W213 E63s with ticking noise from engine bay - Purge Valve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

irfan1712

Car
w213 AMG E63s
Hi All

when i had my car mapped by MSL it was pointed out that there was a loud ticking from the engine. It was more pronounced because the bonnet was open, but its a noise i feel that i've heard from day one of owning the car 18 months ago when its on idle.

Basically its the Purge Valve. It ticks quite loud, then goes completely silent. It might start kicking in and ticking away again, then it goes silent again.

From what i've read online it sounds like the ticking is the purge valve doing its job, by feeding waste gasses from petrol back into the engine.. i imagine to save on emissions.

Has anyone got this ticking noise on their E63 or AMG equipped with the 4.0 BiTurbo? or any engine for that matter i guess. Do i need to get it replaced or accept its just doing its thing? i dont want to remove it all together as i imagine it will throw up a CEL on the dash.

cheers
Irfan

Hiya, yes a little ticking on idle from mine when the bonnet is open. It seems normal to me.

Has anyone got this ticking noise on their E63 or AMG equipped with the 4.0 BiTurbo?
I keep forgetting to take any notice. I'm out for a big run in mine tomorrow so I'll try to remember and have a listen.

Has anyone got this ticking noise on their E63 or AMG equipped with the 4.0 BiTurbo?
I couldn't hear anything with the bonnet down.
With the bonnet lifted, I could be persuaded to be able to hear a slight ticking. As mentioned above, nothing to write home about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom