W218 CLS advice & sought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abb

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes
In light of recent events, my search for a CLS is continuing and am after some opinions & advice, good bad or indifferent.

I will start by outlining my circumstances, as this is a want rather than a need. We currently have a ML 350 which we will be keeping, a C43 which will be (once it's complete) garage queen/summer use only.

I have decided to buy another car for the occasional time I need one. I have toyed with the likes of getting another AMG (SL55, E55 wagon, even another CLS 55) but as most are getting on now and will need a fair few £££ spending on them to keep them right, this idea was quashed quite quickly.

Also thought about SLKs and CLs, but again, running costs/size of the CL this was discounted and the SLK bar a 55 (R172) I wouldn't be interested.

Will only be doing circa 5k a year, so would ideally like:

A petrol engine (would compromise if all other criteria was met)
Black exterior colour
Contrasting light interior (would compromise if all other criteria was met, porcelain would be number 1 choice)
As many toys as possible (electric heated seats, ILS, rev cam must have. Sunroof, airmatic, keyless, & comand nice to have)
Something not to common
Saloon/coupe
Less than 60k miles
New as possible
Budget £15k
Prefer to buy privately

Considering all the above, it has brought me to the CLS W218. In the perfect world I would have the 63, however the budget is approx £10k short! Which led me to the 350 V6 petrol, not only are these rare as rocking horse poo, the M276 suffers from the check valve and chain tensioner issues.

So, discounting these two variants, it leaves me no option but to consider the dirty diesel! If I have to go down this road, I would be looking at the 350 version (and not the SB). A cursory search has led me to find they are within budget, specs are all over the place, but mostly if you can get comand, electric heated seats, you are doing well!

I have the luxury of time, no p/x and a straight forward cash buy. Whilst I appreciate I do not have the biggest budget and have quite a few must haves on my search criteria, I will compromise on some things.

So my question is, sticking with the MB brand, has anyone any suggestion, help or advice?

They say a pic speaks a thousand words this ticks all of my boxes (compromising on the fuel) bar one! Had to be the budget didn't it! :D

Saved Adverts

Abb,

Seeing as you don’t really need another car at the mo and you want the AMG, why don’t you wait a few months and try and get a bigger budget? You can then get the 63 that you really want ;)

Abs

Finish the 43 and use it. Why waste a massive effort on a resto and keep it locked up? Don’t see a point for a boring car. Either get what you like (the 63 obviously) or ditch the idea and enjoy the 43.

Abb,

Seeing as you don’t really need another car at the mo and you want the AMG, why don’t you wait a few months and try and get a bigger budget? You can then get the 63 that you really want ;)

Abs

As I don't wish to spend more than £15k ;) Would have the 43 to fill the AMG void left from parting with the 55, plus the two wheeled crotch rocket! :p

The 63 would be overkill for what I wanted to use it for and could not justify it to myself, as well as the associated running costs of one.

Finish the 43 and use it. Why waste a massive effort on a resto and keep it locked up? Don’t see a point for a boring car. Either get what you like (the 63 obviously) or ditch the idea and enjoy the 43.

I will be using the 43 once it is finished, just in the dry, thats all. It will have taken me a lot of time and effort to get it to where it will be, so would prefer to keep it that way, so the less exposure to rain and salt, the better for me. That is my train of thought anyway.

If you’re getting a diesel I’d seriously think about getting a 2015 onwards so that it will be eu6 compliant. Otherwise you may be hit with higher than expected depreciation and inconvenience of future tax changes.

The 220 from 2015 I think is the later engine which doesn’t seem too much slower than the original 350cdi on paper for 0-60 etc but clearly may be lacking a bit of grunt in real world. I’d accept that thought for the lack of hassle of having an older diesel.

If you’re getting a diesel I’d seriously think about getting a 2015 onwards so that it will be eu6 compliant. Otherwise you may be hit with higher than expected depreciation and inconvenience of future tax changes.

The 220 from 2015 I think is the later engine which doesn’t seem too much slower than the original 350cdi on paper for 0-60 etc but clearly may be lacking a bit of grunt in real world. I’d accept that though for the lack of hassle of having an older diesel.

Edited to add. CLS220s seem relatively plentiful and are quite keenly priced, heading towards the 15k mark.

Last edited:
My understanding was the 2013 models were EU6 compliant. Happy to be corrected though.

Also thought about SLKs and CLs, but again, running costs/size of the CL this was discounted and the SLK bar a 55 (R172) I wouldn't be interested.
Don't discount an R172 SLK350. OK, it doesn't have the brutal punch of the 55, but with the right spec the R172 is a good drive and a nice place to be.

Love my newly acquired R172 SLK 55, very comfortable, even nicer with the top down, suspect that for most driving the 350 would be almost as good as the 55 although have never tried one, might be worth a test drive. Amazingly my wife prefers it to the w211 E class and the ML's that we had previously !

My understanding was the 2013 models were EU6 compliant. Happy to be corrected though.
Seems to be hit and miss depending on which model the engine is fitted to. The MLs were amongst the first I think.

Easily checkable with the London ulez registration plate checker anyway.

I thought that ssues with the M272 were resolved by the time the face-lift (post 2010) was introduced?

As the nice as the 219 is Gav, am looking to move to the 218 platform.

Have seen that (and all the others on AT at the min, it does appeal to me and I have contacted them, waiting for a reply. They have uploaded photos of the interior of an E class coupe! :dk:

Thank you :thumb:

Don't discount an R172 SLK350. OK, it doesn't have the brutal punch of the 55, but with the right spec the R172 is a good drive and a nice place to be.

Again, very thin on the ground in petrol variants. I simply could not have a diesel convertible.

Thought I would look on the approved used MB site. They have one listed which ticked the colour combo box, but that was literally it (except heated seats) the piano black gloss inlays are nice.

I was shocked to see on the pics, the lack of prep! I mean they couldn't even be bothered to give the interior a quick wipe with a baby wipe before the photo, let alone a proper clean! All for a car they demand ceiling high prices for! :eek:

COCKPIT.jpeg
I mean look at that door panel!

CONSOLE.jpeg

Doesn't surprise me.

When I was considering a 218 400, there was one which clearly had scratches, marks and even stains they couldn't be bothered to rectify.

Thank god they are prep'd to the highest standards eh!

The 350 I was recently saved from, now that bizarrely I would expect that level of prep....ie none! As an MB dealership, I would expect better, given they expect to be able to charge more, because of their shiny shiny showrooms!

So back street trader selling one or MB dealership, they both don't give a toss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom