What do to? (Car purchase hassles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi.

I haven't read any further than your original Post so forgive me if I am talking out of turn......

But that said, I only have two words for you - "Walk Away"! (after you have your Deposit back of course) ;)

Yep, he’s already collected the car. All went well in the end, and the car is stunning.

Still not as good as an E55K or 5.5 BT, though, at the bottom end, is it? (Yes, all right, it's all down to personal preference, and mine is the low-rev torque of forced-induction...).

It's far far superior if you enjoy the thrill of driving.

It's far far superior if you enjoy the thrill of driving.

Not my cup of tea. I don't care for revvy engines; or, for that matter, noisy cars.

You have, presumably, driven all three...

Each to his own, eh?

I don't understand how it changes the thrill of driving.

Having had both, I would have said it was down to personal preference.

Both types of engines can be driven "on the limit".

Forced induction is much better. There'll always be old people who claim what they had in their day was better, like people who think old vinyl music is somehow better than digital, when clearly it isn't, it's the same for turbos - nowadays especially; charged engines are far superior in every way, and EVs will be far superior to ICE cars within 10 years - there'll still be people who will make up some rubbish argument for why petrol engines are better than electric motors.

Forced induction is much better. There'll always be old people who claim what they had in their day was better, like people who think old vinyl music is somehow better than digital, when clearly it isn't

I understand the preference for vinyl is it sounds warmer.

To me, it sounds like muffled shyte and I much prefer CD.

, it's the same for turbos - nowadays especially; charged engines are far superior in every way, and EVs will be far superior to ICE cars within 10 years - there'll still be people who will make up some rubbish argument for why petrol engines are better than electric motors.

The sound of a V8 with a proper exhaust (or V10 / V12 and even V6 sometimes) over an electric motor is one argument that is definitely not rubbish!

The sound of a V8 with a proper exhaust (or V10 / V12 and even V6 sometimes) over an electric motor is one argument that is definitely not rubbish!

That's the same argument people make for turbos; that they mute the raw sound of the engine, which personally I think is hogwash. I'm an engineer so I love the sound of a high speed motor spooling up, whether it be a turbo or the motor driving the car, and in the future people will love the sounds of different EV motors.

I'm not saying I won't be one of the old people by that time, claiming how it can't beat the noise of a V8 :D

I love the sounds of my turbos spinning up!

Just so happens they are served on a bed of "V8".

Sounds amazing.

I had to install headers and strip some of the exhaust to get anything closely resembling that sound!

Skip to 26 seconds:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sounds amazing.

I had to install headers and strip some of the exhaust to get anything closely resembling that sound!

Skip to 26 seconds:

Was that you or Imran driving.
I think the Torqueflow guys get a kick out of ragging our cars after some exhaust work:D

Actually that run was Acid! I think you are correct though. I think one of Imran's colleagues drove it in my earlier videos. Forget the guy's name but he has glasses and a W220 S55 I think.

I'm not brave enough to drive my car like that on small narrow roads like that in case I break something and have to spend big money fixing it! :D

I also shit myself that something will pull out on me although using the car's performance like that on more major A roads upwards was fine.

I did similar stuff at Bruntingthorpe though as there is a large area you can't be seen when you've finished a run - certainly put into practice what I learnt on my drifting training day in the Brands Hatch car park a few years back!

Last edited:
Can't beat the sound of a stupid big turbo though.

Bad language warning!

Yes I am an ex ricer.

Can't beat the sound of a stupid big turbo though.

Yes, I love all forms of forced induction. Engines without anything are a bit boring for me...

Was that you or Imran driving.
I think the Torqueflow guys get a kick out of ragging our cars after some exhaust work:D

...and how do they escape the attention of the local boys in blue, given how often they seem to be drag racing along Armory Road?

Well true to his word, the gentleman who owned the car before me provided me with a nice pair of lockable Thule roof bars that he bought new for it and only used once :cool:

I was working about 10 mins/3 miles away (yes even in London you can manage that when the schools are out..!) from where he lived so just popped past on the way home.

All I can say is out of many of the streets I pass by in London I don’t think I’ve seen as many six-figure plus cars parked in one place aside from the likes of Goodwood or a supercar meet - Ferraris/Bentleys/Porsche etc. A mean looking Brabus G-wagen (700 bi-turbo) and some nice old-money cars like a tidy 124 coupé and a couple of classics, plus a few of the usual motors on Foreign plates, Dubai etc.

Had a bit of a chat with him (as you do) and it was interesting to learn some of the history behind it. He bought it almost new (ex demo) from MB Southampton hence the spec (I guess the designo paint and fancy red calipers looked good under the showroom lights)

He bought it as a family car when they were expecting their first child and had it alongside his 911 (997) which got stolen shortly after. They replaced the 911 with a Range Rover (practical reasons) and in his words they then had two family cars. His wife used to prefer driving the RR so the E63 had very little use, apparently only used about once a month, often less (and a new battery almost every winter he reckoned) and once for a trip with his bike on the roof bars.

He explained that they realised it was time to move it on when looking at how few miles it had done at service time, hence they eventually p/x’d it for another 4x4 this year when it was coming up for another service.

Funny enough, I mentioned I’d only had it a week or so and explained the issue with the headlight fault. He reckons the garage knew about it and paid what they did accordingly (I knew the figure anyway from when I first viewed the car as they’d left the p/x documents from the previous owner in the history file..)

He then reckoned that the car which he bought from them (not new) had a faulty door handle, which the garage were supposed to be sorting out themselves before he collected the car - and also needed an MoT. I have no reason whatsoever to doubt him - he tells me that the MOT wasn’t done and...the door handle was still faulty. He just got it sorted out from his own pocket rather than drive an hour plus back to the garage :wallbash:

Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

Anyway, apologies if it bores you but it was kind of nice to meet up with the person who owned the car for the majority of its life and understand a little more about it - and the unusually low mileage etc, there’s always a story to a car’s past with things like this :)

Nice guy who clearly loved his cars in the past but probably too busy with family and work these days, I can relate to that :thumb:

I think that kind of provenance is incredibly useful to find out.

Quite interesting just how dishonest some people are really, sadly.

Will, I hope that's put it all to bed now. All the doubt and bad feelings will get forgotten - wishing you many happy years behind the wheel.

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom