• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W212 E63 '15 wagon vs saloon - secondary decats?

Hi all,

I went back to PCW and finally did the resonator delete on the wagon....WOW. It finally sounds exactly how I wanted it.

We also checked the 'secondary cats' and in fact they are just small resonators. It seems like only the wagon has these between the cats and the central resonator. Mystery solved. They are definitely correct as they are stamped AMG with a 2014 date code.

So what do we have now...

Stock downpipes and cats, stock tiny resonators (wagon only I'm assuming), resonator delete, and modified back boxes. Paul said there's two ways to modify the backboxes. One where you completely gut them or one where it is slightly modified and doesn't drone. I went with that second option.

Will try and get a video up

The second way usually just removes the wadding from inside (from the top to hide the weld) and does not alter the metal work. Helped some one do that a few years back.....deeper sound rather than louder.
Like this.....
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi all,

I went back to PCW and finally did the resonator delete on the wagon....WOW. It finally sounds exactly how I wanted it.

We also checked the 'secondary cats' and in fact they are just small resonators. It seems like only the wagon has these between the cats and the central resonator. Mystery solved. They are definitely correct as they are stamped AMG with a 2014 date code.

So what do we have now...

Stock downpipes and cats, stock tiny resonators (wagon only I'm assuming), resonator delete, and modified back boxes. Paul said there's two ways to modify the backboxes. One where you completely gut them or one where it is slightly modified and doesn't drone. I went with that second option.

Will try and get a video up
You can see the small boxes between the resonator and primary cats on this diagram (M157 section) They don't even have a Part number so built into the pipework.

See the two small boxes are missing on the saloon exhaust

Glad you have a sound you are happy with.:thumb:

You can see the small boxes between the resonator and primary cats on this diagram (M157 section) They don't even have a Part number so built into the pipework.

See the two small boxes are missing on the saloon exhaust

Glad you have a sound you are happy with.:thumb:
Thanks for those diagrams! Super happy with the sound now. Funny they decided a different setup between the wagon and saloon

The second way usually just removes the wadding from inside (from the top to hide the weld) and does not alter the metal work. Helped some one do that a few years back.....deeper sound rather than louder.
Like this.....
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for the video! One thing I'll say is that I don't agree with his statement that a resonator delete doesn't do anything. It was a WORLD of difference for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom