Wheeling cleaning

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Myclk55amg, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Myclk55amg

Myclk55amg Member

Car:
    Mercedes clk 55 amg
    What's the best thing for cleaning alloy wheels? , I currently use wheel acid wonder wheels but I'm starting to think that wheel acid doesn't do the paint on the alloy wheels any good

2. markwibbs

markwibbs Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes CLK
  3. Forsh

Forsh New Member

Car:
    '07 W169
    It's ok to use if they are bad but not for every wash

Once they are clean seal or wax them for easy maintenance washes

:)

4. jtotheb

jtotheb Member

Car:
    Mercedes E350 Cab & GLE350 SUV
  5. Abb

Abb Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes C43 W202 Project, Mercedes W166 ML350, Mercedes W218 CLS 350, Honda Fireblade RR-D
    Bilberry wheel cleaner is my choice.

6. MarkII

MarkII Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes C-Class
    Acid wheel cleaners are just horrible and in the long run actually make the surface more difficult to keep clean - what you want is a really slick surface that's protected from the corrosive effects of brake dust and road salt.

Provided the paint on your wheels is still in good nick (and hasn't gone misty, cracked or chipped yet) and you want something that's wheel friendly & long lasting, then I'd recommend Gtechniq nano.
    Of course if the paint has deteriorated then your only real solution is to get a refurb (full strip, repair & powder coat preferably at c£50 a corner) and never use acid cleaner again!!

1. For best results, I'd recommend removing the wheels and thoroughly washing them inside and out with a good quality PH neutral car shampoo or G-wash.
    2. Use Gtechniq Iron & Fallout Remover (c£5.95 depending on size), to remove brake dust and iron residues.
    3. Use Gtechniq W2 Universal Cleaner (c£3.60), diluted as per instructions - to remove any wax/grease residue.
    4. Use Gtechniq C5 Alloy Wheel Armour (c£22.50), to seal the surface and provide protection - for best results use a cotton applicator pad to apply, buff off with a microfibre and then leave for 12 hrs before applying a second thin coat (you only need a tiny amount of C5).

Don't expose the car to rain or water for 12hrs afterwards.

Result: Wheels that look great and are easy to wash clean for 6 - 12 months - just use a normal PH neutral shampoo or Gwash.

HTH Mark

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    2 people like this.
  7. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
    I used Collinite 915 wax to protect my AMG wheels. Brake dust simply rinses off. I also use Wheel Woolies to clean the insides without having to remove the wheels each time.

8. Chrishazle

Chrishazle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 1993 Porsche 968 Tip Cab.
    I take the wheels off and pressure wash them first, then Iron X to remove the brake dust and Tardis to remove the tar spots (in the fresh air, it stinks, I think it's trichlorethylene based, nasty stuff for people!). Then a good coat of wax - I use Rimwax, but whatever you use on the bodywork will be good.

9. Forsh

Forsh New Member

Car:
    '07 W169
  10. Alex225

Alex225 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    As said Wheel Wooolies if you want to get right through the wheels and do the inside too.

I personally just use a microfibre mitt and normal car shampoo to wash my wheels.

I have sealed them with Chemical Guys Wheel Guard and I wash them every two weeks max so dirt doesn't end up ingrained.

11. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    Wheels off everytime, also gives you chance to do the the Arch liners and Shocks etc :)

12. Yugguy

Yugguy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C220CDI Elegance with Comand
    mr muscle oven cleaner

13. Alex225

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Every time you wash the car?? :confused:

14. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    If its been out in the Rain, or dirty roads yes dohh.....

15. markwibbs

markwibbs Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes CLK
    The Gtechniq and similar products are perhaps rather expensive and also have a reputation as being somewhat temperamental, susceptible to atmospheric moisture content and temperature at application.

As a super easy product, and the one I use myself, agreeing with the comment above that once wheels are clean, sealing them makes future maintenance far easier and removes the need to actually use a cleaning chemical, is Race Glaze Nano Wheel Sealant. My £9.99 bottle must be 2 years old and isn't even half empty yet - and we have 5 cars.

Plenty of good reviews too, I dont think you can wrong with it, did all our CLK wheels in less than 10 minutes including curing time, you'd never manage that with Gtechniq stuff.

Race Glaze Nano Wheel Sealant (250ml) RG-SS-WS-250

16. Alex225

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Fair play. One of the reasons why my CLS doesn't go out in the rain or winter weather haha.

I should get the wheels off my E at some point but new wheels first I think.