W221 written off... say hello to the W222!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barry Jones

Well the new S Class is here.. 2016 350d.. Never had any interior other than black before so may be a challenge!!

Car has Burmeister, Distronic, Wood steering wheel, exec rear package, pano roof, TV, massage seats and I've already stripped out the console and comand and fitted aftermarket car play... looks factory too!

Bought from a main dealer in Guildford so came with 1 years warranty, they even stargarded it too!

Haggled and got a reduced price and then as part of the PDI, they found it needed new tyres all round (20") new disks and pads all round and new magic wipers... and they threw all that in too! -

** UPDATE Check out my thread in wheels and tyres forum why you should never put 20" alloys on an S Class :) **

Things I don't like... no push button to close the boot (Every one of my previous 6 S Class's have had that as standard) No shopping bag hooks in the boot and no umbrella holder under the boot lid... so I've taken those out of my written off W221 and fitted them... Other than that, I have driven all of 14 miles in it (I still have the Audi A8 courtesy car for the next two weeks so I'm putting mileage on that.

Since I have bought the car, I have fitted an aftermarket CarPlay box (works brilliantly) and fitted the retractable towbar (Just needs coding). I also fitted the fridge... had one in my W221, completely useless unless you are doing very long journeys, but a good talking point :)

IMG_9323.JPGIMG_9320.JPGIMG_9321.JPGIMG_9322.JPGIMG_9324.JPGIMG_9325.JPGIMG_9368.JPGIMG_9371.JPGIMG_9385.JPG

Beautiful just beautiful the interior looks fantastic :thumb:

That looks really lovely! I will concede where the W221 was bold on the outside, the W222 is a lot more subtle so I'm not sure which one I prefer but the interior is awesome and with an S Class that and the comfort are the whole point. Enjoy. :)

Great looking car there! Just on the weird subject of fridges, I've done a couple of these, but seem to remember that the W222 fridge had a much longer cooling compartment than the one fitted to the 221 and the brace was completely different so I'm surprised yours fitted. Or do I misremember? Currently doing one on my car and was surprised that all the parts are still available, except the wiring loom.

Great looking car there! Just on the weird subject of fridges, I've done a couple of these, but seem to remember that the W222 fridge had a much longer cooling compartment than the one fitted to the 221 and the brace was completely different so I'm surprised yours fitted. Or do I misremember? Currently doing one on my car and was surprised that all the parts are still available, except the wiring loom.

The W222 fridge is completely different to the 221 type. You are correct, the newer one has a longer neck and the bracketry is different too.

I bought the fridge off a guy on Ebay in Germany and got all the parts to fit (Wiring loom, plastic door and trim panel for the boot) off a mate who works in an MB parts department.

I was lucky and saved nearly £100.00 because the fridge came still attached to the bracket :)

One of the easier jobs though to be honest.... fitting the MB electric retractable towbar was a lot bigger challenge :)IMG_9356.JPGIMG_9366.JPGIMG_9365.JPGIMG_9393.JPGIMG_9390.JPG

Needs the correct colour floor mats 😉

Very nice, I wanted to buy my wife a new S-class, she test drove one but nope... She wanted an estate... If only, if only they made an S-class estate. Did you not like that deep metallic maroon\red? :)

Love the interior. It'll feel more spacious than your usual black.

Very nice (and with you all the way about 20" wheels)

YWdl

Last edited:
Needs the correct colour floor mats 😉
It came with a set inside it, but the first time I got in the car it left a big dirty footprint on them... So I bought a brand new set of black AMG ones on Ebay for £45.00 and used the rear tunnel cover mat (very rare :) ) off my W221 and also managed to get a brand new set of the correct colour mats, again on Ebay, for £35.00.... which I can used for Sunday drives in the country!!

So I've got some used light grey ones, a set of new light grey ones and the black set, I have all eventualities covered :)

Screenshot (726).pngScreenshot (725).png

I love light interiors, but dirty mats can be irritating. My (non-MB) runabout has immaculate light coloured mats for most of the year and (shock horror) rubber mats for the winter. It's practical when it's raining most of the time.

Never understand why people run expensive cars with tired old mats.

The light interior is so much nicer to live in than the black. Looks much more luxurious too IMHO

The light interior is so much nicer to live in than the black. Looks much more luxurious too IMHO

I agree with you, but I have always used my S Classes for work, not chauffeuring or anything like that, I throw ladders on the back seat and tools in the boot and go and help my lads on site!! The black seats I've had in my previous 5 or 6 S Class cars used to just hide everything

The wife has put her foot down and told me that isn't happening with this one so I've had to go out and buy a van for when I go on site :(

Bloody thing doesn't even have air-con :)s-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (9).jpg

Any tradeperson that turns up with ladders on the back seat of 4 year old S class isn’t going to see any business from me...😂

:)

That's one of 5 we have... he's always "helping" when I'm doing jobs

A real handycat.
Looking out for rodents underneath. :thumb:
Treat your cat with a cuddle around the ears from noogieman.
They love that. 🐱

By the way?
Photo with the cat, the right side rear tire, is it bald on the inner shoulder?

By the way?
Photo with the cat, the right side rear tire, is it bald on the inner shoulder?

No not bald... the tyres were brand new and only done 13 miles... I think it's the camera angle :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom