• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Wheel balance

Benz17

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350d AMG Premium (W213)
Hi All,

Few weeks back one of my front tyre had a bulge, so I had this replaced, today I noticed there are no weights on the alloy, can this be right, would a new tyre come balanced at factory, I did see the tyre on the balance machine at the place where it was fitted.

The company are very reputable, not some cowboy outfit.

Could the weights have come off by chance.

Just to add I am not getting any symptoms of a unbalanced wheel.

today I noticed there are no weights on the alloy, can this be right
It's rare, but just about feasible that the combined tyre and rim are adequately balanced without the addition of wheel weights.

If you truly have no symptoms of a unbalanced wheel I wouldn't worry about it.

as above is possible, but even factory wheel/tyres have weights to balance . worth a call to ask the place you had the tyre replaced.

as above is possible, but even factory wheel/tyres have weights to balance . worth a call to ask the place you had the tyre replaced.
Thanks for the reply, did call them today, just to get there opinion, but they are closed until next Tuesday, will give them a call then.

It's rare, but just about feasible that the combined tyre and rim are adequately balanced without the addition of wheel weights.

If you truly have no symptoms of a unbalanced wheel I wouldn't worry about it.
unbalanced wheel symptoms would be vibration or shaking of the steering wheel, anything else I should notice in your opinion.

Also tyre manufacturers put coloured dots on the tyre to show the heavier side.

The colour of dots are red and yellow and this should be mounted in a certain way.

However zero tyre places actually understand this or even do it. They usually just throw a tyre on any which way

See link

No dots on all four Michelin PS4s which were changed.

Thanks, will probably still call the company to get their thoughts, just for piece of mind.

Can't understand why you wouldn't just get it balanced/re-balanced. It's a really quick, cheap job and there'll be loads of tyre shops open tomorrow.
For the sake of a couple of £ it'll put your mind at rest.

Kind regards Matt

Can't understand why you wouldn't just get it balanced/re-balanced. It's a really quick, cheap job and there'll be loads of tyre shops open tomorrow.
For the sake of a couple of £ it'll put your mind at rest.

Kind regards Matt
It’s not the £, I had all my tyres refurbed recently at lepsons, so when I had to replace the tyre due to bulge, went to lepsons tyres as they are renowned for not damaging the alloy, they are an hours drive from me, that’s not an issue for me, so will go back to them once I have had a chat with them when they re open.

Yes could go somewhere local to me, but don’t wish to take that chance on getting my alloys damaged.

Very odd every tyre i've seen has dots on when new.

I even worked at Pirelli so i can confirm this

This is my spare.cheap crappy tyre but for example

View attachment 135373
Just did a search on the dots, apparently on the bmw forum many who have changed to MIchelin PS4s have also said they had no red or yellow dots on them, apparently Michelin claim their tyres are now uniform, whatever that means, so no need for the dots.

Acid ratio test for wheel balancing is driving the car on a private road at 70mph plus.

If no vibration from 60mph plus onwards then all good imo.

If no vibration then all is well and do not stress until next tyre change. Unless you have a decent tyre fitter I know and fully understand that there is high risk of wheel damage.

Acid ratio test for wheel balancing is driving the car on a private road at 70mph plus.

If no vibration from 60mph plus onwards then all good imo.

If no vibration then all is well and do not stress until next tyre change. Unless you have a decent tyre fitter I know and fully understand that there is high risk of wheel damage.
Yes when I drove back from fitting the tyre, it was mostly motorway drive, and felt no vibration, my only concern is if the weights came off since then, haven’t actually driven at those speeds since I noticed no weights, (which was yesterday), so I guess my first call should be driving at the those speeds, to ascertain if there is any vibrations, and take it from there.

Just did a search on the dots, apparently on the bmw forum many who have changed to MIchelin PS4s have also said they had no red or yellow dots on them, apparently Michelin claim their tyres are now uniform, whatever that means, so no need for the dots.
So they say 🤣

Balance weights will be fitted to the rear of the alloy wheels .So nasty in view on the front,, most shops fit lead to the rear of the wheels these days. And as for the post-- they dont need balancing - its wrong,, the tyres are out of balance due to inner layer overlap as they are made, so must be balanced .Also use a good fitting shop to have them fitted half of the shops dont know what the red dot is for on each tyre . Google it .If the wheels come as a package they will be balanced from new .

Last edited:
Balance weights will be fitted to the rear of the alloy wheels .So nasty in view on the front,, most shops fit lead to the rear of the wheels these days. And as for the post-- they dont need balancing - its wrong,, the tyres are out of balance due to inner layer overlap as they are made, so must be balanced .Also use a good fitting shop to have them fitted half of the shops dont know what the red dot is for on each tyre . Google it .If the wheels come as a package they will be balanced from new .
Thanks for detailed info. Have looked with a light, definitely no weights on the replaced tyre, and definitely no red or yellow dots when purchased the set of 4, and also none on the one replacement. So not sure if the weight has somehow come off, or no weighs placed at the time of change.

As I said they are reputable, lepson tyres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom