W222 (s class) body

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TomF

Car
S350L bluetec AMG
Just curious..
Anyone know what the S class skin consists of, any plastic or Ali panels?
Curious because one, it's fast and two, when I wash it the panels are unusually thin, they wobble 😂

Yes, quite a few panels are aluminium which I think are the roof, doors, front wings, bonnet and boot lid.

Also a lot of other weight savings:

Mercedes S-class (W222)

Wow high tech alright!

It feels it too.

My previous C216 CL500 felt like it was made of granite.

This was a positive in some respects as it felt very well made.

In other situations, it felt too heavy to move off, especially on an incline.

Whereas the 222 just moves like it is half the weight - and is very good handling too because the weight is lower down.

I think quoted there is only 50KG difference between the two but it feels a lot more.

It feels it too.

My previous C216 CL500 felt like it was made of granite.

This was a positive in some respects as it felt very well made.

In other situations, it felt too heavy to move off, especially on an incline.

Whereas the 222 just moves like it is half the weight - and is very good handling too because the weight is lower down.

I think quoted there is only 50KG difference between the two but it feels a lot more.

Ha, the W222 does handle when it's pushed, trouble is it makes the Mrs shout at me at the same time, dunno if that's a common fault??

I do notice an annoying little wobble at the rear over bumps sometime but I'm told it's common and due to the suspension "sitting on bags of air"

Ha, the W222 does handle when it's pushed, trouble is it makes the Mrs shout at me at the same time, dunno if that's a common fault??

I do notice an annoying little wobble at the rear over bumps sometime but I'm told it's common and due to the suspension "sitting on bags of air"

I don't have that fault because I bought one with MBC!

I used to have the fault a lot though.

We were out last weekend and I was driving round some A roads and you can certainly take bends much faster as a result as the car stays level.

The standard suspension is AirMATIC which is also a great system.

I can't really remember if my 211 E55, also with AirMATIC, had that wobble but I think it did.

Do you have a sport suspension mode?

I don't have that fault because I bought one with MBC!

I used to have the fault a lot though.

We were out last weekend and I was driving round some A roads and you can certainly take bends much faster as a result as the car stays level.

The standard suspension is AirMATIC which is also a great system.

I can't really remember if my 211 E55, also with AirMATIC, had that wobble but I think it did.

Do you have a sport suspension mode?
Wow just watched MBC on utube, does look good, does it work? I'd like that.
I have sport mode but I think the wobble is still slight though.

Wow just watched MBC on utube, does look good, does it work? I'd like that.
I have sport mode but I think the wobble is still slight though.

Yes, works incredibly well actually. Feels like you are driving on glass most of the time.

I've driven a 68 plate S450 on 20s without it and the difference is night and day.

You have to buy an S500L or higher to get it and it's an option until the S600/S65 where it's standard IIRC.

Not available on the 350 even as an option.

Wobble could well be normal.

You'd probably have to rule out any problems, somewhere who know what they are doing, to be sure though.

Yes, works incredibly well actually. Feels like you are driving on glass most of the time.

I've driven a 68 plate S450 on 20s without it and the difference is night and day.

You have to buy an S500L or higher to get it and it's an option until the S600/S65 where it's standard IIRC.

Not available on the 350 even as an option.

Wobble could well be normal.

You'd probably have to rule out any problems, somewhere who know what they are doing, to be sure though.
Blimey, I'll have to wait until one of those is very second hand I think. Sounds great though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom