• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W213 E220d purchase musings

timskemp

MB Enthusiast
Car
W213 E220d
I was gonna wait, but the appeal of a latest and greatest and two test drives have swayed my thinking!

So... Trying not to overspend (there's no budget, just common sense involved, after all it's the bank's money for now)

Driven an SE with almost nothing, and an AMG line with almost everything, awaiting a drive in a 350 next week as I want to evaluate if adding air suspension is worth the money.

I want comfort and economy, but all the toys - so premium plus and driver assist plus are on the list, and the widescreen cockpit (

The big questions I have, and would love to open for opinion:

So far my A was silver / black , my W211 was silver / blue , my W204 obsidian / black , my B class is mountain grey / crystal , my W212 is obsidian / beige. I like contrast but don't want silver as I find the pan roof looks out of place on really light cars.

My thoughts are:

Obsidian/Macchiato, very much like my current car
Cavansite / Macchiato - a complete departure from my normal choices!

Also, does anyone know if the designo interior is available in the UK???

Will be following your musings on this matter as it's something I've been pondering.

Do post your thoughts after the 350 test drive comparing to 220.

I'm not totally convinced by the rear of w213 however on the open road certain colours work for me. Black works v well.

I'm baffled that SE gets full leather but AMG gets part cloth. To me this Alacantara thingy has never worked. Which means an additional upgrade to the lux leather on AMG.

Also, driving assistance package. The auto steering thingy looks cool but having to touch the wheel every 10 secs a PITA. Does it still come with distronic cruise control?

The second one I drove I had for a full day, and it had the driving assist package and premium plus. Every bit about that car was convincing, having to touch the steering is not a big deal as you are still legally in control of the vehicle, but it does reduce the concentration required to just keep the car in lane and a safe distance allowing you to spend more time looking for the unexpected.

The UK specifications are a bit odd, looks to me like the SE is the German Avantgarde but with the full leather as standard.

Some options show in Germany but not the UK - such as rear sun shade, microfibre headlining, heated steering wheel and multicontour seats.

The other option that is absent from UK specs is rear side airbags. I am not sure why these are not available to spec on UK cars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that's that. Drove the 350 this morning and the air suspension is amazing. My main priority is for a motorway cruiser and that finalised the decision.

Order placed. E220d se premium plus with drive pilot, air suspension, obsidian / macchiato/brown ash. Comand and wide-screen cockpit.

Delivery should be end of Jan but some of the options are on constraint so I expect that date will slip (our B class was three months late)

Dearest car I have ever bought and first factory new car for 16 years.

Anyone want to buy my current w212?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thought you would have gone for the 350 after test drive, I've had E220 , 250 , and now E350 coupe, if its a. Motorway mile eater or cruiser, then the V6 9g is just about tops, but that's just me. Hope you enjoy it, and post some pics. When you have it. :thumb:

As per my signature, have had the V6 in the C class, was a great engine but it's feeling its age now, laggy, heavy and is probably going to be on the banned list in many towns in 5-10 years time. I miss the blend of performance and economy but the new 2.0 is miles apart from the older 2.1 and never seems to lack response.

Even adding the options in represented a good saving over getting the V6 (which has comand and air suspension as standard) and as I intend to keep this a good while it needs to earn its keep.

Also, driving assistance package. The auto steering thingy looks cool but having to touch the wheel every 10 secs a PITA.

In my 212, under 18mph (30kph) steering assist is constant (if activated) - meaning if you're meandering, perhaps in traffic, it's hands off, feet off.

Perfect for checking your FB notifications...

Last edited:
In the 213 you can go hands off at motorway speeds. One of the demonstrators I took out (had it for 24 hrs) was fitted with the full package and it was astonishing.

In the 213 you can go hands off at motorway speeds. One of the demonstrators I took out (had it for 24 hrs) was fitted with the full package and it was astonishing.

With the 10 touch, same as mine, I assume?

No but I might buy the W213 off you in 5 years, well provided you don't do too many miles, keep up on the maintenance...

Seriously that's a great sounding car and not all all surprised you want for the air suspension, I've never driven one with that but everybody who has raves about it.

Do post pics when the car arrives. ENJOY.

Well that's that. Drove the 350 this morning and the air suspension is amazing. My main priority is for a motorway cruiser and that finalised the decision.

Order placed. E220d se premium plus with drive pilot, air suspension, obsidian / macchiato/brown ash. Comand and wide-screen cockpit.

Delivery should be end of Jan but some of the options are on constraint so I expect that date will slip (our B class was three months late)

Dearest car I have ever bought and first factory new car for 16 years.

As we say down here: well may she wear!!! I'm jealous ...

And I have a build date. 7/1/17

thanks a lot for this. I am in the process of deciding E Class estate either Prebuilt or Factory order.

IDEAL SPEC > Premium Plus Package, Driving Assist Plus Package
Surround Camera (360), Wide screen cockpit, Command Online, Dark leather (Black/Hazel nut ), Head up display, Privacy Glass, Wireless Charger with Digital key in Any Silver/Grey Colour

MUST HAVE > At least Premium Package, Driving Assist Plus Package
Surround Camera (360), Wide screen cockpit, Command Online, Dark leather (Black/hazel nut ) in Mettalic Non- (White/Black/Dark Green/Dark Blue) colour

Unable to get exact pre-build spec so far...considering factory order. but not sure I can get it registered before April 1 2017 to avoid new tax rules.. Thanks

Well my build date has slipped to 17/7. I have added wireless charging and 360 camera to complete the techy stuff so really looking forward to what should be an early February delivery!

Good luck with your delivery date. I ordered my 220d SE estate on 1/08/16, standard apart from Selenite Grey metallic and have now had 3 revised delivery dates ( 1st was 25/11/16, 2nd was 19/12/16 3rd was 03/1/17) my next date is now 31/01/17. I hope you do not have the same experience.

Out B class slipped about 3 months so I am used to Mercedes delivery dates!

So it is a common thing with Mercedes delivery dates being all over the place.
This is my first Mercedes so I am on an unknown path, in the past Audi, VW and Jaguar have always delivered within a day or two of there first delivery date. Good luck with yours I hope you get yours close to your delivery schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom