in the suspension

Some of the ball joints can be replaced individually and others are an integral part of the Torque struts (Mercedes description of the upper and lower control arms)

I have had this in a C Class and, recently, with my E Class, it is a common part that wears.

Because when it's wet the rubber gets lubricated, you could try a spray lubricant on all the suspension joints...

@phil1994 did you ever get this permanently fixed? have something similar (and also goes quiet in wet weather) on my 2020 C300, been into dealers twice. They've sprayed lubricant on it and that's temporarily fixed it but it keeps coming back.

Phil purchase a few tins of spray can silicone and ask the garage to spray all the rubber bushes and all items on the suspension made of rubber that they can find .. I would spray every rubber part under the car ,you will find that the rubber is going dry and just needs a bit if silicone on it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom