When to put the winters on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine went on last week

I find it slightly puzzling that folks that watch Formula 1 where constant references are made as to the importance of tread compound and getting the tyres into their best performance temperature zone that the concept of a tread compond that works better at lower tempertures is so foreign.

Fully agree with you reg the different demands at the different types of weather, for example leaving a sprayed motorway at an unsprayed exit.
On the other hand, our daily commuting does not look like this...

pmfX3rl2j

I don't follow Formula 1, though Mr Hamilton has my utmost admiration. I guess if you need to corner at 2G plus, and regularly drive at 180 mph in adverse conditions, then the best compound / tread compromise is vital, if it's icy, snowing, foggy or there are aliens about, I SLOW DOWN, if you're running a concourse car, or even if you're fussy like me, I can see the value in a set of winter wheels, but the expense of largely useless tyres is beyond me. If there are any comparative tests I would certainly be interested in reading them.

but the expense of largely useless tyres is beyond me. If there are any comparative tests I would certainly be interested in reading them.

You really could not be more wrong if you tried, winter tyres, largely useless? Only someone who has never used them could say that.

Russ

I have used them, on a Stag, a friend has used them on a 4x4 Jaguar, no detectable difference on either.

I have used them, on a Stag, a friend has used them on a 4x4 Jaguar, no detectable difference on either.

You must be mistaken, if you say there was no difference then you did not have winter tyres on, or it was the middle of summer.

Russ

Dead of winter, and in the case of the Jag, stuck on a shallow hill in light snow. "There's none so blind as will not see" End of, getting tired of the insults.

Dead of winter, and in the case of the Jag, stuck on a shallow hill in light snow. "There's none so blind as will not see" End of, getting tired of the insults.

Afraid it doesn't add up, My rear wheel drive CLK can get up a shallow hill in light snow without the traction control cutting in. If a 4x4 could not manage, it was not on winter tyres. Probably on 20" summer tyres as most 4x4 Jags are these days.

Russ

You really could not be more wrong if you tried, winter tyres, largely useless? Only someone who has never used them could say that

I have mixed views. I've used them when I had a 6 Series. The Dunlop Wintersport 3DS were nowhere near as grippy as the Dunlop Maxx Sport the temperatures went up a bit - I thought the crossover where they offered an advantage was well below 7 degrees - more like 2 (but that's my subjective view).

On my W211 petrol I was happy enough in Winter on my Michelins as long as I had a full tank of petrol and plenty of tread.

I think for the UK unless you drive at night a lot or up in the high areas or on that odd occasion we have a persitently cold winter they are a bit overhyped. If people are that worried then go for more sensible wheel tyre combinations in the first place - and make sure there is plenty of tread.

So if I was on call out duty during winter. Yes, I'd get them. If I was driving in upland areas or the likes of the A9, A82, and A93 and their branch routes a lot then yes. If I was commuting long distance and setting off early morning and coming back late then probably yes. Commuting about a city in England or Central Scotland. Not so sure - probably not. If I had a 'performance' car or a RWD diesel with large wide rims and low profile tyres then I'd factor in a bit more yes to all of that. If you do high mileage and change tyres more than once per year then it would make sense to schedule a change to winter tyres anyway if buying during autumn/winter.

So 'largely useless'?. TBH if you looked at the average non-professional driver in the UK doing moderate mileage - factor in the conditions in which the vehicle is driven and the normal winter conditions in the areas where most people live and drive - then that term 'largely useless' possibly does apply.

That doesn't mean that there aren't drivers with driving patterns that make them much more useful. So for some people 'largely useful'.

I accept it was a frivolous purchase, but a set for under £260 (fronts were free as a promo) and the memory of my RWD MB crashing in the snow 300 yards from my house was enough to make the decision for me.

I am now of course responsible for global warming....:wallbash:

Have been able to use them in the snow oop north and left a hotel car park when a BMW couldn't
And of course they are better in the cold, it just isn't, yet (really)

Cross climates or the like would be the ideal tyre for me next, here on the south coast, but they don't / didn't do them in the required size

And whilst I do get and accept that some people don't 'get' winter tyres, and advise people to just drive slower etc, people no doubt said the same thing about that altogether unnecessary fad referred to as ABS. Totally unnecessary if you drive and brake properly;)

Probably on Saturday or perhaps Wednesday (if WFH...)
As I said though, wait for the heatwave!

Hasnt snowed badly for a few years now, but wont be using the CLK in that case anyway so I just leave it..

Although come to think of it... this is the perfect justification to get a separate set of alloys.. ill be back in a bit going to have a look on the classified for some AMG alloys :D

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Cross climates or the like would be the ideal tyre for me next, here on the south coast, but they don't / didn't do them in the required size

I've run All Seasons year-round for a few years and I couldn't even get the same make for front and rear sizes! Use Vredestein front and Kumho rear.

To be fair, I've thankfully never tested them in bad conditions, but they are imperious in the wet, and there's a great sense of security having them on. Have lasted well too - better than the Bridgestone or Michelin summer tyres I've had before, and they're just as quiet and comfortable as the Michelins - the Bridgestone's were horrendous for ride comfort.

I've got a set of winters for wife's AWD Tiguan - hope to get those on this week. Other owners note the summer Dunlops it comes on are useless in snow and ice.

As the All Season market grows more sizes seem to becoming available. Michelin now do a CrossClimate+ and Goodyear a Vector 4Seasons Gen2, so keep checking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom