• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Which E Class?

Sedatev8

Car
B180 Sport
So I'm looking to buy an E Class to commute to work and back (around 80 miles per day round trip plus some business miles) so a mile muncher is required, I need an estate really as I have family / dog etc but I'm wondering if I buy the cheaper W212 or do I go for the W213 and pay the extra? which is more reliable? is the extra worth it on the W213?

Then theres the engine, I'm drawn to the E220d for all round capability / economy etc though is it worth going for the E250d or even the E350d? (might need to do a bit of caravan towing)

I've heard of issues with the valve timing on the 220d, is this a big problem with this engine?

Looking for advice please?

Thanks
Lee

E250 will be the sweet spot for economy yet adequate real world power / speed
350 is okay on mpg, but c.10 to 15 mpg down which will mount up
The ' better' engine, but a luxury over the 4 cylinder.

Can't comment on specific reliability but as to model, newer should be better unless you have to drop to poverty spec to afford the newer model
What's your budget?

I’ve had a 2011 E250 S212 for quite a while, mines now on 120k. I wanted to avoid adblu issues from the outset as my mileage is a mix of shortish runs or super-long runs. So I actually went for the 212 over the 213 by choice. The 250 has plenty of grunt, I’ve never found it wanting. The handling on these isn’t amazing (compared to say a Mondeo) so although the 350 feels smoother you don’t really gain much in performance. The 212 is a great car though, I love mine. It’s not been that cheap to run though and certainly less durable than the previous family load lugger Mondeo. At about 80k miles/ 10 years mine had a whole bunch spent on the rear air suspension (essentially everything replaced), engine and trans mounts, oil cooler and a few other bits, drop links and height sensors.... I’ve spent more than £3k on repairs as well as normal servicing but I forgive it because I like driving it so much. It’s a great long distance cruiser. The only downside is it’s Euro5 so a bit of planning is needed to avoid ULEZ zones etc. That aspect might be more important to you which might push you to the 213.

E250 will be the sweet spot for economy yet adequate real world power / speed
350 is okay on mpg, but c.10 to 15 mpg down which will mount up
The ' better' engine, but a luxury over the 4 cylinder.

Can't comment on specific reliability but as to model, newer should be better unless you have to drop to poverty spec to afford the newer model
What's your budget?
Thanks fabes, budget up to £15k

I’ve had a 2011 E250 S212 for quite a while, mines now on 120k. I wanted to avoid adblu issues from the outset as my mileage is a mix of shortish runs or super-long runs. So I actually went for the 212 over the 213 by choice. The 250 has plenty of grunt, I’ve never found it wanting. The handling on these isn’t amazing (compared to say a Mondeo) so although the 350 feels smoother you don’t really gain much in performance. The 212 is a great car though, I love mine. It’s not been that cheap to run though and certainly less durable than the previous family load lugger Mondeo. At about 80k miles/ 10 years mine had a whole bunch spent on the rear air suspension (essentially everything replaced), engine and trans mounts, oil cooler and a few other bits, drop links and height sensors.... I’ve spent more than £3k on repairs as well as normal servicing but I forgive it because I like driving it so much. It’s a great long distance cruiser. The only downside is it’s Euro5 so a bit of planning is needed to avoid ULEZ zones etc. That aspect might be more important to you which might push you to the 213.
Thanks Chris, I live in York and work in Leeds so ulez isn’t a big deal for me (yet) I love the look of the 212 and there’s plenty out the im just thinking about some of the modern improvements the 213 has like the infotainment etc I also like the rear styling
When you say adblue issues is there something that I need to be aware of or look for? Also the air suspension is a concern, a sales guy said he would go for a C220 all day because of this? Is this a common problem with the e class?
Cheers
Lee

Bear in mind that the C class estate isn't that big, in the back or boot
Kids and dog would prefer the E class!

And does the iPad dash matter to you....?

Thanks Chris, I live in York and work in Leeds so ulez isn’t a big deal for me (yet) I love the look of the 212 and there’s plenty out the im just thinking about some of the modern improvements the 213 has like the infotainment etc I also like the rear styling
When you say adblue issues is there something that I need to be aware of or look for? Also the air suspension is a concern, a sales guy said he would go for a C220 all day because of this? Is this a common problem with the e class?
Cheers
Lee
Good point on the infotainment, I just use a tunai firefly dongle in the glovebox (there’s aux and power in there) to stream Spotify etc. It seems the rear suspension starts having issues at about 10 years old, no different really to any other air suspension system. The main challenge is diagnosing where leaks are. Lines are fairly cheap to replace and aftermarket air bags not too bad. In my case I also needed a compressor so it adds up. However, the system is brilliant if you drive it fully loaded often as the car remains balanced. (Not light on the front). The C is quite a bit smaller than the E. The C is actually quite small inside. Don’t be put off by the air suspension, just bear in mind you may have to replace some bits! Have a look on here about adblu issues, some say there are ways to avoid issues so again may not be a dealbreaker on the 213. The E is a great car, I love mine.

To sum it up :D

W212 with the CDI Diesel engine - great for economy, great for reliability, bad for ULEZ.

W213 with the BlueTec Diesel engine and the AdBlue system - great for economy, very bad for reliability, great for ULEZ.

W212/W213 with a petrol engine - not so great for economy, great for reliability, great for ULEZ.

Life is made of tough choices......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom