W212 E63 AMG - 65 Plate - Rear Air Spring Issue ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wonder how common this is with Airmatic suspension? The OP is clearly eagle eyed to have picked this up in the first place, how many of us just get in the car and not notice whether it is happening or not. Which leads to my second query ie whether MB will try to duck and weave the issue and dismiss as a normal operating characteristic.

I don't think its that's common, and if I remember correctly, the OP has search the US forums, and decided that it wasn't that common.

I think it’s a case of differentiating between normal air bleeding and a slight drop (this according to US forums can vary depending on whether the outside temp is hot or cold), or whether there is a genuine defect with the block, airmatic spring / bellow.

Be interested to see what the outcome is and what MB say / do on this particular case.

I would say that if your car doesn’t drop every time you park it up over night, then it’s just bleeding off an amount of air (outside temp dependent).

If it drops every single time to the same level then I’d guess it has some sort of defect.

Parked up for over a week (indoors) and both sides lost over a finger to two in height, which I suspect is to be tolerated.
Although I imagine the airmatic was designed to be a sealed system in which case any drop is technically a leak but I guess some owners have no drop at all and some are sitting on the floor after 72 Hours.
Interesting to see what MB get back to you with.

I do see the odd land / range rover squatting whilst parked up at the side of the road as it is quite noticeable but will pay more attention for MB's.

I'd forgotten your car is still under warranty:doh:
Of course, get the dealership to diagnose and fix.
Hope you can get it sorted soon.

That expulsion of air from the airmatic is a bit urgent isn't it:D
One of the first things I noticed after picking mine up. The E55 never did it.

Haha no problems and thanks !!

Yes the air expulsion is urgent to say the least ! :)

I wonder how common this is with Airmatic suspension? The OP is clearly eagle eyed to have picked this up in the first place, how many of us just get in the car and not notice whether it is happening or not. Which leads to my second query ie whether MB will try to duck and weave the issue and dismiss as a normal operating characteristic.

Yes I suppose the rear ride height dropping could be over looked by most people. But I really do think the magnitude of the drop on my car seems quite evident....having said that if I were rushing to my car every morning to drive off somewhere in a hurry perhaps I wouldn't notice either, PLUS pretty much every time I go out for a drive, I open up the car, and then pick up my little dog and put him into the rear seats and strap him in, so I am spending a few extra seconds hanging around the OSR of the car...

Yes I am also very interested to hear what my MB dealer has to say about it. The service manager has already said to bring it in and they will have a look at it after an overnight stay at theirs....a positive initial response at least !

I don't think its that's common, and if I remember correctly, the OP has search the US forums, and decided that it wasn't that common.

Yes I have been doing some searching and also created a shadow thread on a US forum. There are definitely similar examples that have lead to MB warranty approved repairs and more often than not, replacing SEVERAL off the rear suspension components (mainly due to 'throwing parts at the problem' rather than some form of rational investigation, much to the joy of the affected owners.)

Also the fact that a company called Arnott seems to be doing very well in supplying air suspension system replacement components leads me to believe the failure rate is of some substance at least. Apparently their replacement units for my car seem to be better designed and built than my stock factory components, quoting some US and UK owners.

I would say that if your car doesn’t drop every time you park it up over night, then it’s just bleeding off an amount of air (outside temp dependent).

If it drops every single time to the same level then I’d guess it has some sort of defect.

Yes a good point. I also presume that if the ambient temps increased, there would be expulsion of air in the system to maintain the same pressure level (target system pressure level) and actually if ambient temps dropped then more air should be added to maintain the target system pressure level....not too sure really. Target system pressure level, I assume determines / dictates the actual rear ride height (everything else being equal) which should remain constant at ALL times.

Parked up for over a week (indoors) and both sides lost over a finger to two in height, which I suspect is to be tolerated.
Although I imagine the airmatic was designed to be a sealed system in which case any drop is technically a leak but I guess some owners have no drop at all and some are sitting on the floor after 72 Hours.
Interesting to see what MB get back to you with.

I do see the odd land / range rover squatting whilst parked up at the side of the road as it is quite noticeable but will pay more attention for MB's.

I see a lot of Bentley Continentals (saloon and coupe) that are not driven very much at all, parked up, looking like low riders, but definitely not through owners' desired stance tuning preferences :) Same as a few S Class MBs of the early 2000's variety. Conversely I have seen a few SLs R230 driving around as if they were on stilts !!

Hey All,

So by way of a mini update, I finally dropped my car off at MB Epsom on Wednesday 3rd for its investigation / repair of the rear suspension issue.

They very kindly gave a me C300 Cabriolet. Quite like it actually ! It was literally brand new, they were fixing its first set of number plates on it before handing me the keys.

They called me at 9am on the 4th to state that both rear suspension air bags were faulty. No evidence of any leaks elsewhere. They said they had to order the parts in.

Called me again towards the end of day on the 5th to say the job was complete and tested as good, and to come and pick it up tomorrow anytime.

So fingers crossed this issue has been resolved.

I must admit that I am very impressed with MB Epsom after sales team / service department.

I'll see how it goes over the next few overnight parked up situations and check if there is any more dropping at the rear !

Thanks for all the input on here by everyone !

Nice result, sounds like great service there from MB Epsom - just as it should be :)

You’ll be fine now :thumb:

Thanks guys !

Picked it up today.

Drove back to central London from Epsom and the car seems a lot smoother than previously...(obviously I have to factor out the courtesy car and placebo effects of the 'fix/repair') but I am sticking with the feeling of an improved ride.

I'll see if it has dropped at the rear overnight and report back.

PS: I quite liked the C300 Cab, especially driving around central London, with its minimised external dimensions and next generation of on board tech, but once I heard my E63 start up (and I was no where near it, mind you), to be driven into the collection area, I forgot all about the above and thought to myself "I'm a petrol head and I miss my Super Saloon"

Glad to read its alive again:banana:.
I agree about that start up. It turns heads every time, especially from cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom