What 'purpose' does your big AMG Saloon serve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've done some soul searching and I've become a bit obsessed with the idea of a gen 1 Cayman S, manual. Perhaps a gen 2, depending on the money. I'm researching them at the moment and trying to become familiar with all the quirks, but I think that's a good path for me to go down.

Anyway, hopefully the topic wasn't a waste of time, it's fun to think about!

Cheers,

Ed
That makes perfect sense.

I often look at Caymans parked near where I live, knowing they'd be a hoot to drive. Your car + one of them would be a great combo.

There's no right answer, really.

What was the wide red car?
Hi Bobby Dazzler

All I could tell you that the prancing horse logo was outstanding but as to the Model of the car i have no idea.

I know what the Dino looks like and that's my skill level.

I am aware that Ferrari officionals call them Fiat's but I feel that comment is not required.

Just thought that I also know what a Ferrari 400 looks like !

Hi all,

I'm trying to rationalise the want/need for an M5/E63, but struggling a bit. I've always wanted an M5 since I was a kid, but in 2020, they're a tough thing to rationalise. Wondering what role your E63/big four door AMG plays in your driving? (I'm only really active on this car forum, so thought I'd ask here!).

Is it a daily driver, with another car for fun on weekend (i.e. really not worried about fuel)? Daily driver as only car? Perhaps you have a second car that's a diesel/4x4/'beater' to go to the shops? What about a long run, do you choose to use this (very fuel inefficient) car, or do you take a diesel Golf or whatever?

I understand that the original owners of these cars are generally wealthy people that can afford a £100k M5/E63 new/nearly new (even on finance) and therefore the petrol prices likely aren't really a factor for you - and that's great! Especially if you have a family and need the practicality of a 4 door saloon/estate, while also enjoying the performance.

But for a petrol head looking at a £10-20k 'performance' car, likely as a second car (I'd want something crap to take to Tesco), the fact that the economy on a run is so bad on a huge 'practical' car like an E63, it's a weird one to justify in my own head. Especially as I don't have kids! In a 911/small sports car, you know that economy is going to be bad and you're buying it just for fun. But doing the same on a 4 door saloon/estate seems weird.

Perhaps it would make more sense to keep the E350 diesel I already have, and buy a small car like a 'cheap' Porsche Cayman or 996... but I'll leave that for another time.

How are you guys using your big saloon AMGs?

Cheers!

Ed
Scaring young children, dogs and the neighbours when starting from cold...

If you are going to be a Bear be a grizzly....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom