• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Water on Inside Screen

bluecob

Car
SLK200 AMG Sport 172
I managed to stop water leaking through a seal by Gummiing it but now, when I open the door, the inside of the Windscreen is either misted up or, in this cold weather, iced up. I have just started to put a cover on the Car as it is parked outside but this does not help.

Any suggestions?

A deep clean of the interior glass all around using a good glass cleaner such as nilco and then leave a thin layer of a good anti fog spray product.. well this is what I will be trying on my own Windows! I don't believe my seals are the issue it's the recent wet and cold weather! Wet rubber mats being the main culprit..

You just have to get the moisture out, lots of ways to do that, best would be dehumidifier, if you can’t do that you could buy some of the many chemicals available that absorb moisture

"Damp Kontrol Krystals" in one of their containers (use at least 2) are very effective. About £10 for 2.5k bag on eBay etc.

I bought a couple of these a few years ago and keep one on the dash if I'm parking up for any length of time.

Click.

And sounds obvious but check your cabin filter and run the A/C whenever the roof is up.

Check your cabin filter, if blocked water can overflow into the cabin, it can also cause damp passenger footwell.

Run your AC all year - it dries air in the cabin and negligible impact on your mpg.

A couple of moisture bags may help /silica / or an ice cream tub with holes drilled in top and washing powder layer 1” deep- its hygroscopic and smells nice.

I bought a couple of these a few years ago and keep one on the dash if I'm parking up for any length of time.

Click.

And sounds obvious but check your cabin filter and run the A/C whenever the roof
Hi. I have a large one of them and thery do not seem to do anything.

Check your cabin filter, if blocked water can overflow into the cabin, it can also cause damp passenger footwell.

Run your AC all year - it dries air in the cabin and negligible impact on your mpg.

A couple of moisture bags may help /silica / or an ice cream tub with holes drilled in top and washing powder layer 1” deep- its hygroscopic and smells nice.
Hi. What is that and where is it?

It’s the pollen filter for incoming cabin air, will be part of heater fan unit - don’t know actual location on your model, but you could google changing it?
there may be a you tube video that will help you.

Probably right or left of the engine bay next to the screen . Under a black cover
Make sure the drains below the windscreen scuttle are not blocked as well

When SWMBO Zafira was the 'go to' family hauler it was constantly fogging up because of wet coats , wellies, hat's etc being left in there . I bought a small dehumidifier and ran an extension lead to the car , worked well until it got cold enough to freeze the de humidifier :doh:.

Anti damp crystals in old tights , then into old rugby socks (really) worked well. BUT , you bring them into the house to dry....transferring the moisture from the old car into an even older house. 🤔.

Or replace crystals with new each time .

How much is the car being used by people getting in and out in wet clothes?

If family are climbing in and out with wet clothes and boots, you'll need an effective AC unit to clear their damp. If people rarely get in with wet clothes then it's a damp intrusion problem.

Equally if the car gets driven, becoming warm and dry, the car will dry out. If it's only used for short hops occasionally, the dampness will stay.

I have the same problem with my R172, and had it with the R171, R230, and R129 before it. I'm using one of these: 1/2/4PC Car Home Dehumidifier Dry Bag Moisture Killer Absorber Pad Reusable | eBay

the 2 bag version. Once each bag is 'full' and the colour changes, six minutes in the mocrowave on 900 watts and it's ready to go again. It seems to work.

To dry the car out before you start, run it with recirc/max screen/max temp selected for a while (in my case, a 20 minute/20 mile commute). You may get pretty warm, but you will be filling the cockpit with the driest air the system can produce.

Last edited:
Does your aircon actually work ?
When was it last recharged?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom