• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Wanted - Car phone or early Nokia handsfree kit

Just a heads-up peeps; it could be just my AV package throwing a hissy fit, but it doesn't like something on this thread
Untitled - Copy.jpg
Maybe an admin can take a look?

Ericsson 388 was my first, in 1995. Nimh battery pack - it was standard practice to carry a spare :)

1676493707900.png

I had one of those, and the associated car kit, in my Fiat Punto as a 17yo. I remember seeing it a little while back, all bagged up in a cupboard but I suspect it got binned during a clearout.

I’m using the force to resist old urges. I have a considerable mobile phone collection which stopped growing rather abruptly around 20 years ago, when my wife saw me editing the spreadsheet which I logged them all on. It was a very very long list 👀

Since then the only phones which I have added have been the phones which have been our phone, which for 15 years have been iPhones. I’ve not bought any phones just to add to the collection. I have a few brand new phones sealed in their boxes.

From unreliable memory it was a few hundred quid - probably £250 as you say - then something like £15 a month for something like 15 minutes, maybe 30 included, a month, with extra minutes being chargeable at what might have been something on the way to a quid a minute.
My very first mobile phone was pre-GSM (analogue) on the Hutchinson Telecom network. It predated SMS and data, and all calls were chargeable, none were included in the monthly connection fee of around £30.

I bought it from Comet, and it was a wonderful analogue Sony, reduced from £800 to £400 in a promotion. I’ve still got it too - and it powers up - but unfortunately it won’t accept a SIM, and so can’t be used.

I took it to school without fear of confiscation, as the teachers would never have expected a pupil to have a phone, and it was so expensive to both make and receive calls, the chances of it ringing was low!

iPhones! I love them and use Apple stuff for everything outside of work BUT I do keep them for a fair while, this week I replaced my faithful XS Max that I've been using for over 4 years now and you will all be familiar with the story if you use iPhones (and I dare say the same for Android)

Look at it online for months in utter disbelief at the price of them.
Finally get fed up with looking and purchase.
Go to basket, check out and then feel a bit sick.
Consider all the good cars you've bought in the past for less than this phone.
Take delivery the next day and remember you haven't bought a case, screen protector, hard hat, safety net etc.
Order that lot - shudder in disbelief at the cost but figure "I'm already this far in, may as well go for it"
Fit safety gear.
Put username and password into new phone and let it set up.
Look at new phone, realise (with crushing disappointment) that it is EXACTLY the same as your old one.
Feel a bit sick
It's day two and you're using it exactly as you did your old phone.
Sigh.

Really tempted to buy an old Nokia and try it out for a couple of days, then give ti to my son to help explain that you had to be 18 for 'this level of technology' back then as there was nothing but contract when I started out.

Who remembers the differential tariffing inside and outside the M25?
25p per minute outside and 33p per minute inside
No free or bundled minutes - just a monthly fee plus calls
How times have changed

iPhones! I love them and use Apple stuff for everything outside of work BUT I do keep them for a fair while, this week I replaced my faithful XS Max that I've been using for over 4 years now and you will all be familiar with the story if you use iPhones (and I dare say the same for Android)

Look at it online for months in utter disbelief at the price of them.
Finally get fed up with looking and purchase.
Go to basket, check out and then feel a bit sick.
Consider all the good cars you've bought in the past for less than this phone.
Take delivery the next day and remember you haven't bought a case, screen protector, hard hat, safety net etc.
Order that lot - shudder in disbelief at the cost but figure "I'm already this far in, may as well go for it"
Fit safety gear.
Put username and password into new phone and let it set up.
Look at new phone, realise (with crushing disappointment) that it is EXACTLY the same as your old one.
Feel a bit sick
It's day two and you're using it exactly as you did your old phone.
Sigh.

Really tempted to buy an old Nokia and try it out for a couple of days, then give ti to my son to help explain that you had to be 18 for 'this level of technology' back then as there was nothing but contract when I started out.
I wish there was a ‘double like’ button.

Excellent 👍👏👌🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom