• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W220 S320 Petrol - ULEZ question

diddyw220

Car
W220 S320
Hello all - newbie here

In a nutshell I have a lovely family owned since new UK car S320 Petrol, W220, 1999 registered early car which oddly is rust free and has a mere 30k miles. I notice that newer S320 W220s from 2000 seem to be ULEZ compliant but mine isn't, despite the exhaust system, ECUs etc being identical. My Datacard/COC (originally supplied with the car) only has a HC+NOx figure not NOx on it's own. MB Homologation department say they cannot supply the NOx figure for my car on it's own. Does anyone know what can be done to obtain the NOx figure? Is there a different technical datasheet I could use to file with TFL?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello all - newbie here

In a nutshell I have a lovely family owned since new UK car S320 Petrol, W220, 1999 registered early car which oddly is rust free and has a mere 30k miles. I notice that newer S320 W220s from 2000 seem to be ULEZ compliant but mine isn't, despite the exhaust system, ECUs etc being identical. My Datacard/COC (originally supplied with the car) only has a HC+NOx figure not NOx on it's own. MB Homologation department say they cannot supply the NOx figure for my car on it's own. Does anyone know what can be done to obtain the NOx figure? Is there a different technical datasheet I could use to file with TFL?

Hi did you solve it ? I’m trying to make mine ulez too

Unfortunately these cars are victims of the March 2001 change in taxing cars and recording emissions. Prior to that date no formal records were kept; therefore there is no information for TfL to base its decision on ULEZ compliant or not - and therefore the cars default to non compliant.
There are many late 90s and 2000 cars registered up to end Feb 2001 that are the same cars as sold post March 2001 (eg BMW e46 e39 petrols, Mercedes many models, lots of Japanese cars) and would therefore be compliant - but not recorded as such. It is a real shame for owners of these cars especially if they are low mileage and in good condition.
You could store it for another 16 years........then it will be ULEZ compliant.

Hello all - newbie here

I have a CoC for my 2000 registered W168, it has a combined HC & NOx figure like yours. There are several places that can NOx test motorcycles and amend their ULEZ status should they pass the test. I have been unable to find anywhere that can do the same for cars.

Unfortunately these cars are victims of the March 2001 change in taxing cars and recording emissions. Prior to that date no formal records were kept; therefore there is no information for TfL to base its decision on ULEZ compliant or not - and therefore the cars default to non compliant.
There are many late 90s and 2000 cars registered up to end Feb 2001 that are the same cars as sold post March 2001 (eg BMW e46 e39 petrols, Mercedes many models, lots of Japanese cars) and would therefore be compliant - but not recorded as such. It is a real shame for owners of these cars especially if they are low mileage and in good condition.
You could store it for another 16 years........then it will be ULEZ compliant.
I think if you get the COC from the dealer , and updated on dvla , and then speak to TFL , it should work

I think if you get the COC from the dealer , and updated on dvla , and then speak to TFL , it should work
The problem is exactly as @Smiley describes. I have the COC to hand (both originally supplied and a reprint) and it shows the NOx + HC values combined rather than NOx separately. The separate NOx value is what TFL require - but simply wasn't recorded for these cars.

As an aside, Porsche have a separate technical data sheet which some 993 owners have used to exempt their cars from ULEZ - these docs are like a master specification documents alongside the COC outlining various readings including NOx. In these cases Porsche have confirmed in writing where the specs apply to specific cars by VIN. I enquired with the MB Homologation department whether they hold an equivalent - but no joy unfortunately.

my car is family owned since new, 30k miles, perfect condition, such a shame to not use it!

Just a thought and it is a bit of a long shot...can you get MB to confirm that your car is made to the same specification as a 2001 S320 with the same Nox +HC figure and will therefore be the same Nox figure for your car. Worded the right way it might get you a ULEZ exemption?

Just a thought and it is a bit of a long shot...can you get MB to confirm that your car is made to the same specification as a 2001 S320 with the same Nox +HC figure and will therefore be the same Nox figure for your car. Worded the right way it might get you a ULEZ exemption?
I already went down this route with MB after weeks of back and forth, their reply ultimately was that they "...couldn’t ethically give the 2000 Nox figure to the 1999 car." and "I cannot compare a 2000 Euro 3 car with a 1999 Euro 2 car."

Sorry to hear that; it must be gut wrenching having had such a great car all this time. Thought about moving? There are nicer places to live :)

Thanks for the message - I suppose it's no biggie as I have some other cars I can use daily. Also, what's £12.50 to use the car once in a while for a long roadtrip? driving for hours in an S-Class is pure bliss. I probably have one of a handful early W220's that happen to be rust free too which makes it harder to let go of even though it's probably not worth much. maybe I'll chuck it on collecting cars in the spring

I already went down this route with MB after weeks of back and forth, their reply ultimately was that they "...couldn’t ethically give the 2000 Nox figure to the 1999 car." and "I cannot compare a 2000 Euro 3 car with a 1999 Euro 2 car."
Ask them to explain exactly where the two , or three , vehicles differ in spec .

Thanks for the message - I suppose it's no biggie as I have some other cars I can use daily. Also, what's £12.50 to use the car once in a while for a long roadtrip? driving for hours in an S-Class is pure bliss. I probably have one of a handful early W220's that happen to be rust free too which makes it harder to let go of even though it's probably not worth much. maybe I'll chuck it on collecting cars in the spring
Exactly. It's a magnificent car. You just need a runaround for daily use. £300 a year to drive it twice a month is cheap motoring for a known quantity compared to taking a risk on a Noughties car.

Can't say that I'm convinced about Collecting Cars being a good channel to try to sell this kind of older saloon. Ebay or Autotrader after Easter sounds like a better bet. People will want to see it in person.

Hello all - newbie here

First thing is to contact Mercedes with your VIN number, they can provide your NOx level for this engine. The NOx level must meet Euro 4 level. Then contact TFL with proof that you meet the NOx level, and they will update their records.

First thing is to contact Mercedes with your VIN number, they can provide your NOx level for this engine. The NOx level must meet Euro 4 level. Then contact TFL with proof that you meet the NOx level, and they will update their records.
Take a look at the thread, already tried, no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom